* automatic chart switching depending on current position and zoom level
* scrolling through all charts available for the current location by "press and hold" zoom buttons
* display of number of available charts for current location in the zoom buttons
* display of outlines of installed charts in active chart
* chart rotation (True North, True Course, Compass Heading, original chart orientation)
* support of non-mercator projections (Polyconic, Transverse Mercator, UTM, ...) by polynomials
* support of geodetic datum other than WGS84/NAD83 by applying northing and easting
* tracks, way points, routes
* follow route automatically
* intuitive route editor
* gpx import and export of waypoints and routes
* gpx export of tracks
* recording of tracks in active and standby mode
* compass (magnetic heading, true heading, true north indicator)
* different dashboard layouts (basic data, detailed route data, detailed GPS data including graphical status info)
* Man Over Board (MOB) functions
* import and storage of installed charts in external folders
* support of encrypted charts including activation via EMAIL
* switching between chart sets (support of large number of installed charts)
Marine Navigator doesn't come with pre-installed nautical charts. Instead it is able to import BSB/KAP raster navigational charts or to use native Marine Navigator MNX-charts (see menu->help for instructions). BSB/KAP charts are available for free download on the Internet:
* http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/index.htm (Suite of NOAA nautical charts that covers the coastal waters of the U.S. and its territories)
* https://www.mar.mil.br/dhn/chm/cartas/download/cartasbsb/cartas_eletronicas_Internet.htm (Suite of DHN nautical charts that covers the coastal waters of Brazil and its major rivers)
* http://www.linz.govt.nz/hydro/charts/digital-charts/nzmariner (NZMariner is the product name of New Zealand's Official RNC folio.)
* http://www.openseamap.org (Openseamap charts are based on Openstreetmap data enriched with additional nautical information. The charts cover selected european coastal waters).
Native Marine Navigator MNX-charts are offered by selected chart distributors:
* http://www.visitmyharbour.com (Chart sets for UK/IRL and IBERIA derived from official UHKO charts. These charts are not free. Further regions are coming).
Try before you buy: You can test the basic functions of Marine Navigator by downloading Marine Navigator Lite. If you like the app and are looking for a comprehensive set of navigational functions purchase this full version.
All raster marine charts published by NOAA (USA), LINZ (New Zealand) and Brazil Navy are available to install from within MX Mariner as downloadable regions. Each marine chart region download contains all the available charts for it's particular region. Once downloaded, each marine chart region is available for use offline. When online, a road map or satellite image map is alternatively available.
UKHO charts are also available for the United Kingdom, Ireland and Channel Islands. UKHO chart regions are divided into 4 regions and are available as in-app purchases. Each in-app purchase gives you 1 year of free chart updates.
Please see http://mxmariner.com/charts.html for more details on offline marine chart regions available for download.
MX Mariner is useful for marine navigation featuring a simple heads up display showing speed and course. You have the ability to drop waypoints, record tracks and create routes. Routes can be activated and the heads up display will also show bearing and range to next waypoint below speed and course. All waypoints, tracks and routes can be backed up as GPX files. GPX files can be imported and exported to other programs.
MX Mariner also has configurable units of measure for bearings, position, speed and distance. Bearings in MX Mariner can be shown as true or magnetic. Magnetic bearings use the world magnetic model published National Geospacial Intelligence Agency. Speed and distances can be set to Nautical, Statute or Metric. Position can be set to degrees, degrees-minutes or degrees-minutes-seconds. Navigators can also choose to use their device internal magnetometer or gps course to orientate ship on the marine chart. Optionally, heading and course predictor lines can also be shown on the marine chart. MX Mariner also offers configurable back-light levels suitable for daylight to off-shore night conditions.
More from developer
Employers want leaders with broad skills who can think for themselves and solve problems in whatever form they take. Therefore, a school entrusted with preparing tomorrow’s global leaders must offer more than a rigorous academic program.
Leadership in the evolving global economy requires the ability to recognize and adapt to change, the flexibility to adopt of new technologies, insight into relationships with other people and cultures, creative problem solving within environmental constraints and a sound mind and body.
We hone the development of these characteristics through a process that students can rely on to succeed at every stage of life.