Pleco is the ultimate Chinese learning companion - an integrated Chinese English dictionary / document reader / flashcard system with fullscreen handwriting input and live camera-based character lookups, from a company with 15 years' experience making mobile Chinese learning software.
Major features: ($ = paid add-on)
• Great dictionaries: the free app comes with two dictionaries - CC-CEDICT and our in-house "PLC" dictionary - that between them cover 130,000 Chinese words and include 20,000 example sentences with Pinyin; 18 other wonderful dictionaries are available as paid upgrades. ($)
• Fullscreen handwriting input: use the entire width of your device's screen to draw characters. Very accurate, with an engine licensed from China's leading maker of handwriting input systems. (basic version free, enhanced version $)
• Live Optical Character Recognizer: look up Chinese words in the dictionary simply by pointing your device's camera at them, or by scrolling around a still image. ($)
• Flashcard System: create a card from any dictionary entry with a single button tap, import premade word lists, use advanced techniques like SRS (spaced repetition), and study in a variety of modes including fill-in-the-blanks and tone drills. (simple version free, full-featured $)
• Audio Pronunciation: instantly hear a native-speaker Mandarin audio recording of each Chinese dictionary headword; recordings are available for over 34,000 words. (single-syllable free, multi $)
• Powerful search: look up words by Chinese characters, Pinyin (spaces and tones optional), or a combination, with support for wildcards and full-text search.
• Cross-referencing: tap on any Chinese character / word in any dictionary entry to bring up its definition.
• Voice Recognition: look up words by speaking them into your device's microphone. (free)
• Stroke Order Diagrams: animations showing you how to draw each Chinese character; over 20,000 characters are covered. ($)
• Document Reader: open a Chinese-language text file and look up unknown words in the dictionary simply by tapping on them. ($) You can also look up characters on web pages through "Share" and in other documents through the clipboard. (free)
• Mainland- and Taiwan-friendly: supports traditional and simplified characters (in dictionary definitions, stroke order, search, OCR, and handwriting), and supports Zhuyin as well as Pinyin for pronunciation display.
• Cantonese: display headwords + perform searches in Jyutping/Yale romanization. (free) We also offer Cantonese dictionary and Cantonese audio add-ons. ($)
• Tablet-friendly: includes a 2-panel (results + definition together) interface that's perfect for tablets.
• No ads: we won't even nag you about buying add-ons.
We also offer excellent customer support - send us an email and see for yourself - and an active user community at plecoforums.com.
We've been making Chinese dictionary apps since 2000, and our sales and customer base have been steadily growing for 15 years across four different platforms. We take good care of our longtime users, too - people who bought the Oxford dictionary from us on a Palm Pilot in 2001 can still use that dictionary on their brand new Android phone in 2015 without even having to pay an upgrade fee. You can be confident we'll be fixing bugs and adding features for many years to come.
Paid add-ons can be transferred to another device like any other paid app; load the free version of Pleco on your new device, go into "Add-ons" and tap "Restore Purchases."
If you already own Pleco on another OS, see pleco.com/android for upgrade / license transfer options.
Chinese dictionary features:
☆ English-Chinese, French-Chinese and German-Chinese dictionary
☆ play pronunciation
☆ simplified & traditional Chinese
☆ searches as you type
☆ use English / French / German (automatic conversion of special characters, e.g. searching "chateau" will find "château"), pinyin (with or without tones, no need for spaces), zhuyin or Chinese characters to find the translation
☆ Chinese characters colored accordingly to the tones
☆ full support of zhuyin (注音)
☆ speech recognition (for both English / French / German and Chinese)
☆ external memory cards supported
☆ copy any part of the Chinese dictionary entry to the clipboard
☆ import any word to your Chinese flashcards
☆ highlighting of the searched string in returned entries
☆ automatic detection of the translation (Chinese → English / French / German or English / French / German → Chinese)
☆ supports both landscape and portrait modes
☆ suitable for both mainland China and Taiwan
Chinese flashcards features:
☆ smart Spaced Repetition algorithm for supporting your long-term memorization
☆ practise writing, reading or nouns' measure words
☆ wordlists for Chinese tests and many Chinese textbooks' vocabulary lists are prepared:
→ HSK (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi, 汉语水平考试, 漢語水平考試)
→ TOCFL (Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language)
→ Practical Audio Visual Chinese 2nd Edition
→ Integrated Chinese, Expanded 2nd Edition
→ New Practical Chinese Reader, Vol 1
→ Practical Chinese Reader
→ Beginner's Chinese
→ Intermediate Chinese
→ Pimsleur Mandarin
→ Schaums' Outlines Chinese Vocabulary
→ Colloquial Chinese
☆ Chinese flashcards can be saved to different categories
☆ if you make a mistake the word will be offered to you more often
☆ if you add a new word from dictionary to your Chinese flashcards it will also be offered more often
☆ supports both traditional and simplified Chinese (if you make a mistake when practising traditional Chinese, it will not affect the simplified Chinese equivalent so you can practise both)
☆ add any word from the Chinese dictionary to your Chinese flashcards
☆ add your own custom Chinese flashcards
☆ convenient editing of categories and Chinese flashcards
☆ export all Chinese flashcards to a file
☆ import Chinese flashcards from a file (ZDT format or Wheebee Chinese format in UTF-8 encoding)
☆ the app is also available in Czech and part of the app was translated to Chinese
☆ a detailed "Frequently asked questions" section is available inside the app
☆ two themes available (dark and light)
Advantages over other apps:
☆ Spaced Repetition system for free
☆ not only English Chinese, but also French Chinese and German Chinese dictionary
☆ gives relevant results
☆ built-in premade Chinese tests and textbooks' wordlists for practising -> no need to download them
☆ flashcards categorization
☆ Network communication: When using the Chinese dictionary for the first time, the app needs to download a database from the Internet.
☆ Storage: The app needs the access to the storage for exporting and importing Chinese flashcards.
It features over 12 brushes and 14 filters, custom color selection, image brushes with your own custom images, open and save image files, paint in the background or foreground layer and more.
PaintletScript is an XML language for drawing to the canvas. Paintlet comes with a standard set of PaintletScripts for framing the canvas, drawing backgrounds, creating notepads, scrambling the canvas and even playing TicTacToe.
You can learn to write your own PaintletScripts and copy them directly to your Android device, or share them with other Paintlet users in the cloud.
Think of it as a browser for Twitter.
You can set the ticker feeds to preset lineups (news, business, entertainment, sports etc.) or customize each ticker feed yourself. For custom ticker feeds, select from the built-in database, or enter any Twitter @account or search term. When you have a custom lineup that you like, save it. It can be reloaded anytime. (up to 150 saved lineups).
As the Twitter content is streaming by, touch any ticker to read the full Tweet. You can follow web links embedded in the Tweet and fetch Tweets from @users or with #hash tags.
To advance the ticker to the next Tweet, just swipe the ticker from right to left. To advance all the tickers at-once, rotate the device 180 degrees.
Use SocialTicker as a Twitter browser, or use it to keep an eye on Twitter while you're engaged in other activities.