Note: In March 2013 I redesigned how the app works internally to fix the problems mentioned in user comments around that time. Thanks to all who offered their help. - Corey Trager
** Hacker News Android has been open sourced **
The app supports features such as:
- Browse Top Articles, New Articles and Ask Hacker News.
- Read article, comment and vote.
- Infinite scrolling.
- Collapsible threads.
- Share articles to Facebook, Twitter etc.
- Night Mode
DISCLAIMER: This app is neither affiliated with nor endorsed by Y Combinator.
For the external links is also available readability.com mobile web service.
Note: This app is not affiliated with Y Combinator or HN.
Hacker News is a full-featured Android client for the Hacker News website (news.ycombinator.com).
- View the top stories, new submissions, and Ask HN posts.
- Login with your HN account.
- Up/downvote and add comments directly within the app.
- View articles in the browser or text-only on viewtext.org.
- Share links to articles or discussion threads.
This app is not in any way affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Y Combinator.
Clean, feature-full, mobile & tablet app for Hacker news.
Latest News & Popular feed from Y Combinator.
- Access Popular & New Feeds
- Read in Mobile readable (Instapaper) view or Web Browser view.
- Inbuilt zoom controls for web view.
- View, Add comments.
- Enable/disable Plugins like Flash
- Launch page in browser
- Single app for Tablets & Phones
- Clean Holo UI designed to meet Google Standards
- Fast uses Web cache for faster loads.
More to come.
You can request a feature at our Email, we will work hard to get the feature available in future update for free.
Email us issues, you may encounter, and we will fix them ASAP.
Long time coming -- fix for crash in Android 4.4 & added saving the list position in the list of stories.
- tablet support!
- improved performance
- higher contrast
- both light and dark themes
- control text size
- share articles and comments easily
- fold comments
- perform searches
- submit stories
And it's now open sourced! I welcome pull requests. Check it out at https://github.com/bishopmatthew/HackerNews
A Hacker News (news.ycombinator.com) client for Android phones with a focus on the user interface. You can login, upvote, and reply to stories and comments. It scrapes the data directly from the site, so it should be a little more reliable than something that uses a third party API.
Please shoot me an email if you run into problems, and let me know what device you're on. Thanks!
If you like the app, please consider me if you're looking for an Android or Clojure developer (for freelance or hire)!
Please direct all inquiries, bug reports, feature requests, and job offers :) to email@example.com
You can filter stories by
• Ask HN
• Show HN
• Today's best stories
• Yesterday's best stories
• Week's best stories
• Standard YC color theme
• Dark theme
• Share stories and comments
• Articles are presented in a readable mode using readability.
• Options to open other links in built in or external browser
• Poll result as a bar chart
• Error message when news.ycombinator.com is down
• Tap on the "Time ago" in the comment to collapse the comment and replies
• User's HN profile (Tap on user id)
• Option to collapse comment, and thread
- See a chronological list of items that made it to the front page (a la hckrnews.com)
- See the top posts of the past day, week, month, year, and all time
- Color-coded comments thread so you don't lose your place
- Collapse comments to save screen space
- Search posts and sort by points, relevance, number of comments, date
- Display points for comments
- View articles within the app reformatted for optimal mobile reading experience
- Easily see which posts you've already read
- UI optimized for both phones and tablets
Check it out on GitHub: https://github.com/zacharydenton/hackernews
With this app, you can:
- Browse the Top, New, and Ask HackerNews sections.
- Read articles and comments.
- Infinite scrolling
- Easy sharing of articles to Facebook, Twitter, Pocket etc.
- Beautiful Holo UI that even works well on tablets.
- Commenting and submitting
- Browse Trending, Newest or Ask HN categories with the clean interface. No orange!
- View articles from different websites via the in-app browser
- Easily share news with social networks or read-later services like Instapaper, Pocket, etc.
- View comments in an hierarchical layout
- No Ads.
HNReader is entirely open source! Visit GitHub to browse its source code:
Tablet UI is coming soon!
Also, feel free to contact me via email or twitter (@oguzbilgener). Contributions are appreciated. Thanks!
• Post comments
• View Hacker News stories and comments, beautifully laid out
• Also view articles in ViewText, Google, or your system browser (you can set each as default)
• Upvote stories (long-press on story) and comments (long-press on comment).
• Collapse and expand comments by tapping on them
• Choose from 3 text sizes
• Switch between stories and comments with one tap
• View "more" stories than only the HN frontpage
• Share the article's URL to your installed apps (Instapaper, Pocket, Twitter,...)
• See which articles you have already visited
Please report any issues to me via Twitter (@manuelmaly) or via mail (link is below).
Get the source code here: https://github.com/manmal/hn-android/
It's opensource :D
- Endless scrolling
- Handle HN links in browser so you can choose to open a link with HNews
- Handle browser share page, you can now send links to HN with HNews
- Urls and Replies are sharable
- Supports HckrNews.com
- News list caching ( not caching the website the news point at )
1.1: - fixed icon
1.2: - Handle HN links in browser so you can choose to open a link with HNews
- Handle browser share page, you can now share links with HNews
- Long-click to upvote/downvote
- Long-click to open a link in the frontpage
1.2.1: - fixed share text
1.2.2: - fixed broken dialog
1.2.3: - added option to share urls/replies
1.3: - added support for HckrNews.com
1.3.1: - added news caching
1.3.2: - fixed broken infinite scrolling
1.3.3: - bugfixes
1.3.4: - fixed broken HN link handler ( thanks Matthew for report )
* Save Offline (Comments and Story)
* Homepage news
* Ask HN
* Home screen Widget
* Night Mode (Inverse Color Mode)
* Save for Later (Bookmarking)
* Text via ViewText.org
* Instapaper Integration
* Read It Later Integration
* Share news stories via FB, Twitter, SMS
The Hacker News (THN) is a privately owned Indian company based out of New Delhi, India and has been providing training and knowledge-based solutions since October 2011.
Originally founded in November 2010 by Mohit Kumar, The Hacker News has been internationally recognized as a leading news source dedicated to promoting awareness for security experts and hackers. Supported and endorsed by administrators and members of various underground hacking groups and communities worldwide, The Hacker News (THN) has become a worldwide leader in information security.
With the need for information security solutions becoming more critical, The Hacker News (THN) has compiled a team of experts to bring you the best in information security training. We are proud to offer premier information security consultation and training services across the globe. Our mission is to make the internet more secure, more aware and more reliable.
Our team is comprised of a group of technologists who are dedicated to making the internet more secure. Since almost every organization in the modern world is connected to the internet in some way, steps must be taken to ensure that their networks remain safe and secure.
At The Hacker News (THN), We pride ourselves in becoming a center of excellence in learning. Our industry experts and faculty are dedicated to guiding and inspiring our students to achieve their goals as service professionals.
All of our instructors are experts in their field and maintain respected reputations within the security community. Many of our instructors run successful companies, websites and defense teams. With hundreds of actual penetration test assessments logged in secured environments, you can be assured that our faculty understands the intricacies and challenges of hacking highly secured networks. Superior quality securing training classes are our priority.
The Hacker News (THN) offers a wide variety of services that include penetrating testing, network vulnerability assessments, security training and vulnerability assessment product installation. Our company’s goal is to help and assist our customers in becoming security conscious.
With The Hacker News’s extensive experience and being recognized as a global leader in the field of information security, you can be assured that you’re in the right hands.
● Automatic Article Update.
● New Article Update Notification.
● Access to Blog with one click.
● Add Home Screen Widget of the Hacker News Application.
● Best Hacking News from the world wide news source.
● Mark Your Favorited Post and News and Stared Article and access it easily.
● Option to View articles in List or Grid View.
Email Author: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Developer : email@example.com
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/thehackernews
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/hackintech
Website : http://thehackernews.com
Website : http://hackingtech.in