Same as our "Chess Free", but no Ads.
"Chess" is currently the highest ranked paid chess on Android (at time of writing), from the paid chess programs listed.
-- 12 play levels (Novice->Expert)
This uses intelligent weakening for lower levels. Good for beginners.
-- Casual and Pro modes (NEW!)
Two different play modes allow you to choose how much help the game gives you, and stats are kept separate for both.
-- Uses Treebeard Chess engine
(as used in Microsoft's MSN Chess). This has a unique ""human-like"" style.
-- Chess Tutor
This option shows a recommended piece to move. This will help you think about how you should play without telling you exactly what move to make. This is good for developing chess skill while also helping you avoid simple mistakes.
-- ""Show CPU Thinking"" option for level 3+
A unique feature, great for learning chess. This shows which moves the AI is considering.
-- Chess Stats, Timers, Hints and Handicaps
Track your career history against each level and improve your rating
-- Achievements, Leaderboards and Cloud save for stats! (NEW!)
Available when logging in with your Google+ account
-- Provides ELO Rating based on your results against CPU in Pro Mode (NEW!)
-- 2 player hot-seat
Play against your friends!
-- 8 Chess Boards and 7 Chess Piece Sets
-- Review game mode
Step back through your game and see how you won!
-- Load/Save game files & PGN Export
-- Designed for both Tablet and Phone
Landscape mode available for tablets. (NEW!)
Download the best Chess for Android now!
In addition to the outstanding playing strength of the 17 times computer chess world champion, Shredder is also able to mimic the play of a human chess player with any playing strength. He even deliberately makes typical human mistakes in those levels.
Solve 1000 built in chess puzzles. Shredder keeps track of your performance and offers advice if needed.
You can adjust Shredder’s playing strength from beginner to master level. If you like, Shredder automatically adjusts his strength to yours. He even calculates an Elo rating for you. This is how the playing strength of chess players is typically measured.
During the game a coach is watching your moves and warns you if you are about to make a mistake.
See how you are getting better and better the more games you play and the more chess puzzles you solve.
Works fine on mobile phones and tablets.
* Adjustable playing strength
* Intuitive and very easy to operate
* 1000 built in chess puzzles
* Rates your play
* Outstanding playing strength
* Simulates opponent of any strength
* Analyze your games with Shredder, find your mistakes and improve your play
* Coach shows your mistakes
* Great variety with built-in opening book
* Enter and analyze any position you like
* Load and save games (incl. names, date, etc.)
* Import and export games in PGN format
* Many different chess boards and pieces
* Play blindfolded
* Improve your play whenever and wherever you like
Save 10 USD/EUR when buying Shredder 12 or Deep Shredder 12 for your desktop or notebook computer (Mac, Windows or Linux) on shredderchess.com. You will find your coupon code in the program info section.
Get the best!
-Display of thinking
-Full take back & forward
-Big opening book & named openings
-Set up position
-33 playing levels including easy & blitz
-Database. Save / load games to PGN databases on SD card
-Copy and paste PGN games to clipboard
-Simple, elegant user interface
- Challenge your friends and chat with opponents
- Play real-time blitz or daily correspondence chess
- Solve more than 50,000 puzzles
- Adjusts to your skill level to help you improve
- Thousands of videos and interactive lessons from top Grandmasters
- Interactive tutorials with helpful tips and highlights
- Adjust the computer's strength
- Analyze your game to learn what went wrong
… AND MORE
- Daily articles by top authors and coaches like IM Jeremy Silman
- Opening explorer helps you learn and play the right openings
- Make friends & send messages
- 20+ gorgeous themes for boards, pieces, and backgrounds
- Detailed performance stats and ratings
- Active community forum
- "I've tried every chess app out there and the Chess.com app is in a class by itself. It is the only chess app you will ever need, and the best choice if you want to improve!" - Michael
- “Amazing! Play with friends or random people at your skill level. So much fun!” - Playa
- “I use it daily for tactics, live games, and videos on strategy. I love this app!” - Samantha212
- “Great chess app and perfect mobile compliment to an excellent website. Highly recommended for beginners and experienced players alike.” - Brian
- “Makes playing chess against other players from around the world easy and fun.” - Northflow
Chess.com is built by chess players and enthusiasts who really love chess!
Chess Free supports both 1 player and 2 player gameplay, so you can play against friends or test your skills against a challenging computer opponent.
Chess Free offers a host of exciting features, including:
* Great graphics and exciting sound effects
* Configurable player names and score tracking
* Outstanding AI engine with configurable difficulty level
* Board rotation for two player games
* Undo function
* Automatic save when you get a phone call or exit the application
Chess Free is supported by unobtrusive banner advertising.
*Advanced 3D graphics;
*AI opponent with adjustable level from junior to grandmaster;
*Online chess server. No registration needed. Play with your friends all over the world!
*Different themes of chess set;
- Play as white or black, against the computer or a friend.
- 10 difficulty levels, from novice to grandmaster.
- Include more than 38000 chess puzzles, divided into 13 collections.
- Support online gameplay.
- Support LAN game via bluetooth/Wi-Fi.
- Computer hint and unlimited undo for beginners.
- Changeable chessboards and piece sets, 2D/3D piece styles.
- Load and save games to PGN files.
- Autosaving your current game.
- Setup position, intelligent validity check.
- Randomly go to any point in the current game.
- Provide thousands of classic chess games to download, such as grandmaster games, world championship games.
- Switch to play mode when in view mode, analyze the game, and then restore the view status.
- More functions: handicap, view move list, automatic move playback, etc.
- It is free!
Chess Free provides a challenging experience of good chess game,
-- 15 play levels (Novice->Master)
You will be surprised if you will beat our algorithms on "Master" mode
-- Shows "AI Thinking"
-- Designed for both Tablet and Phone
-- "Two Players" mode
You can play against your friends on one tablet or through internet on your own tablet or phone.
You can see list of your competitors
Available when logging in with your Google+ account
Play against your friends!
*Note: Supported by unobtrusive Ads. Requested permissions are a requirement of the in-game ads only. The Paid version has no ads, and therefore no permissions beyond writing to SD card.*
Download Chess for Android now!
/** FEATURES **/
☆ Load and analyze your games from PGN file
☆ Save moves and variations
☆ Paste PGN or FEN
☆ Share PGN/FEN with other Chess apps like Droidfish or send via Email/Twitter
☆ Manage and install new UCI engines. (Pro only)
☆ One click analysis from iChess & Chess Book Study apps
☆ New innovative feature to move back and forth by simply tilting your device. Now give your fingers some rest!
☆ Play against Engine or let Engines play against each other (Pro only. Tap engine name to see option)
☆ Annotate games with symbols and comments
☆ Auto replay games (Pro only)
☆ Supports Engines like Komodo8 which use the "Open Engine format"
For more features, Tips and Tricks, please see :
♚ Free vs Paid : Free version (a) has Ads (b) cannot install new UCI engines (c) cannot auto-replay moves and (d) has some other minor UI limitations while browsing games.
♚ This is not an app to play a chess game against the mobile or online or with friends
♚ Online chess not supported
♚ Importing external engines like Houdini 3, Rybka, Fritz, Hiarcs is currently not supported
♚ To download more engines, pls see:
http://www.stockfishchess.com/ (Stockfish homepage)
http://www.vlasak.biz/critter/ (Critter homepage)
G+ page : http://goo.gl/Axhm4
Like on Facebook http://goo.gl/P5TXe
- Various chess horses and chess boards
- Various difficulty level supported by outstanding AI Engine
- Tournament mode play against 30 NPC
- Practice mode with five different difficulty levels.
- Multi player mode (up to 2 people)
- Saving basic and support replay mode.
- This game is perfectly supported tablet device.
Pure Chess puts other games in checkmate! Are you a Grandmaster in the making?
"The prettiest Android game you'll ever play" - AndroidSPIN
"Pure Chess truly brings chess back into the 21st century with style" - Android Dissected
Experience one of the oldest known boardgames on the advanced technology of today. With ultra-realistic and unparalleled beautiful visuals you can almost reach out and touch the pieces. Created under the watchful eye of a fully-fledged Grandmaster; Pure Chess allows players to experience the traditional game like never before, showcasing gorgeous environments and unbelievably stunning chess sets.
Learn the basics through step-by-step tutorials or challenge yourself to tournaments, with full control of skill level depending on how challenged you wish to be. An art, a science, a social engagement, a means for a challenge – whether you’re a beginner, an avid player or an ultimate Grandmaster, it’s time to experience one of the oldest board games known to man, brought to life on the modern technology of today! You can now play Pure Chess cross-platform with your friends!
Play Pure Chess on Tegra K1 and enjoy true console-class graphics never seen before on any mobile device. The power of Tegra K1 allows Pure Chess to really shine with high resolution, realistic reflections and refractions, highly detailed chess sets and surroundings and to top it all off, post processing effects like bloom and depth of field. All this combined makes Pure Chess look stunning on Tegra K1 and provides you with the ultimate chess game experience.
Pure Chess is a game that can be played by everyone, at any age, but mastered by only a few. The question is... Are you a Grandmaster in the making? Your move!
Connect with friends and challenge them to one of the oldest, most popular strategy games in the world. Play multiple games at the same time, track your moves and improve your stats.
Download Chess with Friends Free and start playing the most social chess game today!
★ Connect with Facebook to play family and friends, or find and challenge a random opponent
★ Practice Mode - Choose your skill level, train your brain, and learn new tactics by challenging Chesster the Chess coach. Play him online or offline to sharpen your skills
★ View your win, loss, and draw stats to track your game play
★ Relive the glory by replaying moves on the board in existing and past games
★ Encourage, boast or taunt your opponent with in-game chat
★ Play multiple chess games at once across Android and iOS
★ Play chess at home or on the go on your phone or tablet
★ Speak spanish? Juega ajedrez en español también!
★“Great app for playing with friends or anybody else that loves the game”
★“I love this game!!! It’s as simple as that. A must have for the chess player in all of us”
★“Great game that challenges your mind, and helps you learn new skills while playing with friends”
★“My favourite app. The first app I check each morning. The only game I play every day. I’ve got a dozen opponents across the globe. My favourite app by far.
Already a fan of the game?
★ Join the community on Facebook to discuss the game, give feedback and find more friends to play https://www.facebook.com/ChessWithFriends
★ Follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/ChessWFriends for all of the latest news
● Use of this application is governed by the Zynga Terms of Service. These Terms are available at http://m.zynga.com/legal/terms-of-service.
● The game is free to play, however in-app purchases are available for additional content and premium currency. In-app purchases range from $0.99 to $99.99.
● This game does permit a user to connect to social networks, such as Facebook, and as such players may come into contact with other people when playing this game.
● Terms of Service for Social Networks you connect to in this game may also apply to you.
● You will be given the opportunity to participate in special offers, events, and programs from Zynga Inc. and its partners.
● Must be 13+ to play.
● Use of this application requires a Facebook or Zynga With Friends account
In order to improve your experience with "Chess Tactics", please write us your feedback, especially in case you give a bad rating (the feedback can be sent as well by email or on the app facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/chesstacticsapp).
Please check as well the "Chess Tactics for black" app!
"In chess, as in life, a man is his own most dangerous opponent." - Vassily Smyslov
"Chess is 99% tactics." - Rudolph Teichmann
"Good players develop a tactical instinct, a sense of what is possible or likely and what is not worth calculating." - Samuel Reshevsky
"No matter how much theory progresses, how radically styles change, chess play is inconceivable without tactics." - Samuel Reshevsky
"Tactics involve calculations that can tax the human brain, but when you boil them down, they are actually the simplest part of chess and are almost trivial compared to strategy." - Garry Kasparov
"Tactics flow from a superior position." - Bobby Fischer
"In general I consider that in chess everything rests on tactics. If one thinks of strategy as a block of marble, then tactics are the chisel with which a master operates, in creating works of chess art." - Tigran Petrosian
"...one other thing is the GM's superiority in tactics. For example Christiansen can find tactics in any position. If you're a GM you should be able to overpower the IM tactically. The GM will often blow out the IM in this area. " - Nick de Firman
"If the student forces himself to examine all the moves that smite, however absurd they look at first glance, he is on the way to becoming a master of tactics." - Cecil Purdy
Former iTunes #1!
Mastersoft's Chess game is 100% Free and has one of the World's best Desktop PC chess engines crammed inside!
* 100% Free. There are no In App Purchases (IAPs). Everything is included.
* 4th in World Micro-computer Chess Championships.
* 100 Graded Levels from Novice to Grandmaster.
* Coach Training Mode guaranteed to improve your game.
* Rating Mode that evaluates your ELO rating and progression.
* 2 Player Mode.
This engine finished 4th in the World Microcomputer Chess Championships and is not available in any other Android chess game. Designed by chess champions to play like a human opponent, Mastersoft Chess will take you from Novice to Grandmaster level! Features stunning high resolution sets by renowned Chess designers.
Easy to play but difficult to beat, this is pick up and play chess at its best!
As previously supplied by the World's biggest OEMs, and now available for FREE thanks to the power of the Google Play Store!
"It truly is close to flawless and is by far the best mobile Chess game I have played on any platform."
- PDA 247.
HP Choice Strategy Game of the Year
Smartphone Magazine runner up.
Various levels, board styles and breathtaking Retina Display chess sets combine with an outstanding World beating chess engine to offer you a great playing experience and an ever increasing challenge.
Whether you're just starting out or else a seasoned pro, Mastersoft Chess has something for you!
Coach mode showing best moves and biggest threats
Built in coach to monitor your progress
Training levels that dumb down your Android device.
Take back a move if you change your mind!
Your phone checks that your moves are allowed.
Simple intuitive uncluttered interface that lets you concentrate on your game.
NB If you are new to Chess then please ensure that the coach is turned on in options and that the lowest difficulty level is selected.
A unique engine unlike any other - plays interesting and sometimes quite aggressive chess.
Designed to play like a human opponent - right up to Grandmaster level!
Opening Book of over 23000 moves!
100% Full Chess rules including enpassant, castling etc.
Thought analysis (main line, depth and score).
Setup position (including castling rights, enpassant and side to move)
Move forward / backward to any point in the current game.
Includes Standard Chess Book Sets in addition to the realistic ones.
In depth statistics.
ELO rating system.
100 levels of increasing difficulty.
Huge collection of stunning high resolution chess sets in both 2D and 3D. Makes the most of your phone display!
Boards constructed from the real thing - Oak, Ash, Marble, Slate and more!
Save and load games.
Realistic sound effects.
Adjustable piece movement animation.
Auto saving of your current game.
Great for novices but will grow with you and still offer a challenge at Championship level.
Improve your chess by playing against a strong computer chess engine. Choose the desired difficulty and start playing. You can also play with a friend.
Games can be played with a different time control limits: moves, times, increments. You can also set the strength of the chess engine.
Other features include:
* play against another player (on the same device);
* choose the desired level of difficulty
* enable/disable "permanent brain". With this feature activated the computer will think up moves even when it's not its turn to move. Enable this feature for maximum playing strength.
* save and load games to pgn files. Share them with your chess partners via email.
* get hints from the computer when you don't know what to move
* flip the board
* edit the board to start a game with custom piece locations (check the attached screenshots)
* take back the last move or all moves, redo it, replay the whole game. You can even force the computer to move when you want with the Move now button. This will stop the thinking process and force the computer to move the current best move.
It removes the restrictions of the free version which is the limit of 25 saved positions (there is no limit on the display of recognized positions). When this app is installed, the app name in the activity bar of the free ChessOcr changes to ChessOcr Pro Version.
PLEASE TRY THE FREE VERSION (CHESSOCR) TO SEE IF IT WORKS TO YOUR SATISFACTION ON FIGURES IN YOUR BOOKS BEFORE BUYING THIS PRO KEY. YOU NEED TO HAVE BOTH APPLICATIONS INSTALLED, THE FREE VERSION AND THIS PRO KEY. YOU STILL USE THE FREE VERSION, BUT IT BECOMES THE PRO VERSION WHEN THIS PAID APP IS INSTALLED.
ALSO, CHESSOCR DOES NOT WORK AS WELL ON CAMERAS THAT DO NOT HAVE AUTOFOCUS CAPABILITIES. IF YOUR CAMERA DOES NOT HAVE AUTOFOCUS YOU MAY NOT BE HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE. THE APP REQUIRES SOME TRAINING TO USE, PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO FOR CHESSOCR BEFORE PURCHASING OR RATING THE APP.
In raw mode recognized cards are shown without filtering and in real-time. In other modes once recognition occurs no further cards will be recognized unless you restart the recognition process. There are two ways to do this; the easiest is remove all cards from view for around 1/2 second, and then place the cards to be recognized in front of the camera. The second way is to touch the screen to stop recognition and go to idle, and touch the screen again to start recognition. The file http://www.kgrothapps.com/files/cardrecog-example.pdf has some example hands. If you do not own a set of Bicycle playing cards print the page and try recognition of the hands.
When you start recognition the camera focuses (if possible), so if recognition fails you should touch the screen to stop, and then touch again to restart recognition to be sure you have an in focus image.You can also tilt the cards slightly to see if that improves results. If recognition fails for all cards then try setting the ISO (if it is in the settings) to the highest possible value, instead of the default automatic.
For devices with auto focus (i.e. Nexus line) recognition works well even for a large number of cards. However, you always need an in focus image, and reasonably bright lighting. For lower end devices recognition will work well in single card mode, but fewer cards are recognized successfully in multiple card mode. But even for low end devices (including those with no auto focus) recognition works well in single card mode.
In multiple card mode if the bottom of a card is visible that card is still only recognized once. In single card mode we look for the same card number and suit in both the top and bottom of the card. So both must be visible before the card is recognized in single card mode, but only one is required for recognition in multiple card mode. In single card mode if multiple cards are present recognition fails, you need exactly one card. In update mode we can add/remove a single card at a time to a hand of cards. In raw mode the unfiltered results are shown and you do not need to repeatedly restart recognition. The current mode is shown in the action bar text.
In the long run I will integrate this app with different card games. A simple integration is pre-flop mode where we show the percentage odds for the first two cards in hold em poker. I also perform standard blackjack card counting (can force display of count in the settings) to demonstrate another card application.
Most card recognition systems (i.e. the Blackjack counting detection systems) look for the card outline. In my method I do not require the outline of the cards, instead I only look at the card number and the associated suit. So as long as the suit and number are visible recognition will occur successfully; the rest of the card can be occluded. Skip to 1 minute, 23 seconds of the video below and you will see successful recognition of cards in the typical "fan" shape used in card games. No other system that I know of can perform multi-card recognition as accurately and quickly.
The app is real time in the sense that it is recognizing a number of times a second, as shown in raw mode. In the other modes the results are grouped to achieve a consensus, which is why it takes one or two seconds for a recognition result. I believe this is the best card recognition system for something like Google glass where you are looking at the cards in someone's hands. I welcome any comments, but remember this is not a final product, it is a technology demo.
This app can be invoked directly at which point the input picture must be selected. However, if you have an image in the gallery to process (or have a screen capture) then you can also open it and select ChessOcrPict to process this image using the share content icon. Once in ChessOcrPict simply touch the screen to start the recognition process. If recognition is successful it displays the result, and asks you to select which color is to move, which is always necessary. Then it saves each recognized figure in a pgn file, and also puts the most recent one in the clipboard as a FEN string.
Once the position is recognized you can do with ChessOcrPict exactly what you could do with ChessOcr. That is you can invoke an Android chess program like DroidFish, SCIDOnthego or Chess for Android to analyze the position or perform a data base search for games that contain this position (SCIDOnthego). There is a free SCID database that can be used with SCIDOnthego. Simply download the zip file http://www.kgrothapps.com/files/dbsmall-apr-6-13.zip then unzip and put these files in SCID directory.
For best results the chess figure should take up at least half of the input image. If recognition fails then the app simply returns directly without a result. So in summary, this app has the same functionality as ChessOcr, but the input is a static image obtained off-line, and not a live image obtained from a back facing camera. ChessOcrPict does not work well on web pages, but it will work on the pdf files for books and magazines.