Spend an hour - or spend a day - exploring the spectacular street art in the Kakaako District of Honolulu with this location-aware app. The app uses GPS technology to automatically trigger commentary points whenever you get close to a mural. For the newer pieces you will hear the artist talking about their mural.
• >100 murals in a scrollable list
• Mural photos, artist info
• Clickable links (social media, web sites, videos, etc)
• Audio (for newer pieces): artists talk about their mural
• Audio plays and/or pages open automatically when you get close to the mural
• GPS map (interactive) showing all of the mural locations
• “Favorite” murals and add them to a favorites list for future reference
Each mural has it’s own page in a scrollable list. You can open individual pages for more detailed text-based information on the artist and their work. Clickable links in the page access the artist’s various websites, social media pages, and videos as available. The newer murals include interviews with the artists discussing their Kakaako piece.
There is an interactive GPS Map view with pins showing the locations of all the murals. The pins are clickable to access walking directions so you can find even the more out-of-the-way pieces (or make sure you can find your favorites!).
SEARCH & FAVORITE
The app offers a key word search. You can search for a specific artist, word or phrase. You also have the ability to tag pages/murals as favorites and see them as a list.
• The app must be downloaded with a wifi connection (Kakaako has an extensive free network)
• After downloading the app, read the ‘App Settings’ and ‘GPS Settings’ pages for instructions
• Your device’s ringer must be turned ON for the app’s audio to play
• You must press ALLOW when the app asks to track your location for the GPS to work
• Headphones, ear buds or a travel speaker are recommended for audio
• iPad users - please note that WiFi-only iPads will not activate the commentary points automatically (must be WiFi + Cellular)
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. (We strongly recommend taking a power bank along)