Google Play for Education approved app!
2015 Parents’ Choice Recommended Award Winner: "An enchanting traditional folk story, offering interactivity on nearly every screen..."
"The "Mission of Mercy" game ... offers fast-paced fun that will certainly keep children coming back for more."- School Library Journal
"A must-have app for teaching compassion, empathy, and diversity." - Teachers with Apps
"Noteworthy App" - Children's Technology Review
4.25 stars - Digital Storytime
"Unique for its cultural content, quality illustrations, support for emerging readers and additional learning content." - Beanstack
"Great content, beautifully illustrated" - Children's Technology Review
Featured App: George Mason Center for Digital Media Innovation and Diversity
" Strong suits of this app include a “Learning” page with additional interactive content to engage young readers on facts about Liberia and rainforest animals, as well as a “Grownups” folder with links to detailed lesson plans and printables." - School Library Journal
Discover an interactive folktale, rich with gameplay! Enter Liberia’s rainforest and help one clever bird cure a crocodile of his terrible toothache! With guides to read, play, and learn at home and in the classroom.
#ReadforLiberia. Read.Play.Learn. with Dentist Bird to support literacy in Liberia. 100% of your purchase of this app will go to the We-Care Foundation, a non-profit organization in Liberia that is working to keep children reading and learning amidst the Ebola outbreak.
Dentist Bird is the first installment in Literary Safari’s series of interactive global folktales.
::::: Read :::::
Tap and swipe to explore the sights and sounds of Liberia’s rainforest as you meet a Crocodile and his animal friends and help one clever bird make a very special medicine for Crocodile.
::::: Play :::::
Get achievements for helping Dentist Bird collect Crocodile’s medicine orbs and deliver them to him.
::::: Learn :::::
Match animal sounds and find Liberia on a world map.
::::: App Features :::::
• Authentic text and illustrations with life-like pagecurl
• Touch and drag characters and objects that come alive with the tap of a finger
• Built-in mini-games that invite users to unfold the story and help make a medicine for Crocodile
• Fun geography and science learning activities
• Teacher’s Guide with reading, STEM, music, and civics classroom connections
• Printable graphic organizers and CCSS-alignment charts
• Parent’s Guide for reading and playing together at home
• “Read to Me” with word highlighting to improve reading skills
• Resettable Achievements screen for Read and Play sections
• A West African-inspired soundtrack by Dora the Explorer composer, Steve Sandberg
• Based on "How Plover Bird Came to Clean Crocodile’s Teeth: A West African Folktale," retold by Michael Richards and illustrated by David Wolobah