Featured in India Currents magazine and USA Today. Go on an adventure with one gutsy Grandma as she tricks some hungry forest animals in the jungle of South Asia! Our storybook app has built in gameplay, a STEM-inspired mini-game, and interactive activities for family fun. Created with input of educators. Recommended on: Geeks with Juniors 2016 Best Book Apps List and Common Sense Media's "Best Book Apps for Kids" list; winner of Tech with Kids "Best Pick App" award; a Teachers with Apps "Top Pick" and recipient of a TWA Badge of Excellence; a Children's Technology Review's "New & Noteworthy App."
You will get 4 rich experiences in your one-time download:
READ: An animated, interactive adventure story based on a Kirkus Reviews Best Children's Book, "Grandma and the Great Gourd: A Bengali Folktale," by best-selling author Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.
ROLL: Play a rollicking, physics-inspired mini-game as you roll Grandma through the forest & unlock powerful gourds of different shapes and sizes! Created with input from science & STEM educators from the NY Hall of Science and the American Museum of Natural History.
RECORD: Discover a recording studio where you can create sound effects and record custom narrations of the story in your own voice. Parents, teachers, and grandparents can also use this feature to translate and record the story in another language; a great tool for bilingual homes and classrooms!
EXPLORE: Take a virtual field trip to South Asia to get a taste of its food, art, music, language, and clothing with our In-App videos! No WIFI required; great for travel!
- Language: Watch children around the world say Grandma in different languages!
- Dress: An animated video of how to put on a sari!
- Animals: Meet the wildlife of the Sundarbans Forest
- Art: Discover Alpona, a traditional art form from Bengal
- Food: Make a sweet treat" inspired by Grandma's puffed rice snack!
PLUS: An original music score and voiceover by award-winning composer and voice artist Kamala Sankaram, recognized as "one of "10 cutting edge artists that have captured the imagination" (WQXR) and “strikingly original” (The New York Times).
- Read by Myself and Auto Read for Me modes
- Text highlighting
- Interactive Gardening mini-game
- Physics-inspired mini-game, created with input of science educators
- Recording Studio great for language localization for classrooms or bilingual homes
- Free curriculum connections guide for educators and parents
- One time download
- Story text in Castledown, a dyslexic-friendly font recognized by Wired magazine as a “font designed to help kids learn to read and write”
- Great for traveling: No Internet connection needed to run app or play videos
Recommended Ages: 3-8
Categories: Book, Classics, Folklore, Reading, Literature, Picture Books, Multicultural, Strong Girls,
Please WRITE A REVIEW of Grandma's Great Gourd. We want to hear what you think!
CONNECT WITH US
Follow us on Twitter: @LitSafariApps
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/meetgrandma
Publisher website: www.literarysafari.com
E-mail us at email@example.com
ABOUT THE PUBLISHER
Literary Safari is the publisher of award-winning storybook & literacy apps Dentist Bird: A West African Folktale ("Fast-paced fun that will keep children coming back for more"—School Library Journal) and HangArt ("Rich in bite-size bits of interactions ... promotes cooperative play"—The New York Times).
Literary Safari is a proud member of the interdisciplinary coalition Kids' Inclusive and Diverse Media Action Project which supports the creation of inclusive, equitable, and diverse children’s media. We are also a member of Know What's Inside, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers seeing to promote quality apps for kids and families.
Subscribe to our mailing list at www.literarysafari.com for news about new apps and updates!