Objective: How do you know? app uses over 500 pictures and questions to engage students in critical thinking skills. Children will build and strengthen their language and inferential skills by identifying and labeling visual clues and key details to explain how they know the answer! Teacher certified and linked to core curriculum standards in the US and UK. A great educational app with NO in app purchases.
How Do You Know targets the following language goals
• Question comprehension: who, what, where, when & how
• Verbal reasoning strategies to make inferences
• Critical thinking skills to distinguish key details
• Build Vocabulary and semantic knowledge
• Use pictures to build concept imagery
• Recognize and label associated vocabulary
• Practice reading comprehension at sentence level
• Verbal Reasoning Skills
Teachers, Parents & Therapists Favorite Features!
• Lots of content; Over 10 categories:
Places, Activities, Weather, Emotions, Conditions & State of Being, People & Occupations, Animals, Time, Events, Holidays, Geography
Items within each category are randomized
• Data collection with percentages for both Wh-questions & How questions
• Different levels of difficulty using or fading audio and visual prompts
• A Study Guide and tutorial section called “Let’s Talk About It!”
• Email reports and share results with parents, teachers, & therapists
• 100 name capacity; edit to add/delete names
• A "Read to Me" option; audio on/off
• Practice reading at phrase & sentence level
• Reinforcement; encouraging audio feedback for correct & incorrect responses
• “Listen Again” button:
* Let’s Talk About: a tutorial section to introduce/review vocabulary and explain verbal reasoning strategies.
Developed by a certified SLP with over 28 years of clinical experience
About the author: Lynn Epstein, MS, ASHA certified speech language pathologist with over 28 years of clinical experience in child language and communication development. How Do You Know? app is based on successful strategies and lessons used with thousands of students to strengthen communication and verbal reasoning skills. Lynn Epstein can be contacted at Howdoyouknowapp@gmail.com
Follow instant therapy ideas at #MissLynnSLP
How Do You Know? App is an effective tool to practice inferential skills and critical thinking. Verbal reasoning and critical thinking are necessary skills for meeting core curriculum standards and competence across the curriculum. Students engaged in critical thinking must make associations that connect problems with their prior knowledge (Pellegrini, 1995). Research shows questioning prompts students to engage in a research process that fosters higher-order thinking skills and social-moral attitudes (Daniel et al., 2005). Difficulty answering wh- questions affects a child academically, linguistically, and socially. (Parnell, 1986). How Do You Know? uses pictures and questions to engage language strategies that prompt children to look for visual clues and name key details to explain their answers. Students learn how to answer questions with relevant information. Students practice verbal reasoning by explaining the inferences they make while playing How Do You Know?
Finally an app that goes beyond the WH questions and gets into..."how do you know?". This a great app with my ASD (autism spectrum disorder) population. Kelley A Ford, MS,SLP-CCC, private practicioner