If you are a student, tourist or traveler, it will helps you to learn the language!
Irish is the national language of Republic of Ireland and also spoken in Northern Ireland, United States and Canada.
***This is a fully functional trial!***
The clear, colour layout offers the user maximum accessibility in a compact, handy format. Retaining all the highly-acclaimed attributes of the Collins range - unparalleled accuracy, immediate accessibility and unrivalled user-friendliness - the Collins Pocket Irish Dictionary offers extensive up-to-date coverage of contemporary Irish and English with thousands of current constructions and phrases.
The Foremost Authority on the Language of Today
• Comprehensive and authoritative, with all the words and phrases you need
• Extra help with difficult words
• Easy-to-use colour layout helps you find what you are looking for quickly and easily
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
• A quick search of words while you type.
• A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
• A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
• Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
• A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
• History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
• Discover more using the included special language notes.
• See words in context with example sentences.
• 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.
The Full verions of this app now available on Android market which includes:
- If you not familiar with the Irish language there is a link which downloads a sound file of how the translations should be pronounced (Donegal accent).
- Online search includes full sentence translation and the contents of Focal.ie and the O'Donaill dictionary
* 10,000 most frequently used words from each language
* A selection of the most frequently used words in everyday language *
* Additional English explanation for all English headwords to help you enrich your language
* Quick search of words while you type
* Fast article scrolling
* History to see the last 50 words you have looked up
* Filters to help you locate the word you are searching for:
* Fuzzy filter- used when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
* Keyword-used to locate the instances of a key word within other compound words
* Wild card - "?" and "*" replace a letter and group of letters in words
* Pinch zoom
Other available dictionaries:
Our bilingual and bidirectional dictionaries to English are available for the following languages:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Canadian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Estonian, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Latviaic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Latvian, Macedonian, Malay, Maltese, Mandarin, Netherlands, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Iceland, Welsh and Yiddish.
Afrikaans, Albanian, Ancient Greek, Arabic, Armenian, Azeri, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Breton, Bulgarian, Burmese, Burmese, Cantonese, Catalan, Chinese|Mandarin, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Faroese, Finnish, French, Gaelic, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Haitian Creole, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Maori, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Sanskrit, Serbian, Slovak, Slovene|Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tajik, Tamil, Thai, Tibetan, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh, Yiddish, Zulu
The ‘Enjoy Irish’ app is designed for the adult learner and is based on the book & CD of the same name. It is ideal for the person who wants to see and hear Irish spoken for the first time and for those who would like to refresh the Irish learned at school. The cartoon characters Seán and Gráinne get to know each other using simple and amusing role-plays.
Learn your first Irish phrases in minutes!
Refresh the Irish you learned at school
Ideal for practising your spoken Irish
Accompanying Book + CD available from: www.siopagaeilge.ie
How to use it
Listen to the native speakers while reading the Irish language text of the short role-plays, prompted by the optional English translation, if desired. Choose one short conversation from each role-play every day and always revise the previous day’s lesson. Enjoy Irish!
Oideas Gael has been teaching the Irish language to adult learners since 1984. During this period thousands of learners, from Ireland and all around the world, have attended our classes and have been taught by our excellent panel of teachers drawn from all over Ireland. The Oideas Gael ‘formula’ for learning Irish utilises the communicative method of learning, where emphasis is placed on using the spoken language in a relaxed but structured environment.
The 'Enjoy Irish' foundation course contains the fundamentals required for achieving a good basis in Irish. The role-play format, with its easy-to-understand explanations, is an enjoyable and informal way to kick off your Irish language learning. A sound foundation is essential to getting off to a good start in most projects in life and this is the ingredient supplied by our course. It will enable you to set out on a journey of discovery and enjoy the magical world of the Irish language.
Enjoy Irish (book & CD) is published by Oideas Gael: www.oideas-gael.com and is available (€15) from An Siopa Gaeilge: www.siopagaeilge.ie
Text: Dr Eithne Ní Ghallchobhair
Cartoons: Donal Casey: www.donalcasey.com
Recording: Keith Sherry: www.soundofvoices.ie
Book + CD part-funded by Iontaobhas Ultach: www.ultach.org
Sponsored by Údarás na Gaeltachta: www.udaras.ie
App developed by Maithú IT Solutions: www.maithu.com
Enjoy, Irish, Gaelic, Gaeilge, language, learn, course, oideas, gael, speaking, Teach, Ireland, Beo
If you not familiar with the Irish language there is a link which downloads a sound file of how the word should be pronounced (Donegal accent).
The text content in this application has been approved by the Irish language body, Foras na Gaeilge.
If for some reason you cannot install the app please email us (email@example.com) with details of the problem you have and your phone make and software version.
- It contains 13,000 off-line words and terms (No internet connection needed)
- Includes Irish Pronunciations
- Includes online search of the O'Dónaill Dictionary and the Irish terminology database at focal.ie
- Translate sentences (From Google translate)
The content has been approved by the Irish language board and was voiced by Colm Ó Snodaigh of popular Irish band Kíla
Before leaving negative feedback please email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) with details of the problem you have encountered installing the app or suggested improvements.
We have tested the app on several handsets but are always happy to fix any problems highlighted on handsets we have missed out on.