Parenting Tool Cards
These Positive Discipline Parenting Tools. Provide many alternatives to punishment that also teach children valuable social and life skills such as self-discipline, responsibility, cooperation, and problem-solving skills. These skills help children develop a sense of self-reliance and capability that will serve them throughout their lives.
You’ll notice that none of these tools include any kind of punishment, rewards, or praise (all extrinsic motivators that research keeps showing over and over again do not work). These are tools that provide intrinsic motivation to develop self-reliant children that become happy, successful, contributing members of society. Every tool meets all of the Five Criteria for Positive Discipline:
1. Helps children feel a sense of connection? (Belonging and Significance)
2. Is kind and firm at the same time (Respectful and Encouraging)
3. Is effective long-term, (See the following two criteria)
4. Teaches valuable social and life skills for good character? (Respect, concern for others, problem-solving, cooperation)
5. Invites children to discover how capable they are? (Encourages the constructive use of personal power and autonomy)
For more information or customer service, please go to our contact information at www.positivediscipline.com where you will also find other Positive Discipline products by Jane Nelsen and co-authors, Lynn Lott, H. Stephen Glenn, Cheryl Erwin, Roslyn Duffy, et al.