Oxford A-Z of English usage - a quick and effective guide to proper English.
• All the essential information about usage and correct English that is needed on a day-to-day basis
• Entries on common issues of uncertainty and confusion in handy A-Z sequence
• More than 20 feature articles on specific subjects such as hyphenation or Latin plurals
• Based on Oxford's world-leading dictionary research and contemporary language monitoring
• NEW! Lookup words in any other Android app with the Tap to Translate feature, and do it in style with any of the four colorful new themes.
Is it correct to pronounce "mischievous" as a three-syllable word (miss -chi-vuhss) or a four-syllable word (miss-chee -vi-uhss)?
Should we write "12 am" or "12 a.m."?
If it is right to use "alumni" as the plural of "alumnus," why is it wrong to use "octopi" as the plural of "octopus"?
What is the difference between "principle" and "principal"? Is it "just desserts" or "just deserts"?
If you don't know the answer to these questions, then Oxford A-Z of English Usage is just what you are looking for, containing a gold mine of useful advice on a wide array of common writing and speaking problems.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems, Inc.
SEARCH TOOLS - effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience the dictionary combines several search tools to match or suggest what you are looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
• Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
• Use our Voice search when you don't know how an entry is spelled
• NEW! Tap to Translate entries in other apps
• Share word definitions via installed apps on your device
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary.
• Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies the way you see fit the 'Favorites' option allows you to create custom folders with lists of words from the vast library of entries
• ‘Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
• ‘Word of the day’ section to expand your vocabulary daily
• Home screen widget provides random words at a glance
Get MORE by purchasing the full version:
• Permanently unlock the complete features list
• Offline mode - look up words without an internet connection
• Premium Support – Get expedited support for any app-related issues