This app simulates a metal leaf electroscope. With it, you can demonstrate: induced charge separation, charging by conduction, charging by induction and grounding.
- Use the slider bar on the left to give the rod a positive or negative charge. While the rod is in its resting place it will not affect electrons in the electroscope
- Move the rod from its resting place to see the effect it has on the electroscope.
- Touch the rod to the center of the top of the electroscope (the large circle) to charge by conduction. If the rod is negative, electrons will move into the electroscope. If the rod is positive, they will move out of the electroscope.
- Place the rod back in its resting place to see the final effect.
- Attach the ground to the right side of the top of the electroscope to ground or charge by induction.
- After each mini-experiment, if electrons were transferred, hit the reset orange arrow in the top right to reset all electrons for the next experiment.
- If charging the electroscope by induction, make sure the electroscope gains a charge of at least +/- 90 in order to see separation of the leaves.