This app runs in the background and monitors the official National Weather Service (NWS) alerts for your area. New alerts will appear on the status bar, and by selecting it, you can read the details.
You can also choose how urgent of a notification to get, based on the NWS Severity. An Extreme alert coming through? Then you'd probably like vibrate, lights AND bell for that! But a simple Wind Warning? Probably not as much. You can choose the level of response in the preferences.
Simple Weather Alert allows you to monitor one location for NWS alerts. If you want to monitor more locations (including locations that move with you), then consider purchasing Pro Weather Alert.
Simple Weather Alert Features:
+ Monitor NWS weather alerts for your area
+ Choose how to be notified (lights, bell, vibrate)
+ Modify notification based on NWS severity (go crazy for extreme alerts, such as Tornado Warning)
+ Alerts keep updated automatically as long as you have connectivity
+ Browse the alert list when there are multiple alerts, and read the details and instructions for the 2 MOST SEVERE alerts, as well as any EXTREME alerts.
+ An app widget added to your home screen allows for easy on/off toggling of lights, vibrate and sound settings. The alerts will still be checked and put on your status bar though, so you can keep an eye on it during class or church, without it causing distraction.
+ Key words and phrases list. Create a list of words or phrases, and when an alert is received that contains those words or phrases, it will be marked in the alerts list with an icon, and the phrases will be highlighted when you read the alert details.
+ Email an alert to friends or send via text message (requires Contacts List permission), so they can be warned as well.
+ Post an alert on Facebook or your Twitter feed, to get the word out fast.
+ Input your location by city, county, zip code, or let the app find your phone location by GPS or network location providers.
You can view the app manual here:
An explanation of permissions: The SMS and Contacts List permission are required so you can send an alert to someone via text message. The contacts list permission allows for easier selecting of the number.
IMPORTANT: While we take all possible precautions to make sure this app will get you critical alerts on time, the unforseen can still occur, as well as simple cell/network outages. Thus, we do not recommend that you ever rely on this app ALONE for tornado warnings. Please use this app along with other methods to ensure you are alerted in time.
NOTE: If you are certain the app is not sending you the alerts it should, please use Menu:Troubleshooting to send us debug info about it so we can work to resolve it quickly.
If you run into any other issues with this app or have questions, send us a note in the Menu:Troubleshooting screen. Also, visit the developers blog on our website for a list of current issues we are addressing.
The Alert Works app is your companion app for the Alert Works Emergency Alert Radio offered at many retailers and online. Combine the app with an Alert Works Radio for added safety and convenience during severe weather events. Both can be used in tandem to provide weather alerts for your home, while traveling and for friends and family. The app is powered by Weather Decision Technologies' highly scalable, fully redundant, alerting and messaging engine. With the Alert Works app you have access to hourly, daily and extended weather information, forecasts as well as the ability to view watches and warnings for multiple locations.
You will also get a free trial of premium features at start-up and at the end of the trial you may purchase the premium features including push notifications for more than 100 National Weather Service alert types, up to six locations (5 static and 1 "follow me"), voice announcements of alerts, spoken alert details, spoken forecasts, alerts based on your current location tracked in the background, and more.
**** Free FEATURES ****
• Current conditions, hourly and daily forecasts, and severe weather alert badges and text for your current location
• Level 3 interactive radar, animation/loops and visible satellite map
• One, two, and three-day outlooks from NOAA's Storm Prediction Center
• Twitter & Facebook feeds, and forecast, winter and news feed from WDT's WeatherOps team
• Free trial period for the full alert package
**** IN-APP PURCHASES ****
• Free trial period for the features listed below)
• Push Notifications – Receive push notifications for severe weather warning, watches, and advisories issues by the National Weather Service
• Premium Pack – Enable push notifications, background tracking, voice alerts and forecasts, and map layers (including warnings, watches, hurricane tracks), plus five saved locations and current location.
*Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life
*Alerts are for the United States only.
Press on any image to go the SPC webpage for more details.
Settings include options to update every 15 minutes, 30 minutes, every hour, twice a day or once a day. Hit the Refresh button on the widget at anytime to see an instant update of the most current information. Play a sound at every update (veteran chasers will recognize this sound!) or uncheck sounds.
Instructions for install:
1) Go to your apps button (On KitKat and greater after long press on the homescreen you'll see widgets at the bottom of the screen.)
2) Select the Widgets tab. Long press on the SPC Widget (light blue background).
3) Drag to the area you want it on your homescreen.
4) See the config screen and choose your settings for update frequency and sounds.
5) Save and then see it on the screen.
6) Long press again to resize.
7) Long press and move to trash can to delete.
8) Repeat 1) - 6) to add again.
To get back to the config screen you have to delete your widget from the screen by dragging it to the trashcan then install a new one. Then you will see the config screen again and can set a new update time or disable the sound on the new one.
(c)2014 Apexice All Rights Reserved
This app is an open source app and you can check the code at https://github.com/survivingwithandroid/Swa-app/tree/master/AndroidYahooWeather.
The App contains:
★ Doppler Loop feed
★ European Weather Loop feed
★ Take Video and instantly share out to your network(s)
★ Storm Handbook
★ Cloud Formations
★ Inbuilt RSS readers - already setup to read NOAA (US) and Met Office (UK) news feeds
★ Inbuilt RSS readers - already setup to read Storm Chaser Network (reports and position) feeds
★ In-App browsing of latest weather information - NOAA Severe Weather Alerts (US) and Met Office Severe Weather (UK)
★ Built-in Search feature - type a keyword and it searches our App and shows you the results
★ Built-in Aviary Photo Effects - take your favourite Storm / Weather photos and add effects
★ Built-in Notes feature - take and update your notes as you go
All contained within one App - a raft of information and functions at your fingertips.
■ Our App updates are always FREE and we never put ads in our paid for Apps.
If you see a mistake or want something adding, drop us an email and we will do our best to include suggestions in future App updates.
Our "Info" tab contains App information - including last and next update dates. So, keep checking as our info page changes regularly to reflect our App status. The info page also has our email link for contact.
Tornado Season has all the information you need and lots of useful extras too. What are you waiting for?
Radar Alive! is suitable for storm chasers, professional meteorologists, emergency personnel, SKYWARN spotters and weather enthusiasts. It has a wide selection of US radar products (image types). NWS severe weather warnings are displayed along with a customizable low clutter map with cities, roads, counties and states. The display is suitable for both phones and tablets.
Choose from a complete menu of radar products at multiple tilt angles, including composite and base reflectivity, base and storm relative velocity, VIL, hydrometeor classification (type of precipitation) and others. Spot tornadoes with the velocity and base reflectivity plots; view warning boxes and warning text; dodge hail with the hydrometeor classification display.
Radar Alive!'s precision images are generated from NOAA's NEXRAD Level III binary data (NWS weather radar). Carefully simplified maps minimize clutter on the radar display.
With an AllisonHouse subscription, you get an alternate source of radar data, along with new products including lightning, watches, local storm reports, and SPC Day 1 convective outlook
The serious user will appreciate advanced features, such as smart GPS usage to conserve battery power; network bandwidth conservation; and, maps optimized for weather radars.
A full Spotter Network client is included. It can display the positions of active Spotter Network users. You can use it to automatically report your position to Spotter Network, and to make reports of weather events. When the main app is not in use, it can run in the background, where it can be controlled from an icon in the notification bar of the device.
Radar Alive! was written by a dedicated storm chaser for the serious meteorological user.
Extensive help is available within the app. If you experience problems, or to learn how to best use Radar Alive Pro, use the menu button to select the help pages or ask for advice or support on the supplied form.
Support is also available by email, and suggestions are welcome.
More information is available at the developer's web site at http://www.radaralive.com/">developer's web site.
The First Warn Weather experience for Android offers:
- Interactive, scalable, loopable radar
- 7-day forecast
- Daily WeatherRisk assessment
- Regional Forecasts for territories in the WTVO-TV and WQRF-TV viewing area
- Updated weather information provided by the First Warn Weather Blog, contributed to by First Warn meteorologists.
Download the 4 Warn Weather app for fast, accurate local and national weather at your fingertips. With its personal alert notifications, you'll know when significant weather is heading your way and when to take cover. And when you are traveling, use 4 Warn Weather to get real-time weather forecasts, interactive radar and current conditions for anywhere in the U.S.
The 4 Warn Weather app utilizes the most advanced radar maps, weather and digital technology available. With its easy to use interactive radar, you can take control and see where the storm is now and where it is tracking. Then, set customized alerts to keep you and your family informed and safe.
- Live interactive radar with many layering options lets you track the storms around you
- Alerts for severe weather go to your home screen and cue an audio alert
- The most accurate hour-by-hour forecast for the next day and week ahead for Buffalo, NY
- The latest video forecast from 4 Warn Weather
- Current weather conditions for Buffalo, NY and anywhere in the United States
- Share the weather conditions via text message, email, Facebook or Twitter
- You can set multiple custom locations to track forecasts, alerts, radar, and more
- Closings and delays for Buffalo, NY
- Live streaming video from News 4
Mobile Storm Chaser brings you up to date information from the Storm Prediction Center including Day 1 Outlooks and Tornado Probabilities, real-time Watches and Warnings directly from the SPC, and Radar.
All links open up in an IN APP browser, so you don't have to navigate back to the application every time you want to see one of the links.
Blog link to our site
Day 1 Outlook, Text, Tor, Hail, and Wind Probs
Day 2 Outlook, Prob And Text
Day 3 Outlook, Prob And text
Day 4-8 Outlook
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
**On of the "Best New Android Apps From The Last 3 Weeks" (2/23/13 - 3/12/13)**
Get your family and home ready for a tornado. The American Red Cross tornado app is the complete solution you need to understand and prepare for a tornado and all that comes with it. With interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to be ready!
Ahora disponible en español.
• Easy to use Spanish language toggle to switch translation directly inside the app.
• Audible siren when NOAA issues a Tornado warning for any of your monitored locations letting you know when it’s time to go to your safe room plus an all-clear alert when the warning expires (Note: Alerts' sounds will NOT override if phone is on vibrate or in sleep mode)
• Simple step-by-step instructions to help you know what-to-do even if the cell towers and TVs are down. Prioritized actions for before, during, and after requires no mobile connectivity
• Help distant friends and family in tornado alley with ability to receive tornado watch and warning alerts based on their location from NOAA
• Red Cross location-based open shelters map for when you need it most
• Be ready should a tornado hit by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation
• Reduce your household’s stress and anxiety should a tornado hit by learning to make and practice an emergency plan
• Interactive quizzes allow you to earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your tornado knowledge
• Know how many tornadoes have occurred in your area
• Know the difference between a watch and a warning
• Learn how to deal with food and water impacted by floods and power outages
• Simply let friends/family know you’re safe with customizable “I’m Safe” notification sharable thru social media, text and email
• Let others know where you are with the Toolkit’s strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions
Copyright © 2013-2014 The American National Red Cross
Watch live severe weather broadcasts, check the local radar, and receive up-to-the-minute forecast information from six meteorologists covering the Natural State!