The Brampton Professional Fire Fighters Association was chartered as Local 1068 by the International Association of Fire Fighters on October 25, 1950.
On January 1, 1974 as a result of Regional Government coming into effect the former Town of Brampton, the Township of Chinguacousy and the Township of Toronto Gore were amalgamated, forming the new City of Brampton .
At that time, the Chinguacousy Fire Fighters Association, which was chartered as Local 1679 by the International Association of Fire Fighters on January 11, 1967, was absorbed into the Brampton Association, thereby doubling its membership.
A great deal of credit must be given to those original members of both Associations for the manner in which they blended together. During the first few years, they combined their contracts, their constitutions and their committees.
In the year 1976, the Brampton Professional Fire Fighters passed a milestone in their history when they produced their first Muscular Dystrophy Telethon ever held in Canada . This event was organized and directed by Brothers John Mark and John Prankard and raised $22,000.00 for M.D.A.
In 1977, the Local repeated the Telethon raising $30,000.00 for M.D.A. The year 1977 also saw the design of a new Association flag and with it a new spirit of fraternity.
In 1990, the Local produced their fourteenth M.D.A. Telethon with total monies raised throughout the years surpassing half a million dollars.
Another milestone was passed also in 1990 with the first Fire Fighters Magic Show being produced with over $20,000 being raised for Peel Memorial Hospital equipment needs. This was a direct result of support for the Brampton Fire Fighters by the citizens and the business community of Brampton , and their efforts to improve their community.
Today, the Brampton Professional Fire Fighters Association is the sixth largest local of the International Association of Fire Fighters, in Ontario