Discover the castles of the province of Huelva and the Algarve with the help of this app.
You have two itineraries to discover:
- North Route, castles of: Santa Olalla del Cala, Cala, Sancho IV (Cumbres Mayores), Cumbres de San Bartolomé, Torres (Cumbres de San Bartolomé), Encinasola, Noudar, Mourao, Beja, Serpa, Moura, Aroche, Cortegana, Almonaster la Real, Aracena and Torre de las Harinas (Zufre).
- Southern route, castles of: Niebla, Moguer, Palos de la Frontera, la Nicoba (San Juan del Puerto), Gibraleón, Torre atalaya (San Bartolomé de la Torre), Cabezo de Pie Castillo (El Almendro), San Marcos (Sanlúcar de Guadiana), Alcoutim, Loulé, Paderne, Silves, Aljezur, Tavira, Castro Marím, Cartaya.
You will find quality information, written by the cultural institutions of both countries, about the itineraries and about each castle. Languages: Spanish, Portuguese and English.
The application offers you:
- Two cross-border itineraries, with quality content on the castles. The information is descriptive, historical and tourist (timetables...).
- Photo gallery and map.
- Geolocation of the castles. How to get to each castle and distance to it.
- Sharing information on your social networks.
- Possibility of downloading the content on your mobile, for offline use.
The aim of the FORTours project is to provide information on and highlight the defensive structures that exist along the border. It was approved at the first meeting of the Programa de Cooperación Transfronteriza España-Portugal [Cross-Border Programme of Cooperation between Spain and Portugal] (POCTEP 2014-2020) in relation to the Programa Interreg V-A, whose activities are co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
It is an international project involving the cross-border area of cooperation encompassing Alentejo-Algarve-Andalusia, and is a partnership that includes six entities: Consejería de Cultura de la Junta de Andalucía [Department of Culture of the Regional Government of Andalusia] (lead partner), Diputación Provincial de Huelva [Provincial Council of Huelva], Dirección Regional de Cultura de Algarve [Algarve Regional Cultural Bureau], as well as the Cámaras Municipales [Regional Chambers] of Castro Marim, Alcoutim and Serpa.