This app allows you to try out our unique typing system in a basic SMS responder which lets you view and reply to incoming messages.
NB: THIS IS A VERY EARLY BETA RELEASE. We think you'll love it, but we apologise in advance for any problems you find. Your bug reports and feature requests will be welcome.
Android Wear doesn't yet allow us to work across the whole watch, but we think Tusi will be great for other things like destinations in maps, search terms and URLs into browsers, even shorter emails, as well as passwords where a tiny QWERTY keyboard would be useless. Would you like to have Tusi for all text input on your watch? Please let us know!
As tweeted by Olympic gold medallist Amy Williams MBE, Gadget Show presenter! Second place at the TechCrunch pitch-off, Mobile World Congress Feb 2016.
=== INSTRUCTIONS ===
After installing, open the Tusi app on your paired phone to enable it to receive SMS messages. You will then receive notifications on your watch whenever a message arrives. Swipe right to dismiss, or left to reply.
How to type:
* Touch the outer ring. Space is the staple-shaped symbol between Z and A. To let go/cancel without inserting anything, move into the centre.
* The top half of the screen shows the reply so far. To reposition the cursor, double-tap inside.
* The bottom half of the screen shows suggested words. Scroll for more. Tap the top one to insert.
* In the center of the screen is a dot akin to a gaming joypad. Single-tap deletes a character, double-tap inserts a full stop. Swipe up/down to switch between lowercase, uppercase, and numbers/punctuation. Left to delete a word.
Swipe right to finish and send your message.
=== PREDICTION ===
Tusi can take 'txt msg spk'-type abbreviations and intelligently expand them for you into full words. No need to learn or program any shortcuts.
For example, type: "wlc 2 t b wrtg xpc 4 sml scrns"
and Tusi produces: "Welcome to the best writing experience for small screens"
The app learns your word patterns and new words – just type them in once.
Prediction is based on Flexpansion (Flexible Text Expansion), available free on Google Play for your phone or tablet. Includes technology developed from our co-founder's PhD in Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language Processing at Edinburgh University.
=== SETTINGS ===
Use the "Tusi settings" app on your watch to adjust the user interface. The main choice is between petal mode and fan mode.
Petal mode: We project into the centre so you can see what letter your finger is covering.
Fan mode: We assume you have touched roughly the area for your intended letter, and display 5. If your fingertip continues round, we do not offer the next letters, because we will be building "undo" and "redo" for rotations past the two end letters. Or would you prefer letters to keep filling as you turn? Please let us know.
You can also adjust things like the colours, spread of the fan, whether the centre and fingertip are joined in "petal mode" etc.
=== BUGS AND PLANNED FEATURES ===
* Occasional crashes.
* If a new text arrives while you are composing your reply, unpredictable things may happen.
* Scrolling up suggestions is a bit jumpy - we're working on this.
* There is a "blind spot" in the top left or right (depending on which hand you use) where you cover it up. We'll offer the option to use only 3/4 of the screen.
* Make petal mode zoomable (i.e. big middle letter, large movement only changes letters slowly).
* Autocorrection, smileys, emojis
* More languages.
* Adjustable word scroll speed
* Optionally show what's been typed, and suggestions, as you add letters.
* Optionally learn new words as typed, or remove.
* Rapid-tap: recognise brief taps and increase autocorrect, reduce abbreviation expansions suggested.
* Lots more zooming on different areas!
Features, prediction, layout etc. are likely to change. New bugs may appear or fixes un-fix themselves. Sorry :-)