This tool gives you the ability to change your screen resolution, density (DPI) and overscan.
Why do I need to change my resolution?
# HDMI / TV-OUT / MIRACAST:
You want to adjust your screen resolution to fit your TV or External Monitor which is connected to your HDMI output to get rid off the black bars? With Resolution Changer, you can set your resolution to fit perfectly to the external monitor.
Additionally, with the HDMI Auto Resolution feature enabled, your device will detect your external HDMI Monitor and sets the screen resolution and density automatically to a chosen preset.
With overscan set, you can adjust your screen output padding to match excatly the External Monitor.
You are developing apps and you want to test your app on different devices? Just use a device preset or create your own one to simulate the screen resolution and density of every possible device.
Your device is too slow for the latest games? Just change the resolution to a lower one and enjoy your games with a higher framerate.
If the device has problems with a choosen resolution, the default one will be restored after some seconds. Some apps like the launcher or the keyboard might not always scale correctly with every resolution.
The application is still restricted to the technical conditions of the device. That means, you wont be able to choose a resolution your device is not capable of displaying.
NOTE: Sometimes SuperSU/Superuser forgets the app has root (even though it should remember). Just remove it from Recents menu and start it up again.
Resolution Changer is an app that lets you change the resolution of your device.
With the latest update you can now also change resolution whenever a second display is connected through HDMI! Experimental for now, but has been tested and working on some devices.
Ever connect your device to your TV or monitor and get black bars? Not able to get full resolution output to your TV? Well IN COMES Resolution Changer! With this app you can set your own resolution to fit your second display or monitor. It has both 16:10 AND 16:9 aspects!
This works independent of device! Tablet or phone; it doesn't matter.
Do you have an old device that won't play your newest games without significant lag? Again Resolution Changer can help you! Set your resolution lower to be able to play the LATEST and GREATEST games! With Resolution Changer, playing the latest FPS, racer, whathaveyou, will be no problem.
####### THIS APP REQUIRES ROOT AND 4.0+ #######
####### TouchWIZ launcher will behave oddly -- install an alternate launcher BEFORE trying this #######
####### Android versions LOWER than 4.2 may not fill the whole screen. #######
####### HTC devices without physical buttons may lose the use of its buttons (use on-screen nav keys instead) but will return when you reset the resolution back to normal. HTC One cannot install this app #######
HTC One has been excluded due to the digitizer being bigger. Touch-buttons get turned off even when reverting back to default resolution. Also reported on HTC Sensation, but the Sensation is left included because it returns to normal upon changing back to default
This is a useful application for developers and the curious alike. This app does nothing more at this point.
[keywords] "screen" "density" "resolution" "screen resolution" "screen density" "specs" "specifications"
Requires root on Android 4.3 and higher.
Virtual button requires root on all platforms.
- Gamers: Some games feel choppy? Decrease the resolution while you play to improve performance significantly.
- Developers: You can test your application UI for different devices by changing resolution and density to match your target devices. The application provides many templates for flagship devices to select from.
Two Android shell commands control screen resolution and density (dots per inch):
For Android 4.3 and higher, these two commands were moved from am to wm. Now they are:
This application nicely wraps these two commands so you can try different settings quickly and easily. It doesn't implement these functions, it merely uses them. So, if they don't behave well on your device then there is nothing we can do about it, please don't rate us down. We are just trying to make things easier.
- This application is not intended to change your device resolution and density once and for all. Use it only when needed then restore the default settings.
- When applying new settings, if things get messed up, don't do anything and the normal settings will be restored in a few seconds.
Some launchers don't feel the changes immediately and may show broken icons and other visual artifacts. Restarting the launcher manually should fix this. Some home screen icons may cover other icons due to lack of space. Try moving them around to reveal the covered ones. Some hardware vendors design their software to work with the devices' native resolutions and densities only. If you experience problems, consider installing different launchers and keyboards to fix the issues.
- If your device doesn't have hardware buttons and depends on on-screen controls, the controls may have problems on certain resolutions. They may appear in both portrait and landscape orientations or only one of them. Try increasing the size of the smaller dimension a bit and they should appear in both orientations. Otherwise, you can just enable the virtual buttons and ignore the entire problem.
- Choosing resolutions with the same aspect ratio of you device's original screen resolution maximizes the usable screen area.
- If you are using a mobile phone, the width should always be the smaller value of the resolution (width, height) pair. If you are using a tablet, the width should always be the larger value of the resolution (width, height) pair. This allows the resolutions you select to cover the largest screen area possible. You can still do the opposite, but then less screen area will be used to display your applications.
- The display resolution isn't the only factor affecting games' performance. Reducing resolution will significantly increase the frame rate up to certain limits, after which further reduction will not produce notable differences. For example, here are the results of nenamark 2 benchmark of a certain test device:
34.1 fps at 1280x800
41.2 fps at 1024x640
47.0 fps at 800x500
49.0 fps at 480x300 => the pixels count decreased dramatically from 800x500 (64% less pixels), but achieved very little performance gain for the huge quality loss. Experience with different resolutions until you find the best trade-off between quality and performance.
- All templates are based on information from gsmarena.com. Tell us if you to add a certain device to the list.
Some device (etc LG G3) comming with extream 4k resolution that more drain the battery.
- This app can make the Resolution and DPI change to save battery.
- This app include power off and re-boot soft button to save your real power button.
- This app can show the current Resolution and Density setting.
- This app can calculate the Resolution and Density when you change one setting with default relationship.
---this app require phone rooted.... and require grant acces for super user---
--- The option "apple default before power off" and "Re-apply setting after power on" is require for G3 lolipop with have Logo boot loop when change resolution.----
this option will track the power off and on for re-set and set back the resolution.
Or you can manaul set to avoid the boot loop in LG G3 lollipop rom, please hit the "Default setting" to reset the resolution every time before reboot phone by this app, will never get boot loop any more.
and when phone restart back i go to this app to set resolution again to safe battery.
* Density of this application after changing some equipment may not be able to see properly. *
You can change the DPI of the application helps you more quickly and easily.
Enter a value in the input box to the desired DPI, then the Apply button or the Apply button to apply and reboot is complete!
In addition, when you click More button, the unit reverted to type after the change DPI mount features discomfort when you can return it back.
Change the resolution DPI resolution PPI Density LCD build
- Reacts to orientation changes;
- Displays the size of the screen width and height;
- Displays the most common screen resolution and aspect ratio;
- Displays information about the current screen resolution thereof, and his position.
The init script it relies upon doesn't exist on Android 5.x, so either I have to fix it, or you can submit a pull request on GitHub. Don't expect it to work on 5.x.
IF YOU NEED SUPPORT:
I try to respond to ratings, but it's a very slow and inconsistent process. I check the email as frequently as I can, and I can push a fix for you right away. Lose your /system/build.prop? There's a backup in /data/data/com.oumugai.densityadjuster/, just copy it back from there.
Type in a new density, reboot to test it, and if you like the results, go back to the app and store it permanently. If you don't like the density, or something crashes, just reboot the device to restore your original settings.
I wanted a way to test different densities, but be able to reboot if the results were bad or broke my launcher and just have my old density back. This app does this, by simply restoring original build props during the boot sequence. It's not the most elegant solution, in fact, it's kind of gross, but it does mean you can change your screen's DPI while out on the town without ending up in a broken state (or having to bust out your laptop, USB cable, ADB and emacs you sad, sad person).
I don't like having to do extra work. You shouldn't have to either. Don't get stuck with a device with an unusable display.
You can write a review, and wait 24 hours or so for it to get to me, and then I can push a fix which will take hours to propagate. Or you can email me at email@example.com, and cut hours (or days) out of the equation. Either way, please report any issues you encounter. I typically can push a fix immediately.
Want new versions before they arrive here? Of course you do. Join the open beta on G+:
Want the source? No you don't. It's on GitHub, regardless of how you feel about it.
Things to do:
- Could (still) be prettier
- Notification if your current DPI doesn't match persisted
- Better su twiddling
- Disclaimers? Speaking of which...
THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE. IT RELIES ON SYSTEM SCRIPTS THAT YOUR PHONE MANUFACTURER OR CARRIER MAY HAVE ALTERED OR REMOVED. NO GUARANTEES.
We provide 5 major functions for you:
1. Display Info Details
- Information of current device's Screen Resolution, Screen Density, screen info which contains scale, height, width, diagonal ... in 3 different unit (pixels, dp and inches) etc.
2. Device & Config Info Details
- Specification of current device, e.g. screen size, font size, Android platform, API level, model, product name ... etc.
3. Devices Info Database
- Provide most popular devices's screen information and specification.
4. PX DP Converter
- Convert between PX and DP unit and is calculating for all available display metrics: XXXHDPI, XXHDPI, XHDPI, HDPI, TVDPI, MDPI and LDPI.
5. PPI / DPI Calculator
- Calculate screen density and DPI (dots per inch) / PPI (pixel per inch) by using Screen Resolution and Diagonal.
This is a very useful development tools for developers !!! Screen rotation and Tablet are supported as well.
tag : screen resolution, screen specs
The "Root DPI Changer" lets you change DPI of your device. This allows you to gain extra space to work (in case of reducing DPI) or increase the size of the elements (in case of increasing DPI).
- Changing the DPI by modifying the build.prop file,
- Creating build.prop backup files,
- Checking current DPI on system boot,
- Automatic DPI restoring (Experimental)
Device: Screen larger than 3.5"
OS: 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5.0
ROOT: ROOT Access
Keyboard: Google Keyboard recommended (free on Google Play), others might not adjust dynamically to changes in resolution
Samsung devices with multi window such as the new note 10.1 2014, and note 3: Samsung is using a custom made window manager that at the moment is not compatible with changes to the device resolution.
What does this app do?
It allows to change the resolution and the pixels density of your device
Why is this useful?
Watching Video using the hdmi output will usually mirror the screen content without correcting for aspect ratio, by setting the correct resolution and pixel density of the screen to match the tv allows to fill the entire external screen and avoid side black bars.
Playing games on an external tv: normally, the device will render the games to the full resolution available on the device's screen. On the case of the Nexus 10, games will be rendered to its huge resolution of 2560x1600 and then it will be scaled down to the tv screen resolution wasting GPU processing power and resulting on more heat and power consumption during gaming. By reducing the screen resolution to match the external monitor/tv less processing power is needed to render the game at the lower tv's resolution, many games will even use the extra processing power available for more effects or more frames per second.
For developers to simulate other screen resolutions and pixel density for android developers to test their applications on the physical device and observe how their application will look on other devices.
Manual Settings: Allows to manually select the desired resolution and pixel density according to pre-defined standard aspect ratios.
Auto Detection: Will run in the background and will detect HDMI connections and disconnections. On a HDMI connection detected, a notification will be presented to apply the detected screen resolution and pixel density appropriate for your screen. On a HDMI disconnection, the notification will allow to return to the device's default settings.
Reboot Mode: New Soft Reboot will only reboot the graphical interface not the entire system (Fast). Normal Full Reboot (safest, use if you find interface issues with the Soft Reboot).
Screen Size: Define your screen size (affects dpi calculation).This setting comes pre-defined for the nexus 10, but for other devices you should change it to match your screen size.
HDMI Resolution Preset: Define your preferred output resolution instead of using the Auto-Detection option.
Default Settings: reset to the factory configuration.
Auto DPI Selection it will select the appropriate dpi value for the selected resolution and the screen size defined on the settings.
Screen OFF feature: (experimental, tested to be working on nexus 10): allows you turn your device's screen off while keeping the output to the hdmi to reduce the power usage. To turn the screen back ON just press the power button twice or simply disconnect the hdmi.
New Recovery Feature: Recovers the default screen setting in case the device did not support the resolution applied. To trigger the recovery feature, plug and unplug the power/charger to the device allowing ~1s between plug/unplug as many times as defined on the settings menu, default is 3 times.
Why a reboot is needed to apply the new screen settings?
For now the safest way to restore the entire Interface with the new resolution and pixel density is to reboot the system. The new Soft Reboot should reduce considerably the time required to reset the interface.
This app supports 240-650 DPI to set from.
- Needs rooted device.
How to use.
Open application and select your DPI from DPI picker.
Selct 'SET DPI'
Sometimes setting certain DPI may makes many applications non usable. And when your launcher / keyboard ecomes unusable then it will be difficult to reset. So when you testing DPI it's recommended to select "Auto Reser' option ON. This will reset DPI to normal on reboot in case device becomes unusable to perform action.
Also to note that this application won't make any application multi DPI, this will depends on your ROM.
There is option for reset DPI anytime from menu.
Popup the text message (SMS) or the call you just missed. Flip though all your missed items using a finger swipe, Quick Reply to each message, hit back, and then finally dismiss!
You can see your contacts photo, their name, and the entire message. This text messaging and missed call notifier will allow you keep up with all your friends and never miss a message again!