The MAK app offers a unique, dynamic, and sometimes surprising way to get to know the MAK Permanent Collections “Vienna 1900,” “Asia,” and “Carpets.” Both at the museum and at home, you can choose from numerous exciting sources of information on these multifaceted collections.
The following are some of the MAK app’s main features:
* Discover Browse through unfamiliar territory in the MAK Permanent Collections, and you’re sure to come across interesting surprises. Dig deeper into a topic, or move from one object to the next.
* Tours Several tours in various lengths offer detailed information on select objects from the collection, which are discussed in personal commentaries by the curators of the MAK.
* The MAK Permanent Collections “Vienna 1900,” “Asia,” and “Carpets” Curators and restorers from the MAK comment on objects in audio and video clips, provide cultural-historical context, and talk about their work at the museum. Original photos show the locations where the works were once exhibited.
* Pinboard Take photos of objects that catch your eye and post them on the bulletin board to inspire other visitors. You can also share photos with your friends and family!
* “Vienna 1900” meets comic See some of the collection’s most-photographed objects in comics. These comics come from various illustrators, are created regularly for the app, and are exclusively available here!
* This week at the MAK A calendar offers you a weekly overview of current exhibitions, educational offerings, and events at the museum.
* General information The MAK app contains practical information for your visit, including opening hours, admission prices, and important information about our educational offerings.
Located in the historical city center of Vienna, the MAK – Austrian Museum of Applied Arts / Contemporary Art is one of the most important museums of its kind around the world. The museum, which was founded in 1863, boasts a collection of over 600,000 objects in addition to the library and archive that continues to offer an extraordinary combination of applied arts, design, architecture, and contemporary art.
How the app works:
You can download the app before your visit and explore the fascinating world of the applied arts at home. When you bring your tablet with the app installed on it to the MAK, you’ll receive a discount on admission to the museum. You can also download the app over Wi-Fi at the museum. We recommend bringing your own headphones, but headphones are available for free rental at the museum. You also have the option of borrowing a tablet from the museum during your visit for a fee of € 2.
An Internet connection is required in order to use the full contents of the app.
New permanent exhibitions
More videos with commentaries from curators and conservators