Ullr Labs’ Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools (MAST) combines Android technology with established snow science to improve winter backcountry travel decisions, make it easy to share observations and adventures, and provide ongoing resources to increase avalanche knowledge and awareness.
We bring the features of gps, camera, compass, clinometer and snowpit book together in one easy-to-use tool*. With MAST you can:
•Download and read the most recent avalanche forecasts for your area.
•Review conditions recently reported by other users.
•Easily collect information about snow, weather and terrain conditions and avalanche sightings on your trips, using well-established snow science definitions and guidelines.
•Record location, elevation, slope angle and a photo of the area in one easy step.
•Receive warnings when recorded conditions and test results are at levels that avalanche science considers high-risk.
•Share your observations with the regional avalanche center (US only) and backcountry community in your area.
•Link to various educational resources to increase your knowledge of snow and avalanche science.
*GPS and Camera support only in devices equipped with those features.
The two core features of this application are:
1. A screen that helps to calculate the avalanche risk, based on the avalanche report, using the Reduction Method developed by Swiss avalanche expert Werner Munter.
2. A screen that provides a safety checklist based on the 3x3 Filter Method developed by Werner Munter.
This application can be used anywhere in the world as it has no regional specific information, but is best in northern latitudes between 35° and 55°. This covers most popular ski areas. Extra caution must be used in far northern areas such as Alaska and Scandinavia as weaker solar radiation makes the snow pack less stable. It must also be adapted for the southern hemisphere.
This app is designed to be used in conjunction with other sources for weather and avalanche forecasts. These can be accessed through the internet, MMS services, television, newspapers, official bulletins and other region specific phone apps.
Have a good winter, go big and stay safe.
If you would like to volunteer to translate the app into your language, please contact me.
keywords: avalanche Lawine valange ski sciare snowboard freeride danger Gefahr pericolo safety Sicherheit sécurité sicurezza touring Skitouren randonnée fondo reduction method Reduktonsmethode 3x3 filter Formel 3x3
Included in this app:
- Live game updates with box scores, game stats and the all-new ice tracker
- Custom Alerts and user controlled preferences
- The latest Avalanche news
- Photo galleries from Avalanche games and events around town
- Video from AvalancheTV
- Avalanche player bios, photos and updated stats
- Conference/Division standings and out-of-town scores
- Interactive game schedule, allowing you to buy Avalanche tickets directly from your smartphone
- Fantasy Five game where you can compete against other Avalanche fans
- Ability to incorporate your Twitter and Facebook accounts, allowing you to share content
New features are added periodically so make sure to keep your Official Avalanche Mobile App updated through the Google Play!
***Note: This is the official update for the previous version of the SLF's White Risk mobile app. Unfortunately, an automatic update for the old version is not available.
In order to continue viewing the avalanche bulletin and other products, you must perform this update.***
More from developer
BASEline displays information from phone sensors such as altitude, speed, glide ratio, tilt, distance and bearing to target. Learn your glide ratio, fallrate, etc. Record tracks of your flights. Improve your skydiving performance. Includes:
- Translates sensor readings into audible feedback
- Alerts that fire when given conditions are met (eg- 3000ft and still in freefall, pull your chute!)
- Sound loops linked to your speed, glide ratio, fallrate, etc. (eg- a drum beat linked to your glide ratio)
- Set a "home" location, and then uses audible events to indicate distance and bearing to the home location.
- Also serves as a skydiving log book, recording from altimeter and GPS whenever the app is running.
It is strongly recommended that your device have a built-in barometric altimeter sensor (only available on some devices). GPS ALTITUDE IS NOT RELIABLE. Even with a barometric altimeter, phone sensors may not be reliable. Please exercise extreme caution if using this app in any risky or dangerous activities.
Software is provided "as is," with no warranty of any kind. Skydiving is dangerous, don't be stupid.