Sight Words 1 Pro is a must-have app for anybody teaching students to read and spell! The app makes it easy to teach students who are learning to read and spell to automatically recognise and understand the 200 most common words in English.
Sight Words 1 Pro uses a unique, patent pending, self-adjusting and multisensory teaching method to improve word recognition and vocabulary knowledge. It was developed by Dr. Bartek Rajkowski, PhD, a speech-language pathologist specialising in reading development.
- Although students love using it, Sight Words 1 Pro is not just a game - it is a powerful and fully customisable teaching tool. Please take some time to experiment with it yourself before trying it with students!
The past several decades of research have provided conclusive evidence that competent readers are skilled in using letter-sound knowledge to work out (decode) unfamiliar words when reading. Teaching methods that begin by teaching students letter-sound relationships (synthetic phonics methods) are known to be superior to other approaches in teaching reading, regardless of whether students do or do not have reading difficulties. Decoding skills are crucial for self-teaching, as they may be used to work out regular words (words with regular sound-spelling patterns, such as ‘stop’ and ‘flight’) however they are not as useful for learning the approximately 20% of English words with irregular spellings (words such as ‘who’ and ‘said’).
Research suggests that in addition to being taught to decode, students should be explicitly taught to recognise the most common words (also called 'sight words' or 'high frequency words'), especially those with irregular spellings. Learning to instantly recognise highly frequent words helps students to develop fluency in reading.
Whether you are a teacher, parent or reading specialist, we are confident that Sight Words 1 Pro will quickly become a favourite teaching tool. For more information about the program, please see www.readingdoctor.com.au.
Some of the things you can do with SightWords 1 Pro:
- Teach sight words through arcade-style games in which you choose words for the student to practice based on categories such as
- Word length (such as all word lengths, 1-2 letter words, 3 letter words, 4 letter words)
- Word frequency (such as 1st 25 most common words, 2nd 25 most common words etc)
- Easily create custom sight-words activities where you can quickly set up activities by choosing from a library of the 200 most common words in English
- Save custom activities for later use
- Choose the number of words to be included in a single game (2-25)
- Adjust the number of times students need to correctly identify a word in order for the game tile to be completed
- Adjust the level of support given to the student for words (the app includes auditory word prompts, auditory sentences, illustrations of the meanings of words and visual cues based on word length and shape)
Please note: teaching students sight words before they have learnt basic decoding skills is NOT recommended, and not supported by research! Teaching sight words should be a complementary strategy to assist the development of fluency as part of a systematic, phonics based method of reading instruction.
If you have any questions or need help, please don't hesitate to contact us!