The Extra!!! Edition of the American Civil War Gazette contains back issues as well as additional articles that did not appear in the daily edition.
Highlights of the August 1863 Edition:
- The CSS Hunley (submarine; a.k.a. Fish Boat) sinks for the first time
- Lawrence Massacre/Quantrill's Raid
- Charleston, South Carolina - Siege of Charleston Harbor continues
- Rosecrans' Chickamauga Campaign begins - Second Battle of Chattanooga
- Little Rock Campaign begins - Battle of Bayou Meto/Reed's Bridge
- Second Bayou Teche Campaign. Taylor's Operations in West Louisiana continue
- Texas to rejoin Mexico under France - Perhaps Western Louisiana as well - Great Britian reports that French power, consolidated in Mexico, is now eyeing Texas - Would provide France with cotton and tobacco - Peace in Europe means French aggression against Texas
- Shimonoseki Campaign (Japan) - Treaty Powers; United States, Great Britain, France, Netherlands - Bombardment of Kagoshima
- Gen. J.C. Pemberton (CSA) is "killed"
- The first issue of the "Army and Navy Journal" is published. It is still printed today by Gannett as the "Armed Forces Journal".