Based upon the success of our prototype we launched in 2011 to support the Atlanta BeltLine Running Series our goal was to create a platform that would socially connect individuals with events occurring in their community where they could also track their accomplishments, share with friends and get rewarded for being active.
The rewards came in the form of merchandise from partners such as WholeFoods and REI where they donated prizes that participants could redeem based upon certain point levels. We added the element of gamification to create a fun, social challenge so every time a participant logged a healthy activity they would earn points and every time they completed health events they would earn more points eventually these points became redeemable for merchandise.
The addition of gamification has allowed us to create some unique challenges such as Neighborhood Challenges all the way to Cities Challenging each other to see who is the most active. As individuals your activities earn points which roll up to the communities and teams you belong to – it’s a fun way to keep engaged.
From this success we built out the platform to be multi-community supportive meaning a city could cost effectively setup an online community, add their programs and create a fun individual or team challenge to socially connect with the residents in their community and reward their accomplishments.
So you might be wondering, why did we build this platform? Aside from personal stories of health related illnesses we’ve seen a tremendous amount of focus on the built environment with new parks and trails and of course public health, but technology is the key that brings everything together and makes it fun and sustainable. Our hope is to continue to build out this platform and engage more cities while connecting with participants and rewarding healthy behaviors after-all where one lives has a profound impact on one’s health.
Features for individuals include:
1. Ability to setup individual profiles and connect with friends
2. Personal activity feed
3. Ability to log daily activities such as ran 5 miles or played 1 hour of volleyball
4. Ability to register for events
5. Ability to earn points based upon accomplishments
6. Ability to join communities and teams within communities
7. Ability to setup a personal calendar of events and invite friends
8. Ability to track accomplishments and view leaderboards
Feature for Communities include:
1. Ability to add brand and descriptions
2. Ability to setup a calendar of programs and set point value
3. Ability to create team and/or individual challenges
4. Ability to track number of participants, types of programs and activities performed
5. Ability to leverage for fundraising support
6. Ability to socially connect with residents and businesses within ones community
We have many more features planned for individuals and communities as we hope you join and share in our support and love for community health and engagement.
If you have any questions about the platform or suggestions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org