How do you teach improvisation? Our trainer, Gregg Fine, breaks down the process into an easily learned series of steps based upon understanding music theory, harmony and form. He takes you on a sonic journey explaining the the different jazz formats from standards to bitonality. All along the way he provides a series of practice lessons to make sure that you can easily and quickly follow along.
Throughout this course you learn melodic and chordal techniques you can deploy in your own music. No matter what style of music you play, these concepts will help you take your music to all kinds of unexpected places.
You learn how to build solos based upon structured melodic techniques. You see how to make chordal substitutions to add interest and variety to your progressions. Gregg also explains how to improvise inventive melodies using all kinds of scales and modes to help shape your musical ideas.
Jazz is built upon improvisation. It’s a musical breeding ground where innovative ideas are born. But you don’t have to be a “jazz head” to benefit from concepts explained this course. If you’re a songwriter or even a dance music composer, the techniques that Gregg Fine demystifies will inspire you expand your musical horizons and generate all kinds of new, innovative ideas.
Table of Contents:
1. Intro and Course Overview
2. Playing "Standards"
3. "Standards": Exploring the Song - Part 1
4. "Standards": Exploring the Song - Part 2
5. Common Tones
6. Melody Jazz
7. Chromatic Passing Notes
8. Chromatic Approach Notes
9. Variation and Repetition
10. Call and Response
11. Practice Time: "Standards"
12. Playing Ballads
13. Building a Solo
14. Practice Time: Ballads
15. Playing Bebop
16. Improvising with the Bebop Scale
18. Using Altered Notes in a Solo
19. Tritone Substitutions
22. Trading Fours
23. Practice Time: Bebop
24. Modal Jazz
25. Modal Jazz: Exploring the Song
26. Using Space
27. Using Motifs
28. Working with Different Scales
29. Improvising with Pentatonics
30. Intervallic Playing
31. Playing "Inside" and "Outside"
32. Chordal Superimposition
33. Practice Time: Modal Jazz
35. Bitonal Chords
36. Improvising over Bitonal Chords
37. Practice Time: Bitonality
Super deal for people who want to work out solo, or just play some improvisation on any instrument. 2-5-1 is a typical term used in jazz harmony, but not only. For example, in the key of C (major) Standard term is DM7-G7-Cmaj7.
- 4 bars in SLOW (95 bpm) in major and minor scal
- 8 bars in FAST (165 BPM) olso in major and minor scal
comments and rating welcomed
In the screen of this app, the Circle is made up of several concentric rings, which provides various information. By rotating the 2 rings, inner and outer, the needed information can be got easily.
The outer most ring shows information on the scale such as a tonic, a dominant, a sub-dominant, a relative minor, a relative major, and a progression of the degree. The next outer ring shows a series of note's name ordered by the progression of 5th, and the root note of a scale can be set by rotationg this ring. When rotating the outer ring, the inner ring rotates also. The next ring shows a degree of a note and a diatonic chord in that scale. By rotaing the next ring, a chord can be set. If a note name of the outer ring is touched, then a diatonic chord, of which the root note is the note, is set. Instead of the inner chord ring, a key progression ring can be displayed which is very useful when transposing a song to another key. At the center of the concentric rings, a signiture of the scale is displayed.
Both a handset or a tablet are supported. However, it is recommended you to use this app on a tablet larger than a 7-inch for a better usabilty.
The direction of the circle
The direction of the key progression on a circle can be set to a CW or a CCW direction by a user.
Switchable Inner Wheel
The inner wheel can be switched when it is needed. A chord wheel, a transpose wheel, and a interval wheel are avalable.
A major scale and 3 minor scale and church modes are available. The scale tones can be distinguished by its background color. A diatonic chord of the scale can be set by touching one of its scale tones.
Diatonic Scale Chord
Both triads and 7th chords are supported for each scale.
Chord wheel is uniquely designed to represent the relationship between a scale and a chord. Most diatonic chords are available. The chord tones can be distinguished by its background color or its mark.
For transposing, a ring of key progression can be displayed instead of a chord ring.
Intervals of notes can be found out easily and quickly. Just switch the inner wheel to an interval wheel.
Inversion of a Chord
The inversion of a chord can be played by clicking a button, and also can be seen through the piano view.
There are various ways of naming note names. In this app, CDEFGAB, CDEFGAH, and Fixed-Do systems are supported. Also, you can set a prefered accidental, a sharp(＃) or a flat(♭).
Information about a scale or a chord is shown on a 2-octave sized mini piano. It can be played by touching the keys.
Information about a scale or a chord also can be shown on a guitar fretboard. It's tunable.
Colors / Marks
The tones of a scale and a chord are associated with the 7 colors of the rainbow. For example, the 1st note is red, and the 7th note is violet.
Also, marks such as ●, △, ★, ◎ represent that it's 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th note.
Clef / Signature
A signature of the scale is showed at the center of rings. A clef can be set to a treble of a bass.
When the center is touched, user-defined action is performed.
The sound of a scale and a chord can be played. A chord sound can be played arpeggio pattern or not.
Piano, E.Piano, and Guitar sounds are included. The bundled sounds are recorded in high quality.
Natural / Harmonic / Melodic Minor
Major 7th aug 5th
Major aug 5th (Triad)
Suspended 2nd (Triad)
Suspended 4th (Triad)
Minor Major 7th
Dominant 7th aug 5th
Dominant 7th flat 5th
Dominant 7th sus 4th
Minor 7th flat 5th
Play the exercise: get a score, see the notes you played and listen to your performance
Jazz ScaleHelper is the fast way to improve your playing. With actual feedback based on what you played, Jazz ScaleHelper enables you to concentrate on the aspects of your playing that will help the most.
Jazz ScaleHelper has 3 modes:
1. Play any scale: Jazz ScaleHelper determines the exercise you have played and scores your performance. Ideal for impromptu practise sessions. (Not available in Jazz ScaleHelper Lite)
2. Choose a scale: Choose the exercise you want to play and Jazz ScaleHelper listens and gives you a score. Ideal to improve a specific musical exercise.
3. Challenge me: Jazz ScaleHelper will ask you to play exercises from your challenge list that is based on your chosen syllabus. Jazz ScaleHelper will identify what you need to practise and make sure you get exam ready while having fun on the way. Ideal for practising a range of exercises.
Jazz ScaleHelper contains everything you need for the instruments covered by the Jazz syllabuses from Trinity Guildhall and ABRSM examining boards. Jazz ScaleHelper will be there for you every step of the way as you grow as a musician.
Jazz ScaleHelper allows you to create your own syllabus from the exercises it supports: major scales; dorian modes; lydian modes; mixolydian modes; melodic minor scales; jazz melodic minor scales; harmonic minor scales; pentatonic major scales; pentatonic minor scales; blues scales; diminished scales; chromatic scales; whole-tone scales; phrygian modes; locrian modes; aeolian modes; major arpeggios; minor arpeggios; augmented arpeggios; major sevenths; minor sevenths; diminished sevenths; major/minor sevenths; and minor/major sevenths. All exercises are available starting from every tonic over 1 octave, 1 twelfth, 2 octaves, 2.5 octaves and 3 octaves. (Jazz ScaleHelper Lite only supports major scales, blues scales and major arpeggios over 1 octave)
Instruments supported include Violin, Viola, Cello, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Clarinet, Flute, Oboe, Saxophone, Bassoon, Recorder, Trumpet, Cornet, Trombone and Horn. A full list is available at www.jazz.ScaleHelper.com along with details of the rich feature set Jazz ScaleHelper has to offer.
At less than the price of a single music lesson the guidance that Jazz ScaleHelper provides between your lessons builds on that teaching. You can dispense with the need to review scales by playing them in your lessons and instead reuse the time you gain to learn technique and perfect your pieces.
Jazz ScaleHelper supports multiple users, keeping each user's history for each of their instruments. You can save recordings to study later or to show and play to your teacher and friends. Have fun competing with your friends to see who can get the highest score or who can maintain the highest average.
Easy to use app with instant Track Info and share function.
Turns radio automatically off, when you receive a call!
Wherever you are, the most fun from top Smooth Jazz radio stations is with you!
This is a FREE add support App, but without any annoying push ads!
I recommend a fast internet connection for top app performance. Wifi, 4G, etc.
I have test the app and all stations are working without skipping. If you still find errors, please report them to me. Thank you and enjoy!
When you exit the app while a radio station is still active and playing, you can see a small music note in the notification bar. That is how you can get back to the app and either stop or change the station. App will not be listed in Task Manager.
With myTuner Jazz you will get 50 elegant jazz songs to listen when you want (even if you don't have internet connection).
You will be able to:
- Have access to more than 50 elegant jazz songs to listen when you want
- Select and listen to more than 250 different internet radios that are broadcasting jazz music, searchable by country
- Check the top selling jazz music songs per country each day, so you can listen to a preview and check if you want to buy it
- Add to favorite songs and radios you like for faster access
- Record radio stations
- Listen to music in the background, so you can work
- Use AirPlay for a better sound experience
From Be Bop, Swing, Big Band, Cool, Fusion, Latin, Contemporary Jazz, we've got you covered.
Jazz is an amazing music. So exciting and innovative. We hope you enjoy the many jazz stations available in our app.
Some of the featured jazz musicians are Miles Davis, Sarah Vaughn, Thelonious Monk, Chick Corea, Oscar Peterson, Duke Ellington, Chet Baker, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Anita Baker and Billie Holiday.
We love Jazz and are proud to bring you some of our favorite Jazz radio stations on the Internet.
Note: Remember when loading any Internet radio station, you must wait for the audio stream to load with the **buffering** message for a few seconds before the music will start playing. Thank you for your patience.
If there is a non-working radio station, please send us an email to notify us.
Radio Swiss Jazz is a non-commercial, ad-free and talk-free radio station playing a large variety of the finest jazz, soul and blues 24 hours a day.
CPHJAZZ features news, event calendar, ticket information, venue map and integration of social media. Sign-in to save your personal program and browse concerts in your neighborhood.
Every single summer since 1979 Copenhagen Jazz Festival has been taking over Copenhagen as one of Europe's most important international music events based on eminent artistic quality and a sharp focus on new departures in both Danish and international jazz. Lasting 10 days, the festival envelops the Danish capital, offering a sumptuous musical feast to the 250,000 guests who join us year after year. Enjoying live jazz on the citys streets, in its clubs, cafes and concert halls, and at open-air night venues – all in the very heart of historical Copenhagen.
In addition to the festival in July, the Copenhagen Jazz Festival Foundation organizes the annual and nationwide festival Vinterjazz in February and a number of concerts year round in collaboration with fx Statens Museum for Kunst, Jazzhouse and DR Koncerthuset.
CPHJAZZ is powered by Copenhagen Jazz Festival.
Step into spring with the National Cherry Blossom Festival and enjoy the nation’s greatest springtime celebration. The Festival marks the start of spring and commemorates the gift of 3,000 cherry trees from the city of Tokyo to the city of Washington, DC!
Have the Festival in the palm of your hand with the 2015 National Cherry Blossom Festival app. Great for advance planning and for use in real time, too.
- EVENTS: Browse daily events, performances, exhibitions, and tours. Search by date or by category. See the location, time, description, and other details for each. Select your favorites and make a personal schedule.
- INFO: Where are Festival Headquarters and welcome tents, how to get to the blossoms, FAQs, history, and other tools to get around DC and the Festival.
-CITY IN BLOOM: The region unites with pink lighting and blossoms, blossoms everywhere. See what all the excitement’s about.
-PETAL PASS: Receive special offers and savings from local businesses and retailers.
-DINING: Metro-DC’s restaurants delight with springtime “Cherry Picks” menus. Locations, phone numbers, and websites at your fingertips.
-SHOP: Official swag and so much more.
-NEWS: Up-to-the minute feeds from the Festival website, and Facebook and Twitter pages.
Download and use the app to get information on the competitions, concerts, maps of trails & the park and a complete schedule of activities. There is also a photo gallery and videos of past events for you to see. Use this App to familiarize yourself with all that is going on during the events as well as being your direct connection for any changes that happen before or during each event.
Use this app to easily view and search the full Summit agenda, bookmark your favorite events, and sync them with your mobile calendar. You can also save your notes for each session and share them via email, SMS, Facebook, and Twitter. All the information and tools you need to take full advantage of the Summit in one easy-to-use app!
· Detailed Summit agenda
· Calendar integration
· Push notifications
· Bookmarking for events, speakers, and exhibitors
· Maps of hotel, ballroom, and exhibit hall
· Exhibitor and sponsor directories
· Speaker biographies
· Directions to venue
· Academy agenda and speakers
· Social media sharing and updates
Brand new layout with a side menu for easier use!
Content in mobile can be rotated to access grid schedule for easier reading
Chevron Scene des Jeunes map- a separate map of the youth area at Festival which includes colorful picture icons to quickly locate activity locations
- Full Lineup: See every artist and where they are playing. Add filters by day and/or stage to drill down to what you want to see. Sort by name or, time in any view and bookmark your favorites to your phone’s calendar. Add or remove artists from your schedule with one touch.
- My Schedule: See your customized schedule organized by day and remove artists with a single touch. Start times for Festival events in an easier to read column format. See which artists are coming up within the next two hours!
- News and Social Media: Be the first to know what’s happening for Festival with live updates from Festival International’s official Facebook and Twitter and Instagram. Check out full-length music videos from Youtube™, view photos and status updates, and Festival artists all inside the app. Share your Festival experience with #FIL2014
- Now Playing: View all artists playing within the next two hours.
- Artist Info: Click on any artist in any list and read their bio, watch videos, go to the artist web site or go
online to download their latest album. Update your status or tweet about the artist you are watching.
- Map: See a zoomable/scrollable map of the entire event. Click on a stage to go to the lineup view for that stage.
-Vendors: A full listing of all Cuisine, Arts & Crafts vendors at Festival. Personalize by stage location, search vendors to find out who is closest to your location
-Festival Info-Your one stop shop for FAQ and general info all Festival fans need to know!
-Weather: Get the up to the minute Festival forecast provided by KATC TV3 Doppler 3000.
-FIL Merchandise Shop: Skip the lines and buy official Festival merchandise from your mobile device!
-Take pictures and push them to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram
Custom Schedule: Guide for each Artist and performance schedule. Explore by day to plan everything you want to see. Add or remove artists on your personal Custom Schedule with one touch.
Artist Info: Click on any Artist name in the Lineup page for a full bio and inside info.
Interactive Map & Driving Directions: Locate the Main Stage, Side Stages, Charging Stations, Interactive Exhibitors, food, drinks and more on the venue map & get detailed driving directions to Country Fest for your trip.
Radio: Listen to the Official Country Fest 2015 Station featuring all of this year’s Artists!
News: The latest news, updates, contests & info on Country Fest from the Official Country Fest Facebook & Twitter pages for you to stay connected!
Event Info: Find answers & information on everything Country Fest & get all your burning questions answered.
Interact: Post your Country Fest pictures, Status updates or links directly from the app to your Facebook & Twitter accounts! Country Fest may feature one of your posts or pics on the big screens during the Event, be watching!
Enjoy & thank you for being a part of Country Fest 2015!
-Arena & lecture hall schedules
-Interactive Grounds maps
-Social media updates
… and much, much more!
- Music Lineup: See every artist and where they are playing. Add filters by day and/or stage to drill down to what you want to see. Sort by name or time in any view. Add or remove artists from your schedule with one touch.
- Food Lineup: See every food item available at Jazz Fest and which area they are located in. Touch a button to add food to your schedule at a specific time.
- My Schedule: See your customized food and music schedule organized by day and remove items with a single touch.
- Now Playing: View all artists playing within the next two hours in the music lineup. See what's coming up on your personal schedule as well.
- Artist Info: Click on any artist in any list and read their bio, watch videos, go to the artist web site or go to iTunes to download their latest release.
- Social Media Integration: For any artist, take a picture from inside the app and have the caption automatically filled in with artist and stage info. Push the photo up to Facebook, Twitpic or both at the same time. You can also update your Facebook status or tweet about the bands.
- Map: See a zoomable/scrollable map of the entire event. Click on a stage to go to the lineup view for that stage. During the Festival, see who is playing each stage on the current day.
App features for Luke Bryan's Crash My Playa include:
- Daily Schedule
- Weather updates for the tropical Riviera Maya
- Scavenger Hunt to win a grand Luke Bryan related prize
- Off-Site Adventure signups incl. ATVs & Snorkeling
- FAQ's & all Info needed to fully enjoy your stay in Mexico