The Counting Us app is a monitoring and evaluation tool developed with the primary purpose of supporting communities with the annual Point in Time (PIT) homeless census. Instead of relying on paper forms, volunteers simply download the app, register an account, and complete a short survey each time that interact with a person or family experiencing homelessness.
How does Counting Us work?
- Built in surveys enable count volunteers to collect key information needed for the region to comply with the Federal reporting requirements of conducting an accurate point in time homeless census;
- The app uses the device’s built in GPS to tag the exact location of each survey;
- The Counting Us app has the unique ability to detect if a user has Internet connectivity. If offline, the survey data can be saved on the device and submitted later;
- The app runs on phones and tablets of all sizes and with various operating systems;
- Direct integration with the Point in Time Regional Command Center allows count administrators to provide oversight throughout the census. This helps ensure all areas are properly canvassed and the data is being collected accurately.
This monitoring and evaluation of homelessness is critical for the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to determine the extent of homelessness throughout the country. The count is also an instrumental tool for regions in measuring their progress towards ensuring everyone in the community has a safe and stable place to call home.