Be OnGuard... Weather Alert & Weather Alarm.
OnGuard Weather Alerts monitors the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) active weather alerts for advisories, watches, and warnings for your location (Within the Continental United States. Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico).
When an alert is detected for your current location or any of your static location entries, an appropriate audible, sensory (vibrate), and visual alert will be generated depending on the severity of the NOAA alert type (Advisory, Watch, or Warning).
Weather Alert & Weather Alarm.
- NO Signups, NO Websites, NO text messages, and NO ads! This application runs entirely on your Android device as a background service and pulls alerts directly from the source (NOAA).
- NOAA provides advisories, watches, and warnings for: Severe Storms, Tornadoes, Wildfires, Earthquakes, Winter Weather, Extreme Temperatures, Tropical Storms, Hurricanes, Typhoons, Volcanoes, Tsunami, Wind, 911 Outages, Fog, Flooding, Civil Emergencies, Nuclear Power Plant Warnings, Law Enforcement Warnings, Local Emergencies, Child Abduction Emergencies, Avalanches, and more.
- Dynamic Location Support (uses GPS or Cell Network location determination).
- Dynamic Location feature is on/off configurable.
- Static Location Support (unlimited # of entries).
- Audible, Sensory (vibrate), and Visual alerts (Configurable).
- User customizable alert sounds.
- Insistent Alert Support (off/on configurable) for Warning level events (ie. Audible, Sensory, and Visual alerts will repeat until acknowledged).
- Filtering of Alerts by category. *NEW* (in the 06/03/2011 release).
- Configurable Notification Levels (Warnings Only, Watches & Warnings, Advisories & Watches & Warnings).
- Configurable interval for checking for alerts.
- "Check Now" Button for manual or instant checks.
- Easily stop the service by simple unchecking a box in the preferences.
- Link to context sensitive tips from FEMA detailing information about what to do before, during, and after certain events. (In the main menu - full list of events, In the alert detail menu - contect specific information).
- Link to the "Red Cross Safe & Well Check In" site (This is the site to report that you are OK after a disaster or to locate a loved one that was in a disaster).
- Radar & Weather Radio Mode currently work, we are waiting for tablet integration before release.
- Various other improvements to existing functionality.
Q: Is OnGuard hard on my battery?
A: No. The application minimizes the amount of power required by allowing the user to control whether Dynamic Location is enabled. Even with this feature enabled, the app only requests Dynamic Location updates at the same interval as your alert polling interval.
Q: How much data is used?
A: Not much at all. It varies based upon the number of active weather publications and how frequently you configure the application to check for updates. Each time the app checks for new NOAA publications a 2k (kilobyte) data packet is retrieved via the Internet for each location configured in your preferences. Using the default app settings, approximately 200k (kilobytes) per day or 6M (megabytes) per month of data is used. This is a very small amount given the allowances of most provider's data plans.
Tip: If data usage is a concern, consider disabling the background service and using the Check Now feature instead.
Q. I am getting alerts for an incorrect location.
A. If you are using "Dynamic Location", sometimes the cell network location (used when GPS is unavailable) will return an incorrect location. This is cell tower issue and is outside our control. Please obtain a GPS fix or use a static location entry.
Q. I am having an issue after updating, what should I do?
A. If you are experiencing any issues after an update, please uninstall and re-install the application.
This app runs in the background and monitors the official National Weather Service (NWS) alerts for your area. New alerts will appear on the status bar, and by selecting it, you can read the details.
You can also choose how urgent of a notification to get, based on the NWS Severity. An Extreme alert coming through? Then you'd probably like vibrate, lights AND bell for that! But a simple Wind Warning? Probably not as much. You can choose the level of response in the preferences.
Pro Weather Alert has all of the features of Simple Weather Alert, and more!
+ No ads.
+ Monitor multiple locations, each with an intuitive name you set.
+ See the details and instructions of all alerts for all areas.
+ See where around you the alerts are using the Alert Map. No more wondering if you're driving into or out of bad weather.
+ Choose how to be notified (lights, bell, vibrate), and decide which alerts will override your phone silence settings.
+ Sort and Filter the alerts in the list, by severity or location.
+ Two alert levels (“emergency” and “urgent”) are customizable, in case you want lights, bell, and vibrate for extreme alerts, and just lights for severe alerts. All other weather alerts will give a simple notice on the action bar.
+ Individually select which NWS alerts you want to be considered "Emergency" or "Urgent"
+ Alerts keep updated automatically as long as you have connectivity
+ Find your alert location by GPS or network location, and have alerts follow your phone as you move.
+ An app widget added to your home screen allows for easy on/off toggling of lights, vibrate and sound settings. The alerts will still be checked and put on your status bar though, so you can keep an eye on it during class or church, without it causing distraction. You can also toggle the location following feature to save battery when not driving.
+ Key words and phrases list. Create a list of words or phrases, and when an alert is received that contains those words or phrases, it will be marked in the alerts list with an icon, and the phrases will be highlighted when you read the alert details.
+ Email an alert to friends or send via text message (**requires Contacts List permission**), so they can be warned as well.
+ Post your alert to our Facebook wall or Twitter feed! This is especially useful for non-weather alerts, such as Child Abduction Emergencies.
+ Change your alert polling times to maximize battery life.
+ Constant alerting annoying? You can now mute repeated alerts so those busy storm nights don't un-necessarily alert you.
NOTE: Do *NOT* use RAM or memory clearing apps. It will disable this app and you will not receive alerts.
You can view the app manual here or in the app:
An explanation of permissions: The SMS and Contacts List permission are required so you can send an alert to someone via text message. The contacts list permission allows for easier selecting of the number.
IMPORTANT: While we take all possible precautions to make sure this app will get you critical alerts on time, the unforseen can still occur, as well as simple cell/network outages. Thus, we do not recommend that you ever rely on this app ALONE for tornado warnings. Please use this app along with other methods to ensure you are alerted in time.
NOTE: If you are certain the app is not sending you the alerts it should, please use Menu:Troubleshooting to send us debug info about it so we can work to resolve it quickly.
If you run into any other issues with this app or have questions, send us a note in the Menu:Troubleshooting screen. Also, visit the developers blog on our website for a list of current issues we are addressing.
Why is this important to me?
Imagine this: You’re driving down the highway, humming along to your favorite tunes, when the cell phone stowed in your bag suddenly makes a strange noise. To investigate, you take the next exit and safely pull over to check the screen. Good thing you did: Your phone just alerted you to a tornado a few miles away in same county you’re driving through.
Sound plausible? It is. America’s wireless industry is helping to build a Weather-Ready Nation through a nationwide emergency alert system, which will warn you when weather threatens.
Alerts received at the right time can help keep you safe during an emergency. With NWS Alert, alerts can be sent to your mobile device when you may be in harm's way.
What types of alerts will I receive?
Extreme weather warnings
Local emergencies requiring evacuation or immediate action
Presidential Alerts during a national emergency
The NWS Alert message will typically show the type and time of the alert, any action you should take, and the agency issuing the alert. The alerts will also provide GPS and map for detail guide .
Ahora disponible en español.
-- Featured by Firechief.com (11/14/12)
-- Featured by Wildlandfireleadership.com (10/2012)
-- American Red Cross Releases 'Wildfires' App, Helps You Keep Your Cool When Things Get Hot – AndroidPolice
-- One of the top 51 new Android apps – AndrioidPolice (10/2012)
--Red Cross Wild App Brigs Help at the Touch of a Screen – Occupational Health and Safety online
-- Red Cross Wildfire App Brings Help at the Touch of a Screen – Shetechonline
• Easy to use Spanish language toggle to switch translation directly inside the app.
• Step-by-step instructions let you know what to do even before/during/after wildfires, even if no data connectivity.
• Wildfire News section with state-by-state links to all fire-fighting agencies’ Twitter feeds and websites ensuring the most recent developments on current wildfires.
• Click-to-call access to your state’s 511 network for the latest traffic information in case of evacuation
• Let family and friends know you are okay with the customizable “I’m Safe” alert for Facebook, Twitter, email and text.
• Find open Red Cross shelters in your area when you need help.
• Stay safe when the lights are out with the Toolkit, including a strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions.
• Prepare for the worst by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation.
• Empower your family to stay safe and remain calm in an emergency by learning how to make and practice an emergency plan.
• Earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your wildfire knowledge with interactive quizzes.
-- Permissions --
DIRECTLY CALL PHONE NUMBERS: We need this to allow you to call emergency numbers from within the app
CAMERA: We need to be able to use the camera to allow us to use the flashlight in Tool Kit
GPS LOCATION: We need to serve you wildfire alerts based on your current location
PHONE CONTACTS: We need this for the Make a Plan view to allow you to add emergency contacts straight from your address book
Copyright © 2012-2014 The American National Red Cross
Weather Alerts uses the National Weather Service API to provide you with severe weather, right on your lockscreen or home screen.
This application requires Android 4.2 or higher, and the DashClock app to function: http://goo.gl/m5aUO
This application uses your last known location, rather than polling for your current location, to help conserve battery. This means that your location may not be up to date.
Weather Alerts is meant to provide additional weather information for the DashClock widget. It is NOT a replacement for a real time weather alert system, like NOAA weather radio. Please watch or listen to your local weather brodcasts for information on severe weather near you.
Weather Alerts for DashClock uses the United States National Weather Service API to provide watch and warning alerts. For this reason it is not currently available outside the US.
Quick Weather features these tools:
-Wind chill calculator
-Weather alerts provided by Weatherbug
-Current conditions, 10 day forecast, radar, and satellite from Weather Underground
-24 hour forecast from Weatherbug
Features from the National Weather Service:
-Local forecast data
-Regional radar data
-Storm Prediction Center convective outlooks
-Watches, Warnings, and Advisories by state
-Tropical weather discussions and maps
-Marine and Tide forecasts
Features from Weather Underground:
-Numerical weather prediction models from the GFS and NAM
-Surface maps including: fronts, temperature, heat index, windchill, humidity, dew point, wind, visibility, visible satellite, jet stream, and precipitation
Health maps including: UV, flu, and air quality
-Forecasts for the United States and around the world
Your feedback can help improve this app. Please send suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Not only are NOAA forecasts the most accurate, they provide unique point forecasts for every square mile which take into consideration all the variables affecting the weather at that point, such as altitude. This is especially useful in locations with highly dynamic weather patterns and is a great tool for being outdoors.
-View forecast & current conditions for your current location.
-View forecast & current conditions for any location in the United States by map.
-Save favorite locations to quickly retrieve forecasts for them.
-Animated radar & static infrared & visible imagery over Google Maps
-Hazardous weather alerts
-Current conditions notification
-Home screen widget
-Optimized for tablets
-Android Wear support
-Lightweight and does not run in the background.
An ad-free version of this app is also available:
Unofficial NOAA Weather+
Please e-mail me below with any bug reports or features requests. Thanks!
Free and no advertising!
Convenient access to Environment Canada's mobile friendly animated radar images and weather conditions (GPS locating is now active) Hot buttons provide quick access to: local news, road conditions and maps
Requires cellular data or WIFI connection.
1. Choose default location on initial start up and save to memory using fav button
2. Note play button just above radar image. Plays a one hour continuous loop. User can Zoom and move image while it plays
3. Home button brings you back to default home location
4. Press weather button to view current conditions and weather forecast for the radar location
4. Selection ALL shows regional composite view
5. Selection Canada shows all radars across Canada in one image (best viewed in portrait)
May not be compatible on all device and tablets have not been tested.
This app is developed in MIT app inventor environment,
Radar images courtesy of Environment Canada
The application is in beta, so please send any issues to email@example.com
Nimbus Weather is an unofficial application that uses NOAA's NWS weather forecasts and NEXRAD radar imagery, providing some of the most accurate weather forecasts available. It is designed to be both functional and easy to use, taking inspiration from Google Now's card views.
- Accurate weather data from the NOAA National Weather Service
- Geolocation to quickly find weather for your current location
- Animated NEXRAD radar map overlay
- Hourly forecast slider with hourly data for temperature, wind chill, precip %, humidity, wind speeds, and cloud coverage
- Weekly forecasts with detailed, handwritten descriptions for day and night
- Hyperlocal forecasts that take into consideration factors such as altitude
- Current forecast information from one of the National Weather Service stations
- National Weather Service emergency weather warnings
- Easy to use UI with smooth animations
- Ability to save several locations
- Access to area forecast discussions
v3.0.1 (2 December 2014)
- Increased speed of data loading
v3.0.0 (30 November 2014)
- Overhauled material design
- Updated icons
v2.2.0 (9 November 2014)
- Added area forecast discussion. This can be found at the bottom of the forecast information card.
v2.1.0 (9 November 2014)
- Added settings with option to use international units instead of imperial
- Fixed layout issue on older devices
v2.0.0 (8 November 2014)
- Updated to material design standards
- Now uses official CardView widgets
- Added layout for extra large tablet devices
v1.1.1 (2 November 2014)
- Minor fixes to geocoding
v1.1.0 (1 November 2014)
- Changed behind the scenes code base
- Location names now always use the area description name from the NWS
- Improved geocoding for searching for new locations
v1.0.4 (25 October 2014)
- Added option to switch type of map view in radar
v1.0.3 (20 October 2014)
- Fixed crash when location is not found
v1.0.2 (14 October 2014)
- Updated icon
v1.0.1 (12 October 2014)
- State names are now abbreviated
- Keyboard automatically hides after using search bar
- Added a button to delete locations in list
v1.0 (8 October 2014)
- Initial release
Canadian Weather from Abbotsford to Yorkton. Uses the most accurate Environment Canada data feed. Shows current conditions, 7 day forecast, and detailed forecast in one simple screen. Supports up to10 favorite locations. Displays satellite weather maps for North America and Canada. Displays radar information for Canada.
* Lightweight and fast no-nonsense app
* Displays current conditions in the home screen widget
* Easily switch between up to 10 favorite locations (new!)
* Satellite weather maps for North America and Canada
* Radar data for Canada (new!)
* Sunrise, sunset times (new!)
* Audible alerts (sound/buzz) on weather warnings
* Weather warning is indicated in the widget
* Select from over 800 cities and towns
* Unit conversion between Metric/Imperial
* Selectable update interval
* Current conditions include temperature (with "feels like" factor), wind speed, gust speed and direction, humidity
* 7 day graphical forecast
* Detailed text forecast
* Weather warnings with links to Environment Canada statements
* Automatic update of current weather conditions and forecasts