* forecasts for 35000+ spots
* observations from 10000+ weather stations
* configurable favorites, measuring units
* widgets for your home screen
„Windfinder“ is free, with ads. „Windfinder Pro“ is not free, without ads and with Superforecast (hourly time steps, available in Europe, North America and Egypt) and with Widgets.
The SurfWise public spot database currently includes surf spots throughout the United States. Other countries will be added shortly. SurfWise users from other countries still have the ability to create private surf spots.
The following bugs have recently been discovered on the back-end servers running SurfWise and will be resolved as soon as possible:
1) User must create an account before logging in with Facebook.
2) Weather and water temperatures are currently not available.
3) Searching the surf gear exchange by zip code will only display ads that have been created in that zip code.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause. Please refrain from reviewing the app until these bugs are resolved. Thank you
Tired of not being able to find a surf report or forecast for your local surf spot?
SurfWise is the next generation of mobile surf forecasting. Finally, an app that offers accurate, user generated, surf reports and forecasts for any coastal location. Turn any local beach break into a surf forecasting location.
-Create your own Surf Spots with detailed reports and forecasts
-Make your Surf Spots public or private (with the private setting, you choose who can view your surf spot, your secret spot stays secret)
-Get updated information including; swell height, swell direction, swell period, wind speed, wind direction, breaking surf height, water texture(chop), and user rated conditions
-Log reports for surf spots (users can log breaking wave height, water texture(chop), and a rating of overall surfing conditions)
-Add photos to each surf spot (show off that amazing ride you caught)
-Search public surf spots ,view a map or list of all public surf spots created by other users (currently US only)
-Need new surf gear? Check the Surf Gear Exchange (search and post surfing related classified ads)
-Check local surf shop sales (get an awesome deal on your next surfboard)
-All this and more….Try the app for FREE today!!!
SurfWise patent pending
This not the official Surf News Network app, just one created by someone who loves the ocean hopefully for others who love the ocean.
- View a complete overview of the next few days for swell and wind.
- Easily swipe through pages to find out a more detailed report of the surf for each day or location. Different colors are used to quickly indicate the size of the waves without having to actually read the heights.
- Effortlessly back and forth to retrieve the different tides for a specific location.
- Glance at NOAA Buoy information to find what the latest water temperatures, wave heights, and periods are.
- Quickly call the surf forecast hotline from within the app to hear the most up to date on location reports.
- Automatically update and store the forecast information so the internet is only required when performing a refresh. Useful for several locations on the island with poor service.
- Share all this information with your friends by simply clicking the share icon found in almost every page!
- Save your favorite island and height scale to view the information you want even faster.
Possible future features based upon interest:
- Source code to be published online
- Tide Charts / Improved tide navigation with calendars
- Notifications based upon the forecast (e.g. get notified when the North Shore is over 5 feet in the Hawaiian scale and the winds are less than 25 mph)
- Home screen widgets
- Weather forecasts
- Improved Quick Forecast page
- Notes to allow the user to save information about a specific day to easily pull up later to see what conditions were present
- GPS integration to allow quicker location lookup based on the users location
Contact: Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions.
More from developer
Current features include:
2x Homescreen Widget: 4 day wind forecast and a 7 day swell forecast.
2x favorite spots: All Favourite forecasts will be cached for offline use (great when you have no signal on a trip).
Horizontal and vertical scrolling forecast layouts that switch as you rotate the phone.
Share a forecast with friends by simply long clicking the chosen day down, and sharing to facebook, gmail, or other social media.
Favourite menu: Press menu to get details of the forecast Run, Webcams and Live Wind.
Any location in the world: Pick any location on the global grid from Google maps, and get a wind and wave forecast.
Request a Spot: Become Part of the community and Help me out by requesting a spot. Spotlists will be updated every 2 or 3 days.
There are Adds on this version
Currently WindFreak uses GFS and NWW3 forecast data, but with the support of the users WindFreak aims to run high resolution WRF models on a new server in the near future.
The app needs to access the internet to get forecasts.
The app needs this permission to check for a network connection
The App uses this permission to create a png image of the forecast if you decide to share it via social media.
The App uses this permission to allow it to Vibrate when doing "long clicks" etc.
The App uses this permission to check the license with google's servers (Pro Only).
The App uses this permission to create a unique identifier for the device, so any spammers can be blocked, and usage can be logged. It is a completely encrypted alpha numeric string that is created by hashing 3 of your phone's unique identifiers against themselves (making it impossible to decrypted on it's own), it is then encrpted again before it is logged at windfreak. So i end up with a completely useless unique key that Identifies each device using Windfreak. It would be impossible even with the source to decrypt this key.
I have spent best part of 9 months setting up this app and the forecast manipulation server behind it. I’d really like to continue to develop it further and run some cool high-res WRF models on a good server; however, I’ve just graduated and have negative money. If you can’t afford to get the Pro version, have an awesome time with the basic version.
If you can afford to support my project and help me to continue to develop the WindFreak platform it would be greatly appreciated if you get the Pro version, plus it has more awesomeness to it!!
Disclaimer: This is a forecast, if anything bad such as death, injury or wasted petrol happens to you. I’m not liable read the Terms and conditions!!