LineSmarts supports the following measurements:
* Pole lean
* Structure dimensions (including height, diameter, length width)
* Measurement of wire tension (including calculation of conductor tension under design load cases)
* Measurement of wire sag
* Measurement of span length
LineSmarts is available in two flavours on the Android Play Store. The free version can do everything the full version can do, except that it is limited to recording a maximum of five measurements and only support reduced resolution results exporting. Visit www.linesmarts.com for further details, including extensive tutorials.
LineSmarts provides several advantages over established methods:
* It is safe to use – Unlike other methods LineSmarts does not require: operation at heights, operation near electrified wires, operation of heavy equipment, proximity to or disturbance of mechanically loaded assets
* It can be non-invasive - In many cases assets on private property can be measured without setting foot on the property, in some cases without even leaving your vehicle
* It is easy to use – LineSmarts exploits the usability of modern consumer tablets and smartphones to create a tool that is simple, intuitive and a pleasure to use
* It is efficient – Typically measurements can be completed within minutes of arriving on site
* It is low cost – The equipment requirements for taking LineSmarts measurements, a tablet or smartphone and a laser range finder, are typically already be available within electricity transmission or distribution utilities, or can be purchased relatively cheaply
* It is accurate – Once properly calibrated, LineSmarts is a highly precise and accurate method for measuring overhead line wire tensions
* It is immediate – The results can be viewed in the field without requirement for post-processing or additional analysis
* It provides a record – The raw output from LineSmarts is a photo that is overlaid with the measurement result. The image can be stored as a permanent record of the assets condition at the time of measurement and/or emailed to those who need the results.
* It keeps getting better – Expect improvements and new features
We developed LineSmarts as a tension and sag measurement tool for the electricity distribution industry in the first instance, because we recognised that established methods for measuring sag and tension have significant drawbacks which can make them impractical. They can variously be too expensive, too complex, too labour intensive, too time consuming, too hazardous or just inadequate. Whether you are an engineer, surveyor or lineman, whether you work on LV, 11kV or 500kV, or use ACSR, AAAC or OPGW, LineSmarts will remove guesswork from your job.
Conductor tension is arguably the most fundamental and important parameter for the design of overhead lines. Discrepancy between actual line tension and the tension used for calculation, leads to error which touches on almost every facet of power line design, including:
* Support design - longitudinal, transverse and vertical loads on poles, stays and footings
* Conductor and fitting mechanical design – design for fatigue endurance and strength under extreme loading events
* Electrical design – phase to phase and circuit to circuit internal clearances, ground clearances and blow-out clearances to buildings, trees and easement boundaries
* Maintenance and construction design – for hazard identification and the specification of appropriate methods and equipment
Our goal is to provide practical solutions to anyone working with overhead electricity distribution or transmission lines including; engineers, overhead line designers, condition assessors, project managers, construction linemen, faults linemen and maintenance linesmen.