Once you have downloaded this application, continue to use your favourite BBC websites and apps on your Android device as normal. Whenever you play any video or audio the BBC Media Player will launch and handle playback of the content.
Users of Samsung Galaxy devices - especially the S5 and Note 4 - may be unable to play content after the upgrade to Android Lollipop (5.x), and may find that the BBC Media Player app crashes after a few seconds. This was due to a bug in the Samsung firmware which has now been fixed. Please ensure you update to the latest version of firmware for your device.
You may notice that when you install the app it asks you for permission to access your phone's network communication, phone calls, and system tools.
These are standard Android app permissions that are defined by the Google Android platform. The 3 permissions the BBC Media Player app asks to use are:
• Network Communication - full internet access.
Granting this permission provides the BBC Media Player app with access to the internet so it can play programmes.
• Phone Calls - read phone state and identity.
Granting this permission provides the BBC Media Player app with phone communication status and notifies the application if the phone rings or a phone call is in progress. We only use this permission to ensure that the BBC Media Player pauses if you receive a phone call and temporarily reduces its audio when you receive a txt message while watching a programme. The BBC Media Player app does not access or store any personal information, phone numbers or IMEI numbers.
• System tools - preventing phone from sleeping, retrieve running applications.
Granting this permission provides the BBC Media Player app with the ability to prevent the phone going to sleep when you are watching a programme.
- Watch live TV
- Catch up on the past 30 days
- Watch on Wi-Fi and cellular networks
- Download TV programmes to watch later (on devices running Android OS Ice Cream Sandwich and above)
- Browse Categories and Channels
- Cast content to your TV using Chromecast
- Share your Favourites across other devices with a BBC iD account
We know some Android KitKat users are having issues playing downloaded programmes. We're treating these issues very seriously and have raised them with Google who, so far, haven't been able to provide a fix of KitKat. We're continuing to work with Google on this and hope the issues will be fixed soon.
However, Google have been able to fix the downloads stuttering issue in Android Lollipop (5.0), so be sure to update your Operating System when prompted.
We’ve developed the BBC Media Player app to improve video streaming playback on Android devices. You’ll need to install this separately from the Google Play Store.
To make installation of the BBC Media Player as easy as possible, BBC iPlayer will prompt you to install it when you first play a streamed programme.
The BBC iPlayer app uses standard Android app permissions that are defined by the Google Android platform. The permissions the BBC iPlayer Android app asks to use are:
"Read the contents of your USB storage" & "Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage"
This permission is used to store downloaded programmes. The application must be able to write, read and delete these files.
Device ID & Call Information
"Read phone status and identity"
This permission is used to read the Android "Device ID". This is an anonymous ID that cannot be used to identify the user and is not used to track the user. It is used by iPlayer's content protection system to ensure that downloaded programmes can only be played on the device that downloaded them. iPlayer does not use this permission to determine the device phone number, whether a call is active, or the remote number in a connected call.
Other permissions (not explicitly mentioned when installing BBC iPlayer, as they are more general to most apps):
"Prevent phone from sleeping"
This permission is used by two features: Downloads & Chromecast.
While downloading a programme, the application prevents the system from sleeping when the device is locked, so the download can continue. This is only active while a download is in progress.
While "casting" a programme to a compatible receiver like Google's Chromecast, the application stops the system from fully sleeping when the phone is locked. This stops the application losing connection with the receiver so the phone can continue to control playback.
"Full network access"
iPlayer needs access to the internet to download programmes, schedules and information about programmes and configuration, and to send usage statistics.
"View network connections"
This permission lets iPlayer determine whether a network connection is available before accessing the network, and provide better error messages when it can’t retrieve data.
iPlayer also determines what type of network connection is in use (Wi-Fi or Cellular) for the Downloads feature. Downloads are enabled when connected to a Wi-Fi network. On a cellular network, downloads are disabled/paused.
"Test access to protected storage"
This allows the app to check if there is space on your device to download programmes.
To give you with the best experience, certain details like your Search History and Favourites may be stored on your device or securely on BBC servers.
To analyse and improve the app, it also uses technologies similar to performance cookies used by the BBC. You can alter your settings for this on your device. For more information about this and privacy, cookies and iPlayer more generally, visit the BBC iPlayer privacy FAQ page at http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/app_privacy, or the BBC’s Privacy & Cookies site at http://www.bbc.co.uk/privacy/
The Young Ones, Only Fools and Horses, Mind Your Language, Faulty Towers, BlackAdder, Minder, Doctor Who, Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Why Don't You, Wacky Races, SuperGran, SuperTed, Dangermouse, Rentaghost, Jonny Briggs, Grange Hill, Dogtanian, Batfink, Bananaman, Dynasty, Dallas, A Team, KnightRider, Airwolf and more!!!!
Relive those memories with tunes from yesteryear.
Please free to contact us if you have a request.
This app is almost 25mb so please download via wifi if you have a low data plan.
n.b. No copyright infringement intended, only for entertainment purposes.
Permissions fully explained:
* INTERNET - Adverts.
* ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE - Network connection.
* WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - Save sounds on SD card.
Some devices can only be used to manage your TiVo box but not to watch live TV. Check the Android device help for more info http://www.virginmedia.com/androidtv/
Winner 2014 TV Connect Award - Best Multiscreen Service
Winner 2014 TV Connect Award - Best Live Online TV Service or Solution
Winner 2013 & 2014 Connected TV Awards – The Companion and Second Screen Prize
Got Virgin Media TiVo® Service on your telly? Meet Virgin TV Anywhere! It lets you watch live TV, wherever you connect to WiFi in the UK, on selected Android mobile phones and tablets. What’s more, you can manage your recordings on the move, as well as search, browse, discover and share what you’re watching on 3G/4G mobile connection or with WiFi. Plus, you can use it at home as a clever remote control.
• Watch TV on the move, when you’re connected to WiFi in the UK. See our latest live and on demand channel lists http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/tvanywhere/explore/watch.html the channels available to watch depend on your Virgin Media TV package
• Browse the TV guide to see what’s on, up to 14 days in the future, and browse shows from up to 7 days ago.
• Set recordings & Series links for TV shows & movies. There’s no limit on how many recordings you can set and you’ll know instantly if there is a recording clash.
• Browse and delete your recordings if you need to make space on your TiVo.
• Sort out recording clashes and reorganise your recording priorities to make sure you don’t miss your favourite shows
• Speed up the way you search and browse. Search using your device’s QWERTY keypad, rather than the remote, and without taking over the big screen to discover great new shows & rediscover old classics.
• Share what you’re watching or planning to watch on Facebook and Twitter.
• Find out more about the cast and crew.
• Set up WishLists to automatically record shows featuring your favourite actor, director or subject.
• At home, transform your device into a second TV screen or a clever remote control and launch a channel, recording or On Demand show to play on your TV.
• Register up to two devices to watch live TV, in addition to your TiVo box.
WHAT YOU NEED:
• A supported Android mobile or tablet with WiFi internet in the UK http://www.virginmedia.com/apps/android/tvanywhere/devices/
• A TiVo® box.
• Your My Virgin Media username and password.
• Requires OS 2.3.3 to 5.0.2 for mobiles and 4.0 to 5.0.2 for tablets.
• For security reasons and to protect the rights of our content partners Virgin TV Anywhere is not supported on rooted devices where unauthorised modifications have been made to the operating system.
• For the app to work correctly, tablets with screen sizes of 7 inches and below need to use the phone version of the app rather than the tablet version; you should be given the correct version by default from your app store.
TO USE AS AN ADVANCED REMOTE CONTROL AT HOME:
• Simply connect your TiVo® box to your router or Super Hub using an Ethernet cable, Smart TV wireless adaptor or Powerline kit. You’ll find help to do this in the main menu in the app.
If you’re having any issues or have further questions check out the following links:
For more information about how the app works have a look at our Discover pages http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/tvanywhere/app/intro.html
View our Android Help page by selecting Help in the main menu on your device.
If you think your device should be supported, but isn’t, please talk to the experts on the TV Anywhere forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-Anywhere/bd-p/TVA/
Copyright ©2014 TiVo Inc. All rights reserved. TiVo and the TiVo logo are registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. and its subsidiaries worldwide.
Download the app to stream the latest episodes as soon as they're available or save them for viewing off-line later.