Language Hero Smart Chat is video and messaging chat for second language speaking practice.
Core Loop: Mandarin and English speaking users take turns selecting or building sentences, hearing an audio clip of that sentence and speaking it in their respective target languages. Partners help correct each others’ pronunciation.
Interface: Streaming video overlaid with text, a list selection widget, or image strips. Audio clips can be played automatically or on click. All content is bilingual (English & Mandarin or Pinyin)
1. English speakers select either Mandarin characters or Pinyin
2. Autoplay of sound clips may be manually turned on or off
3. Users can schedule future chats by date and time
4. Users can friend each other or unfriend (they must be friends to do language chat).
5. Users can accept or decline requests to “Chat Now” or to schedule a chat.
6. Users can view calendar to see upcoming chats or view them on Home Screen
8. Users receive push notifications of chat & friend requests and incoming chat calls
9. Users can view their chat transcripts
10. Users can message each other
11. Messaging chat lets users type in a word or two in English or Mandarin, causing the System to display all close matches. User then selects the closest match.
12. User can select a new module, changing the topic to one of 9 areas.
13. An “Explore” button lets users type a few words and select closest matches, shifting content to selected area
14. A “flag” button provides user with useful messages to communicate to their partner (e.g. “Please speak more slowly”).
15. Chat sessions are set for 10 minutes; after a session ends chat flips to the other speaker’s study language, where each speaker is studying a different language.
16. Users select new partners through a robust set of filters and through viewing user profiles
17. Users may select either English or Mandarin as the initial chat language after their partner accepts their call.