What is QMPLE?
The Quality Management of the Practice Learning Environment (QMPLE) web resource is developed by NHS Education for Scotland. QMPLE is used by all universities and practice learning environments across Scotland. It provides access to and reporting of data relating to the quality of nursing and midwifery practice learning experiences.
This includes providing nationally consistent approaches to:
• Student feedback on their practice learning experiences
• Quality Standards for Practice Learning (QSPL) audits and action plans
• Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) educational audits
What does the system do?
It will provide real-time information and reports on student placements and student feedback. The system is accessible to universities, practice and students.
• It allows students to complete their feedback which will be visible to practice staff a short time later. The system provides a built-in collated report on student feedback for each area and these can also be collated to provide reports at hospital and board level
• NMC educational audits and QSPL audits can also be completed online and readily available to both the practice and the university
• Up to date information is readily available to students who can use the system to access placement information and download any placement induction packs.
Why is student feedback important?
Student feedback is important, to not only supervisors and assessors, but also to senior charge nurses/midwives, team leaders, senior nurses and university staff. As it provides evidence that can be used to:
• ensure that students' learning needs are being met in a safe environment
• inform planning of future practice learning experiences
• identify areas for improvements and promote areas of excellence which can be shared with others
• provide evidence of quality learning within the Excellence in Care initiative (Scottish Government, 2015)
• provide valuable feedback to supervisors and assessors on the work they do with students and it can be used as evidence for reflection as part of Nursing and Midwifery Council Revalidation (NMC, 2015).
Why a QMPLE Mobile App
The importance of collecting Student feedback is key to delivering ongoing services for Students attending NHS environments as part of their learning experience. By providing an easy and effective method for students to review their placement information on their own devices as well as data relating to their upcoming placement locations and timings. More importantly they will receive notifications when their placements have been allocated as well as ongoing updates and alerts when they are due to complete their feedback information.
The mobile app provides students with:
• online access to previous, current, and future placement information
• confirmation of any changes and updates on the live system
• notifications when feedback forms are due to be completed
• confirmation when feedback has been submitted or is due
• online feedback form access for completion
• live messages, updates and notifications