Watch natural and authentic conversations in English in this video app, with audioscripts to help you follow along. Each video features:
- an audioscript so you can read along while you listen
- glossary to help you learn and remember words
- comprehension questions to help check your understanding
- pitch control to slow down the audio.
LEARN ABOUT UK CULTURE
Watch 24 videos to learn more about life in the UK. Follow the host Richard around London as he visits Shakespeare’s Globe theatre and Harrods department store. Learn more about the history of the English language and find out more about British entrepreneurs like Richard Branson.
WATCH VIDEOS TO POWER UP YOUR ENGLISH LISTENING
When learning English, practice makes perfect. We recommend you use this app several times a week, listening to the videos repeatedly to keep practising.
Use the app in three stages to maximise progress:
* watch the videos with the audioscript to follow along as you listen
* listen to the audio only with the audioscript to help focus on the words
* watch the videos in landscape mode without the audioscript to really test your listening.
Constant practice using the LearnEnglish GREAT Videos app will help you feel more confident listening to native speakers and improve your pronunciation. After using this app, you will understand more when listening to English, such as the videos and podcasts in our LearnEnglish Audio & Video app.
LEARN ENGLISH WITH THE BRITISH COUNCIL
We are the world’s English experts and we provide English language learning opportunities worldwide. We deliver English lessons in over 80 teaching centres in nearly 50 countries. Our apps are written by English teachers and language experts and offer grammar, vocabulary and listening practice. Check out our other apps and visit our LearnEnglish websites.
The GREAT campaign promotes the UK as a great place to study, visit and do business.
Learn and play at the same time through a variety of games like Memory Match, Jigsaw Puzzles, and the Magic Square among others. Explore Ancient Rome and Roman Gods through a wealth of amazing images (which you can e-mail to friends!) videos and informative articles. And as it’s from Encylopædia Britannica, you can be sure it’s appropriate and safe for the whole family.
Learning about Ancient Rome has never been more fun with this engaging, interactive and educational app based on the school curriculum. The app features:
Exclusive Encyclopædia Britannica curriculum-based content with high quality videos, images and captions written specifically for ages 8-14.
Coverage of the topic includes:
The Rise of Rome
The Roman Republic
The Roman Empire
Art and Architecture
Roman Gods A-Z – featuring 13 different Roman Gods including:
Then the fun starts:
Map – With this amazing tool you can locate where you are anywhere in the world. Want to see the where the nearest ancient Roman structure is? It’s easy with our map tool, and you can use the zoom feature to see the location up close.
Jigsaw Puzzles, created from classic Roman images. Break apart the puzzle and have some fun by shaking your device (iPod touch and iPhone only) and then sliding the pieces back into place to complete the puzzle - it’s not as easy as it looks!
Scramble images of Ancient Rome in The Magic Square game by shaking your device. Challenge yourself by re-arranging the squares to unscramble the image.
Brush off - brush the layers to reveal images of famous ancient Roman structures and then try to guess what they are – how many can you answer correctly?
Test your knowledge on Ancient Rome with the Quiz feature - how much have you learned? But hurry: you must answer quickly as the quiz is timed!
Test your memory with the popular Memory Match game and match up the pairs!
Why not take your exploration of the Roman Empire a step further and link to Britannica’s online services – Britannica Online for Kids or Britannica Online – to continue your discoveries.
Here is what is being said about Britannica Kids apps:
“…outstanding quality that Encylopædia Britannica is known for.” - Adam Curry, The Big App Show
“Encyclopædia Britannica launches new educational apps - what a BRILLIANT idea!!!” – Positive Parents (www.positive-parents.com)
“…I have been seriously impressed with both the content and design.” – The iPhone Mom (www.iphonemom.com)
Britannica Kids Solar System app is perfect for getting the facts right and exploring the eight major planets and their moons, the sun, comets, asteroids, gravity, and space in a really cool way.
Learning about the solar system has never been more fun with this interactive and educational app based on the school curriculum. Ideal for homework help, the app features:
Exclusive Encyclopædia Britannica standards-based content with high quality videos, pictures, and captions written specifically for ages 8-12.
Coverage of the topic includes:
Makeup of the Solar System
Asteroids and Comets
Formation of the Solar System
Studying the Solar System
Gravity and Space
Exploring the Solar System
Planets A-Z – featuring the 8 major planets:
Then the fun starts:
Jigsaw Puzzles, created from beautiful images of the Solar System. Break apart the puzzle and have some fun by shaking your device (iPod and iPhone) and then sliding the pieces back into place to complete the puzzle - it’s not as easy as it looks!
Scramble images of the Solar System in The Magic Square game by shaking your device. Challenge yourself by re-arranging the squares to unscramble the image.
Brush Off - brush the layers to reveal images of the major planets and then try to guess what it is – how many can you answer correctly?
Test your knowledge on the Solar System with the Quiz feature - how much have you learned? But hurry: you must answer quickly as the quiz is timed! You can also Tweet your answers and share your results with your friends on Facebook.
Test your memory with the popular Memory Match game and match up the pairs!
Why not take your exploration into the Solar System a step further and link to Britannica’s online services – Britannica Online for Kids or Britannica Online – to continue your discoveries.
Try it today!
Listen to everyday conversations recorded by native British English speakers in our LearnEnglish Podcasts series, and improve listening skills. Listen to podcast hosts Tess, Ravi, Adam and Rob chatting with different people and talking about different everyday topics, such as their favourite celebrities, making plans for the weekend, having a dinner party and which cities they like to live in.
The app helps you learn everyday English by providing 40 episodes and over 20 hours of free listening about a wide range of topics, as well as great new features that help you listen and understand the conversations.
LISTEN, READ AND CHECK THAT YOU UNDERSTAND
In every episode, listen and read along with a moving audioscript. The audioscript gets highlighted to help you focus on listening. Comprehension questions come with each episode so that you can check your listening and whether you understand the conversation.
HOW THE APP HELPS YOU LEARN EVERYDAY ENGLISH
The best way to improve your listening skills is to listen to a little bit every day and try to listen to a wide range of different topics in English. When you’re listening, try to remember or write down as many of the main points as possible.
FEATURES BACKGROUND PLAYING AND OFFLINE ACCESS
The audio plays even when the screen is turned off. This is a popular request from our users – thank you all for your feedback.
You can also:
- download episodes onto your tablet or phone and listen offline
- delete episodes after you’ve listened to them to create space on your tablet or phone. Re-download episodes when you want to listen again.
We love to hear from our users! If you have any feature requests, feedback or need technical support, get in touch with us through the Feedback and Support button in the Help screen in the app.
PERSONAL DATA AND PRIVACY
LEARN ENGLISH WITH THE BRITISH COUNCIL
Learn English in our classrooms with the world’s English experts. We’ve been teaching English for more than 75 years and have helped more than 100 million people in 100 different countries improve their English skills and build their confidence. Visit www.britishcouncil.org/english to find out more information.
ABOUT THE BRITISH COUNCIL’S ENGLISH LEARNING APPS
The British Council creates top English learning apps for learners of all ages. You can download our apps to practise grammar, vocabulary and listening. Visit our website to see all our apps www.britishcouncil.org/mobilelearning.
Free Arabic-English Dictionary, Translation, and English Learning app by Encyclopaedia Britannica.
This is the new version of the popular and accurate Arabic-English and English-Arabic free dictionary and translation app, with an updated design and many new English language learning features! Learn and practice English through vocabulary games Word of the Day, and flashcards in various topics. Create personal word lists that include recent dictionary look-ups and saved favorite words, for ongoing practice.
Key features include:
• Comprehensive Arabic-English dictionary with over 200,000 English example sentences.
• Full text translation in Arabic and English
• Easy to use – just type a word or phrase in Arabic or English to get its English or Arabic translation – no need to choose a language
•Translate anywhere in the device: Highlight words and translate them in Britannica English
• Human voice audio pronunciations in English
• Autocomplete – When you start typing an English word, the app will complete it automatically.
• Spelling corrections
• Reverse translation – tap any English word within the search results to get its Arabic translation.
• Word of the day – learn new words and phrases every day.
• Includes all English and Arabic forms and inflections
• Vocabulary games and flashcards – expand your vocabulary and track your progress by playing quizzes in various topics such as Banking, Food, Health Care, Cinema and more. "Learn Words" section is now available offline.
• Full Arabic Tashkeel (vowel signs)
• Save favorite words to personal lists for ongoing practice through quizzes and flashcards.
• Save recent dictionary look-up history to your personal word list.
• Share translation of interesting words and your games' results with friends.
• Registered users also benefit from saving their quiz mistakes automatically
• Constant updating – The dictionary is constantly updated with new terms, buzzwords, slang expressions, and idioms. Words lists and quizzes are also updated regularly.
• Helps you prepare for important tests such as TOEFL, SAT, and GMAT.
This new free version is currently available to Android 4.0 users and up.
Earlier Android versions can keep using the previous Britannica English version.
Please try this new version and send us your feedback through the "contact us" option. We value your input!
* Olympics data
* Geographic info
* Travel info
* Weather info
* Satellite + street maps
* Quiz mode
Uses Wikipedia's "List of Sovereign States and Dependent Territories by Continent" as the master list.
Brings together information from Wikipedia, Wikitravel, Google Maps, Weather Underground, the CIA World Factbook, and others. Email support for any suggestions!
Requires net connection and google maps. Ad-supported.
Let's face it, not everyone can commit full-time to learning a language. We know there are many things going on in your life: school, work, the kids, that special someone. That's why we developed WordPower Learn British English Vocabulary Lite for the ultra-busy, 21st century lifestyle. There's absolutely no reason to miss out on all the benefits of learning British English just because you're light on time. With WordPower Learn British English Vocabulary Lite, you'll start down the road to fluency and reap the rewards that go with it.
With WordPower Learn British English Vocabulary Lite, you'll master 100 of the most frequently used words and phrases in the British English language right on your Android device! The app doubles as a mini travel guide packed with cultural insights and practical British English phrases. Learn British English with audio recordings of a native British English speaker and a voice recorder so you can master perfect pronunciation anywhere, anytime. This list of the 100 most frequently used British English words is compact enough to fit a little review into you busy schedule. Study at your convenience at times and places that work for you! WordPower Learn British English Vocabulary Lite also comes with an addictive Word of the Day alert and free British English audio lessons when you sign up for a free EnglishClass101.com account inside the app.
What makes WordPower so effective? It's Fun, Fast and Easy to Use!
WordPower Learn British English Vocabulary Lite FEATURES:
- Completely redesigned UI. The user interface has been redesigned from the ground up to be much cleaner, beautiful, and more user friendly
- New! Android Tablet support
- British Top 100 Words: A special list of words specific to daily life in the United Kingdom. You’ll learn handy cultural insights with every entry transforming Word Power into a mini travel and cultural handbook (3G or WiFi required to access Wikipedia links within the app)
- Essential British English vocabulary all in one place showing you the spelling, translation, pronunciation, image, and class (Note: You will need an internet connection for the initial download)
- Sample Sentences: See and hear practical sample sentences with every word entry
- Free Audio Lessons: Learn more than just words! Access the newest EnglishClass101.com audio lessons when you sign up for a Free Lifetime Account within the app
- Updated Basic Resources: Want to explore the British English language even more? Learn everything you need to know with this comprehensive source of British English learning tips, information and material
- Easy to Use Design: Intuitive Android swipe navigation allows visual learners to browse vocabulary images quickly. Find everything you need without excessive swiping and tapping
- Custom Flashcard Settings: You're in control of your study sessions. Mix up question types (recognition, production, audio and visual) for a full understanding of each word
- Listening Practice: Hear each word's proper pronunciation by a native speaker
- Perfect your Pronunciation: Compare your pronunciation to the native speaker's with the Voice Recorder, easily accessible throughout the app
- Personalized Word Bank: Save difficult or useful words, with their audio files, to review at any time
- Advanced Search Function: Search entire database in English
- Progress Bar: Keep track of how many words you have really mastered
- Authentic British English pronunciation
100 words not enough?
Upgrade to WordPower Learn British English Vocabulary full edition to get 2000 more words and phrases!
Aimed at children who are learning English as a second or foreign language, LearnEnglish Kids: Videos provides ten fun videos to enjoy.
* Goldilocks and the Three Bears
* Jack and the Beanstalk
* Little Red Riding Hood
* Dark Dark Wood
* The Monster Shopping Trip
* Record Breakers
and many more.
Includes a parents' guide with information on how best to help your child learn English.
Get more great content at http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/
Learn English on your own schedule and on the go! Designed especially for Spanish speakers, Nglish is a free dictionary translation and English language learning app from Encyclopedia Britannica. This interactive app features a comprehensive Spanish-English and English-Spanish dictionary, word and sentence translation, vocabulary quizzes, flashcards, personalized word lists, and more. English language dictionary entries include synonyms, example sentences, related phrases, and audio pronunciations by native speakers.
How Nglish can help you learn English vocabulary:
√ Just type a word, phrase or sentence in Spanish or English to get its English or Spanish translation – no need to choose a language!
√ Easily grab text from other apps and “share” to Nglish for an instant translation.
√ Translate any term by voice dictionary search.
√ Expand your vocabulary with quizzes and flashcards. Track your progress through four different levels and learn over 1,000 words and terms.
√ Take personalized quizzes with words you choose to practice.
√ Save your words and access them from any device, and online.
√ Learn English with essential test preparation tool for students preparing for ESL, EFL, TOEFL, and TOEIC tests.
√ Share translation and quiz scores with your friends.
√ Choose your user interface (Spanish/English)
• Word of the Day. Learn a specially selected word or idiom every day.
• Autocomplete in both languages. When you start typing a word, the app will automatically suggest relevant options in English and Spanish.
• Automatic spelling corrections for any words you misspell.
• Reverse translation. Tap any English word within the search results to get its Spanish translation.
• Built-in review cycle. Automatically saves your quiz errors and dictionary look-up history to your personal word lists for further practice.
• Full text translation from English to Spanish and from Spanish to English.
The app was developed in collaboration with Merriam-Webster, America’s leading language authority.
Please send feedback through the "Contact Us" option on the app.
Visit us online at www.Nglish.com/spanish.
• Zoom in to high-resolution images
• Prepare your visit with maps and basic visitor information
• Stay current with event and exhibition updates
• Spanish, French, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian
'Your exhibition guide' is an invitation to actively explore art with all of the senses, to see yourself seeing and feel yourself feeling. Move through the exhibition as if you were an asteroid. View things from multiple perspectives. Think about how it feels to encounter art with others. Look at art and imagine it isn’t art. Drift doubtfully through an exhibition. Explore the vital friendship between art and reality.
Olafur Eliasson, known for works such as 'The weather project' (2003) at Tate Modern, London, or 'The New York City Waterfalls' (2008), often engages with natural phenomena like water, mist, and light. His art spans from installation and sculpture to photography and film. The artwork 'Your exhibition guide' is his first app; addressing experience and perception, it is a mobile laboratory that can be taken anywhere.
Add information to mySoil by uploading your own soil description, pH, texture and photos.
mySoil is for anyone with an interest in the soil; including gardeners, farmers, students, environmentalists and land-use planners.
mySoil is a free app from the BGS and the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology.
Shake your phone day or night, anywhere in the world, and the app’s clever search algorithm will present you with the most relevant artwork from Tate’s archive. It uses date, time of day, your GPS location, local weather conditions and ambient noise levels to match an artwork to that unique moment in time.
With artworks from Damien Hirst, Tracey Emin, Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Claude Monet, JM Turner and many more, Magic Tate Ball is a fun way to find art, giving you the Tate on tap!
Each artwork comes with a funny or facty Twitter-sized write-up. If it's a sunny day you might share in Constable's appreciation of the great British landscape. The rain might coax 'The Snail' by Matisse out of his shell. At lunch time you might find out why fat, and felt, are so important in Beuys's work, or a noisy after work drink might lead to Georg Baselitz explaining why he made a piece with a chainsaw.
Take your Magic Tate Ball to Tate Modern to unlock a super-secret bonus mode.
Magic Tate Ball is yours to shake, what artwork will this moment make?
Concept and content from Tate and Thought Den. Designed and built by Thought Den, with Mobile Pie. Sponsored by Bloomberg.
Kazimir Malevich, an artist as influential as he was radical, cast a long shadow over the history of modern art. This, his first retrospective in thirty years and the first ever in the UK, unites works from collections in Russia, the US and Europe to tell a fascinating story of revolutionary ideals and the power of art itself.
The app features:
-Detailed narration and curatorial commentary on 16 key works from the exhibition, accompanied by full-screen colour reproductions and archival images
-Interviews with 3 contemporary artists; David Batchelor, Atul Dodiya and Borut Vogelnik, whose practices have all been influenced by Malevich
-Conservation insights from Dr Maria Kokkori, research fellow at the Art Institute of Chicago
-A timeline of key events from Malevich’s life
Perfect as a guide to use in the exhibition and afterwards at home, as a memento. Or if you can’t make it to the show, use it as your own personal exhibition of Malevich’s work, to explore again and again.
Kazimir Malevich: Revolutionary of Russian Art is at Tate Modern from 16 July until 26 October 2014.
Commenting on 25 key works from the exhibition; find out more about Hamilton’s interests in design and consumer culture, with insights from the curators of the show and other commentators.
Perfect as a guide to use in the show itself and afterwards at home, where it can be viewed and listened to again and again.
The app features:
- detailed information on key works from the exhibition
- curators’ commentary
- high-resolution artwork images
- archival footage of Richard Hamilton
Please note: this app is only available for the duration of the exhibition, until 26th May 2014
Featuring more than twenty of L. S. Lowry’s iconic urban landscapes, Lowry and the Painting of Modern Life has been created to complement the first major retrospective of Lowry’s work since the artist’s death in 1976.
Discover Lowry’s art in detail with the Exhibition Curators, ground-breaking Art Historians T. J. Clark and Anne Wagner, as they share their expert views on Lowry’s unique aesthetic vision. View archive footage of Lowry discussing his enduring fascination with working-class experience in modern industrial Britain, and his lifelong project to give it compelling pictorial form, and find out more about Lowry’s life and times with our exclusive timeline.
One of Britain’s best-loved artists, Lowry is often thought of as a rather naïve Northerner, a provincial painter of “matchstick men”. In fact, as this multimedia app shows, Lowry was a sophisticated artist, whose work is closely connected to the painting of modern life that originated in France in the nineteenth century. L. S. Lowry is Britain’s pre-eminent painter of the industrial city. His work repays serious attention, both for its unique pictorial achievement, and for its historic importance.
Using the ‘At Home’ and ‘At Tate’ options, you can enjoy the app as you explore the exhibition at Tate Britain or use it at home, as your own personal exhibition of L. S. Lowry’s work, to explore again and again.
Lowry and the Painting of Modern Life
The exhibition is at Tate Britain from 26th June 2013 – 20th October 2013
The app was produced by Antenna International and Tate
The Muybridgizer freeze-frames the moving world, just as Muybridge did with subjects ranging from running horses to leapfrogging boys. In homage to the analogue Victorian beauty of the originals, users can Muybridge-ize their frames with grids and sepia tones, transforming their moving images into striking vintage-style pictures.