Is that blob on the beach dangerous? What’s the best treatment? The Jellyfish App is a one-stop-shop for safety and identification of jellyfish of the world. This feature-rich app puts expert knowledge at your fingertips with intuitive navigation and without jargon.
The Jellyfish App offers the following features:
• ENCYCLOPEDIA: Instant access to a wealth of useful information about jellyfish around the world. Hundreds of species are already included, from pretty ones to dangerous ones, and more are being added regularly.
• SPECIES INFO: Each entry contains common and scientific names, a photo, description, seasonality, locality, toxicity, sting treatment, and other notes.
• JELLYFISH NEAR ME: Instantly check what species are near you, while an interactive map allows you to tap anywhere or type a locality to see what jellyfish occur anywhere in the world.
• SEARCH: Find species by common name, scientific name, or image. A text search function helps even if you only know part of a name. Preloaded search options for color, size, and shape enable you to find species by feature, for example, all coin-sized species, or all purple species.
• CURRENT ALERTS: With one tap from the Home Screen, instantly see which species have current alerts.
• BLOOM BLOG: Check out lively musings from the jellyfish world from inside the App.
• FAQ: Should you pee on a sting or does vinegar really work? Wondering when is the best time to swim, or what sort of protective clothing to use? Check out the Frequently Asked Questions for the answer to these and other queries.
• ASK DR LISA: Upload photos or questions that will go straight to Dr Lisa-ann Gershwin, an international jellyfish expert with 25 years’ experience, for a personal response.
Want to know more? See our webpage at TheJellyfishApp.com, or check out our Bloom Blog at The Jellyfish App on Facebook.