Are you concerned about the amount of plastic waste ending up in our oceans? Get involved as a citizen scientist by using The Ocean Cleanup Survey App to help The Ocean Cleanup and the global community better understand ocean plastic pollution. Developed by The Ocean Cleanup’s leading scientists this app is simple to handle and allows you to report to a global database the plastic load in a river or ocean near you using your smartphone. This is the first plastic counting app that enables you to report plastic pollution in real time.
Why use The Ocean Cleanup Survey App? It is fun, it is easy, and it generates important global data for citizens, scientists, and decision makers to move forward in reducing ocean plastic pollution. By using The Ocean Cleanup Survey App you can join our mission to rid the world’s oceans of plastic and become part of the largest cleanup in history.
How to perform an Ocean Cleanup Survey? Download The Ocean Cleanup Survey App, go to a river or ocean of your choice during daylight, and pick a safe survey location such as a bridge with a decent pedestrian area for a river survey or the bow of your vessel for an ocean survey. Next, log in to your account and choose a survey duration. You are now ready to record in real time the plastic items you identify on the water surface by tapping the categories on the screen.
Using The Ocean Cleanup Survey Apps rewarding:
- Contribute to a global understanding of plastic pollution
- Help The Ocean Cleanup understand optimal mitigation strategies for rivers and oceans
- Use our defined categories to count waste items in real time on your screen
- View your results on our global citizen science map
Why do we need Plastic Surveys? Rivers represent a major source of plastic pollution. They are widely believed to be the arteries that carry waste from land to the ocean. With over 8 billion tons of plastic produced to date, a significant fraction of discarded products have been leaking into the environment, entering waterways, and reaching the ocean via rivers. We now know that this is currently happening everywhere in the world and we estimate that over 1000 rivers are responsible for 80% of the global riverine plastic inputs into the ocean. The understanding of waste types and quantitative fluxes is important to better inform interception strategies. The data generated by this app (thanks to you) will allow scientists to refine numerical models simulating the terrestrial transport of plastic to the oceans and its accumulation at the sea surface. These results will be directly impacting the design and deployment strategy of river and offshore cleanup solutions.
Become a part of the largest cleanup in history. As our global database grows, and if you are interested, we might invite you by email to take part in a special survey campaign at one of our rivers or ocean areas of interest.
The Ocean Cleanup Survey App only collects information pertinent to surveying and collects your name and email address for authentication and communication purposes.
The following data is collected and sent to our authentication servers during the registration process:
- If you register with a name and email address, your name and email address will be stored on our servers. Your password is never sent to our servers.
- If you register with a social media account, your name, email address, and a link to your social media public profile photo will be stored on our servers.
The following data is stored on our surveying servers when surveying:
- At the start of a survey, your location is requested. At that moment (and only at that moment), your GPS coordinates are retrieved, with the highest accuracy possible, to determine which location you are surveying. No further location tracking or positioning is done.
- Date and time of start and end of survey.
- Input parameter (platform height, sea state, etc.) and debris counts.
- A randomized string that identifies your account.