Is shipyard (a) female? From our perspective, it is. We invite you to take the virtual tour of the area of the former Gdańsk Shipyard. You will learn how a crane operator job looked like, what a regenerative meal was and where the shipyard nursery was located. You will get to know the character of work in the production and administration departments of the biggest workplace in Pomerania. You will listen to the authentic memories of female shipyard workers and see the archival photos. We wish to share with you the extraordinary everyday life of the Gdańsk Shipyard.
Requirements: Android Operating System 4.1 or higher
The application contains:
• 21 points with descriptions of places, fragments of memories and map locations,
• 20 biographies of shipyard workers ,
• a historical overview of the Gdańsk Shipyard and archival photos,
• a point location map with the Global Positioning System (GPS),
• unique recordings and spoken accounts of the life in the shipyard,
• information on the project.
The application functions:
• the Global Positioning System (GPS) on the former shipyard area,
• photos viewing,
• playback of recordings,
• social media sharing, among others, Twitter and Facebook,
• setting the font size,
• integration with the TalkBack system.
Note: It is possible to download the whole content and restore it later
without the access to Internet. In such case the app will take up more space in your device’s memory (about 100 MB).
Organizer: Arteria Association
Partners: City Culture Institute (Poland) | Women’s History Archive of the National Library of Iceland (Iceland) | Oslo and Akershus University College (Norway)
The project “Shipyard is (a) female – the project by female and male seniors” was realized under the Citizens for Democracy programme, financed from EEA grants.