MARRAKESH’S BEST is the ideal travel guide to Morocco's "Red City". It uses 755 photos and 52,000 words to explore key NEIGHBOURHOODS; detail SIGHTS & ACTIVITIES; outline ITINERARIES; and suggest great places to EAT and DRINK. All content is original and independent; no recommendations are ads!
The app is part of the TouchScreenTravels series: indie travel apps by pro travel writers.
Morocco's most popular tourist destination, MARRAKESH (spelt “Marrakech” in French) is city from which Morocco takes its name.
One of the great Saharan desert ports, served by caravans from Timbuktu and beyond, Marrakesh is known as the Red City from the ochre hue with which its buildings and even its city walls are painted. Its ancient Medina is sprinkled with riads, beautiful and often luxurious old houses now converted for visitor accommodation.
At the city's heart is its number one attraction, the Jemaa el Fna, a huge open plaza that packs out every evening as crowds gather to watch a carnival of storytellers, musicians and other performers.
The Medina, or old city, surrounds the Jemaa el Fna and is dotted with lively souks (market areas) and engaging religious sites and palaces.
APP FEATURE: TRIP PLANNING
Key before-you-go information, including:
• Costs & Money
• Information & Maps
• Seasons, Festivals & Events
APP FEATURE: NEIGHBOURHOODS
Meet the key city districts:
• Central Medina
• Northern Medina
• The Palmery & Sidi Youssef Ben Ali
• The Souks
• Southern Medina
• Ville Nouvelle
APP FEATURE: ITINERARIES
• Marrakesh In-a-Day
• Bicycle Tours
APP FEATURE: INTERESTS & ACTIVITIES
Backgrounders and practical advice on:
• The Big Six Sights
• The City Walls
• Parks & Gardens
• The Seven Saints of Marrakesh
APP FEATURE: LISTINGS
Where best to eat, drink, shop and more:
• Bars & Drinking
• Patisseries & Sweets
• Shops & Shopping
APP FEATURE: TECHNICAL
• One-click website LINKS.
• One-click PHONE CALLS (on phones).
• NAVIGATE quickly using the app's global search; internal hyperlinks, and its many images.
• LOCATION info (using your device's GPS).
• Detailed MAPS and the ability to ADD YOUR OWN markers.
• Save and share FAVOURITES.
• Easily CONTACT the author.
• The entire contents of Marrakesh’s Best is available by installing it above. The only restrictions are that this will only work when you’re online and only with intermittent ads.
• An IN-APP PURCHASE eliminates all ads and allows you to take all content (except maps) offline.
Daniel Jacobs, from London, previously worked for the Rough Guides travel guidebook company, and has authored or updated Rough Guide books in Morocco and other north African countries, as well as in east and west Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America.
REVIEWS AND RATINGS
Reviews and ratings are like gold dust to small developers like us, if you like the app please go back into the app store, find it and leave a review or just a rating. It really helps us. Thanks.
Icon Credit: Ben Ostrower on Unsplash
Feature Graphic: Melly Nahyun on Unsplash