Hosts manager application helping developers willing to modify their /etc/hosts (/system/etc/hosts) file easily.
This could be very useful if you need to test your app on a specific server via its IP.
Apps having root access are critical and their sources should be available.
This app is 100% free and the source code is available on GitHub!
* Best Hosts Editor app on the Play Store
* Blazing fast
* Holo theme
* Android 2.2 and above
* Free and Open Source!
* Support symlinks
* No ads
* Compatible IPv6
1. Enable/disable mappings
2. Backup & restore previous map-sets
3. Clean, easy & modern UI
Kindly report in-case you encounter any bugs or leave your-feature requests in comment, I'll do 'em for sure as this is my very first public-use application.
The application does not use the USB Host API, so it can also run on older, 2.x devices. Because of that however almost all functionality (except for the listing of USB devices) requires root (superuser) access, and a recent version of busybox installed!
The application needs a device that has USB Host (or USB OTG) functionality. Most modern high-end devices have this ability. Check the documentation and specification of your device (this functionality is usually called USB OTG or USB Host)
If your device doesn't have native USB OTG functionality, there are kernel patches for some older devices to enable the functionality, most notably for:
- S5PC210 (Hummingbird) based Samsung phones (Galaxy S, Captivate, Nexus S)
- QSD8250 (Snapdragon) based HTC phones (G1, Nexus One, Desire, Incredible)
You can find appropriate kernel drivers for these phones here:
- Hummingbird / Samsung phones: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1450298
- Snapdragon / HTC phones: http://sven.killig.de/android/N1/2.2/usb_host/
Note that these drivers might require skills to install, and may damage your phone and void your warranty!
More info about this application at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1468531
- Pinger can work in two modes: manual and by schedule;
- Notifies user when host is not available
- Allows save one or more host name or IP addresses
- Detail ping statistic for each host
- Allows ping all saved hosts by one click
Conventionally this is achieved by editing the hosts file on the client system but an android mobile device does not allow users to access or edit the system hosts file. But this is achieved here by setting the IP address in the application host file as the forward proxy for all the requests made to the specified host name.
Minimum Android version:4.1
Root Access: NOT REQUIRED
Fully integrated with Root Explorer. When browsing files in Root Explorer, selecting a database file automatically launches this app instead of the database viewer that is built into Root Explorer.
Non-root users can browse and edit databases on the SD card.
Data is displayed in a smooth scrollable grid and records can be filtered on any field value.
To quickly get to regularly accessed databases you can either add them to the bookmarks list or look on the recently accessed tab.
USB host is a very powerful feature of recent Android based smartphones and tablets, but on many firmwares (both stock and custom) the feature is somewhat broken.
For example, at launch the Galaxy Nexus told all the apps and the Market that it supported USB host, but USB host did not actually work (this was fixed in the Android 4.0.2 update). This broke several apps.
That is just one example of many. There are even cases where OEMs advertise USB host support, but the device does not support it at all. It appears as if USB host support isn't tested by Google or the OEMs when they push out new firmwares and devices at all.
As we cannot depend on Google or the OEMs to correctly provide information regarding USB host support, and the Android framework will regularly lie about it to both the Market as well as Android apps, this application was created so you can test your device's USB host capabilities for yourself.
If you allow it, the app will also submit your results to my website, so together we can create a complete database of devices and firmwares and their USB host support.
This tool may also come in handy for those porting firmwares.
- Android 2.3.1 or newer
- (Optional) Root
- USB OTG cable (unless your device has a fullsize USB port)
- USB memory stick, or another USB device to test the connection with
The result database is available here:
The discussion thread on XDA-Developers can be found here:
This app is not perfectly polished, if you have any complaints, please directly contact me.
Here I must express my special gratitude to Bert Cotton, who helped me to remove the dependencies of busybox as well as UI tweak and async tasking.
AutoHosts is an OpenSource app on GitHub, you can check its source code at:
Thanks for Kelvin Pan, who provides and maintains a reliable hosts for this app.
Hope one day we can have a accessible Internet in China.
* You may need to REBOOT your phone to apply the changes of hosts file.
* The DNS settings may become invalid after each reboot, if this is the case, please fix DNS settings after every reboot.
Ability to add/edit hosts entries.
Ability to enable/disable a group of hosts entry.
Added "Revert to Blank" and "Add hosts Entry" feature. The former will allow you to revert your hosts file to a blank one with one touch, the latter enables the function of add entry into the hosts file.
v1.0.2 Added Fix DNS function. Hit menu to enjoy. This function will automatically set your DNS, no matter you are on 3G or WiFi, to Google DNS and OpenDNS.
v1.0.1 Added Backup/Revert function. Now you the app could automatically backup the original hosts file.
v1.0. Initial Launch
Not only you can capture and edit photos on your phone, you can also share your editing skills with your friends and the rest of the world by sharing your photo on Facebook. Happy Photography! Enjoy photo capturing and editing.
Keywords: Photography, editor, mirror, color effects.
- Interactively designed user interface
- Support for English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, Italian, Russian and Turkish languages
- Edit a photo either by capturing it from your phone’s camera or selecting it from your photo gallery.
- Luminous Camera flash on photo capture
- Addition of color effects to your photo like sepia, grayscale, color inversion, filtering, color depth adjustment, color boost, saturation, mean removal, sharpening, Gaussian blur, tinting, noise, snow, hue etc.
- Addition of translation effects to your photo like rotation, cropping, rounded corners, watermarking, highlighting, reflection etc.
- Addition of HDR effects like smoothing, embossing, engraving to your photo.
- Sharing photo on Facebook or saving it on your memory card for future reference.
- Saving or reverting to previous version of photo.
- Improved user interface
- Improved photo capturing functionality
- Addition of photo selection functionality
- Fixing of bugs and crashes
HOW TO USE:
- Use the buttons on the top of the editing screen to capture or select a photo from gallery.
- Use the side buttons on the photo editing screen to preview any effect or modification you select on your photo. Click “Apply” to make changes persistent or “Revert” to switch to previous photo version.
- Click share to upload your modified photo on Facebook. Click Save if you want it saved on your memory card for future reference.
This application is an ad-supported app, which enables us to earn and keep developing good applications for you. If you have any queries or complaints, contact us directly instead of leaving a bad rating.
Thank you for choosing our application. We hope you have great experience with it.
It's pronouced as "i-o-ta".
- Support until 1 million characters.
- Auto-Detect multiple character codes.
(Whether you can decode or not depends on Android's implementation.)
- Change character codes.
- Auto-Detect linebreak code.
- Change linebreak code.
- Keep linebreak code until saving a file.
- Save position of the cursor with file.
- Save history of recened files.
- Search/Replace (Support Regular Expression)
- Text sharing with external application.
★Direct Intent : You can launch any one application on menu item.
- Scroll with Thumb-drag.
- Scroll with Flick.
- Support a Shortcut key with ALT/CTRL Key.
- Customize colors.
- Create a shortcut icon on HOME app.
- Customizable shortcut key bind.
- Text selector like Gingerbread.
(Double tap to select the word , then touch selected area to show marker.)
- Word wrap ON/OFF and set word wrap width.
- Set tab width.
- Viewer Mode.
- Show Line numbers.
- Word Counter.
- Support Landscape Mode correctly.
- Auto save.
- Auto Indent.
- Show Tab/Linebreak.
- Auto capitalize.
- you can used as SL4A editor.
- Customizable Toolbar.
- Customizable Syntax highlght.
- Capture Screen shot.
- Wallpaper customize.
- Support Android OS 1.6 or later.
- Support both touch-screen device and qwerty-keyboard device.
- Forever FREE and NO-AD.
- This software is an Open Source Software under the Apache License.
RTL-Language and bi-directional text is not supported.
★If you need a reply from me , DON'T put it in Market's Review .
Instead please let me know by E-mail or Twiter(@jiro_aqua)
You can send a message to me from Jota's Preferences Screen.
★If you need grep (search from multiple text files), try my app "aGrep".
★If you want to localize Jota Text Editor, see this page.
More from developer
Hosts Editor is a way to add, remove or comment out entries in the hosts file and now backup and restore hosts files. The hosts file allows the user to override an IP address of a specific url. It is convenient when wanting to access computers or servers on a network where the internal NAT may not be working.
Because it does edit the hosts file root permission is required.
The Pro version had a few added features, such as editing hosts, better formating when one IP address is mapped to multiple names and a confirmation dialog for deleting entries.
The backup files are stored in XMl format defined as follows:
** Searching may be slow **
This is because it needs to make a query against www.metacritic.com and then parse the search result. The search results are retrieved quicker on a faster network (4G LTE is great!). The XML parser speed is improved by a faster processor.
** If app crashes please report it so I can address it. **
Searches can also be initialized by typing in keywords.
Results are returned in an easy to read list with the Metascore, platform and release date showing. Clicking on a result will display even more detail, including the User score, summary, icon and the number of reviews.
Clicking on the product name will open up the review page on Metacritic's site.
Clicking on the User Reviews or Critic Reviews will transfer the user to the reviews section on Metacritic's site.
Metacritic Searcher utilized a third party barcode scanner. It was tested with Barcode Scanner but should also work with Google Goggles.