The Bench application measure the processor performance of android smartphones or tablets. 6 types of performance comparison are provided :
1) the 5000 digits of the constant PI using native code (x86, Arm or Arm7)
2) the same PI calculation using the Java Dalvik interpreter
3) An algorithm that use a lot of double in Native code
4) the same algorithm in java Dalvik
5) the same algorithm using the trigonometric fonctions provided by the Floating Point Unit in native code
6) the same algorithm in java Dalvik
The application executes one, two, three or four tasks simultaneously. This shows the performance gain in multiple core configuration. For exemple it shows the benefit of the HTC One X (quad core) over the HTC One S (dual core) when running 3 or 4 processes at the same time.
Results are given in milliseconds (1000 ms equal one second).
When a bench is done by pressing the "Go Bench" button, the results can be sent by mail, or paste into a note. The Bench application copy the last result in the clipboard.
The bench program also gives the relative speed of your device compared to the speed of the Galaxy Nexus (dual core, 1.2 Ghz ARM-7 architecture). 100% means that you device has the same performance as the Galaxy Nexus, 200 % means that your device has twice the performance of the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7 tablet.
The menu button gives access to my web page, where some results are given.