MoMA is a place that fuels creativity, ignites minds, and provides inspiration. Dedicated as we are to the conversation between the past and the present, the established and the experimental, our mission is to help you understand and enjoy the art of our time.
(Requires an internet connection.)
You can see the high-resolution images and descriptions of approximately 1,000 national treasures and important cultural properties owned by the four museums: Tokyo National Museum, Kyoto National Museum, Nara National Museum, and Kyusyu National Museum. The images of the items can be freely enlarged, and this allows you to fully appreciate every single detail. Some of picture scrolls and scriptures can be seen throughout from the beginning to the end. Additionally, you can quickly call up your favorite scenes or parts after adding to bookmarks.
Please enjoy excellent cultural properties from clay dolls in the Jomon period to modern oil paintings in a new style.
- By freely scrolling, enlarging, and reducing, see the high-solution images of national treasures and important cultural properties owned by the four museums of National Institute for Cultural Heritage.
- Search items by categories or keywords.
-This application and descriptions are available in Japanese, English, French, Simplified Chinese, and Korean. The language will be automatically switched depending on the application settings.
- A part or scene can be registered in Bookmarks and can be recalled later. In addition, the association with a Twitter account allows Bookmarks to be shared with other users.
- When using this application, you will need an Internet connection via 3G or Wi-Fi. Make sure your device is connected to the Internet before using it.
What can you do with Smithsonian Mobile?
• Plan your visit with museum hours, locations, floor plans, and more. "Favorite” events and exhibitions to create your own custom tour or scrapbook of your visit.
• Find our other mobile apps and websites and dig deeper into our stories. Tour collection highlights, watch videos, and listen to podcasts.
• Search our collections to make connections between museums, history, art and science.
• Use augmented reality (AR), "Smithsonian that Way," to discover the behind-the-scenes work of the Smithsonian's museums, research centers, libraries, archives, and affiliates in your neighborhood.
We want to hear from you! Log in via Facebook or Twitter to comment on our museums, collections, exhibitions, and artifacts. Share your expertise or tips!
Continually refreshed and renewed by both visitors and Smithsonian experts, there’s always a reason to come back to Smithsonian Mobile whether you’re on the National Mall, in a Smithsonian museum or beyond!
Developed for the Smithsonian by Tristan Interactive.
Timeline brings to life the paintings of such masters as Botticelli, Da Vinci, Micheclangelo, Van Gogh, Monet, Courbet, Klimt, and 73 others in an eye-catching and easy to navigate format.
★ App Features
‣ Complete details of the work including the title, year of completion, actual dimensions, creator, current gallery location, etc. paired with a high-resolution digital image.
‣ Brief artist synopsis including date/location of birth/death, completed works, and more.
‣ Slide navigation at bottom of screen allows for quick scanning through years, artists, and their paintings.
‣ Swipe with a touch of the finger to jump from artist to artist.
‣ Supports Portrait and Landscape modes.
‣ Currently details 80 artists.
"Timeline - Art Museum" presents both public domain artworks and works that are protected by copyright. The works protected by copyright are posted on the application in accordance with fair use principles, because:
1. They are historically significant artworks;
2. The images are only being used for informational and educational purposes;
3. The images are readily available on the internet;
4. The images are low resolution copies of the original artworks and are unusable for commercial use;
"Timeline - Art Museum" uses Copyright term based on author's deaths according to Republic of Korea Copyright Law, that is 50 years. In other countries, the duration of copyright term may differ. Artworks protected by copyright are supposed to be used for contemplation. Images of that type of artworks are prohibited for copying, printing, or any kind of reproducing and communicating to public since these activities may be considered copyright infringement.
Paintings by Renoir and Rothko, Bonnard and O'Keeffe, van Gogh and Diebenkorn are among the many stunning impressionist and modern works that fill the museum's distinctive building, which combines extensive new galleries with the family home of its founder, Duncan Phillips. The collection continues to develop with selective new acquisitions, many by contemporary artists, and the Intersections series features projects by contemporary artists, responding to art and spaces in the museum.
The Phillips Collection app lets you explore this exceptional collection of modern and contemporary art through audio tours and multimedia presentations. Visitor information, a calendar of events, and maps of the museum help you to plan your visit, navigate the collection, and learn more about the art you discover.