SMS Reader is an application that reads text messages (SMS) out loud (and from some 3rd-party messaging apps)
You can activate reading of incoming messages and also read recent messages manually.
Optionally, you can let the application display an incoming SMS in a popup before choosing between reading or dismissing that message, without having to unlock your device.
You can even stop the reading by shaking the device.
It can be used for example while under the shower, while biking or running, even while driving to read your messages without reaching for your phone, which is safer (do not forget to stop the vehicle before answering).
Moreover, it can be useful for people with low-sight, blind and old people.
The service that reads incoming messages is compatible with applications such as Llama which allows activation or deactivation triggered by various events. Check help for more details.
You can support the author by donating through the application, which will also remove any ad banner. You can also contact me for any suggestion, idea, bug and question you may have.
Like and share this application on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/androidsmsreader
The application requires the following authorizations:
- Receive and read SMS: required for the reading service.
- Read contacts: To identify the sender of the messages
- Bluetooth and audio settings: To stream audio through mono and stereo bluetooth devices
- Boot: To start automatically when the related option is checked
- Internet : For ads
The application uses the contact information exclusively to retrieve the name and picture associated with a phone number. There is no data sent on internet nor gathered in a file.
- Some Bluetooth devices may not work correctly with the application, especially with Android 5 and later. If you encounter an issue, please send me an email with the reference of the Bluetooth device as well as the model and version of your mobile. Thanks.
- Huawei mobile owners: On some models there is the Huawei app manager", on which you need to add authorization for SMS Reader or it will not work correctly. Check your device documentation for how to do that.
- If you experience frequent crashes when receiving notifications (of any kind), please remove the authorization for receiving notifications in the system preferences for SMS Reader. This is a known issue and the fix will be coming in the next version.
!!! Warning !!!
Samsung users on Android 6 (S6, S7 for example) should avoid using Samsung's built-in TTS engine, because it is broken. Refer to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26730082/illegalargumentexception-invalid-int-os-with-samsung-tts for more details.