Not successfuly Using: Galaxy Tab, PC Outlook 2007 Spent an hour 'trying' get it to work but only success in syncing was to manually sync. So much for 'Auto' In some cases received error messages on the Tab stating broken pipe when attempting to to force an AutoSync.. Actually "Zero Stars" but you have to rate at least one
Almost totally confident with it It was very unreliable until I found out that I needed to have my PC with a fixed IP address. Since I changed my PC to a fixed IP address it has worked pretty well OK. I have still come across instances when it seems to not be syncing for a few hours but I've yet to capture logs of this so I'm monitoring it at the moment. I'd recommend this. Also good support from Calvin at Vecal.
AutoSync worked flawlessly on my Galaxy Tablet AutoSync "auto" worked flawlessly. Here is what I did. o Registered my PC with the first sync. o Set the sync interval for 10 minutes for testing o Left VCOrganizer running in the background. o Left VCO Sync Center (on pc) running in taskbar. o Added a new contact and calendar event in Outlook Approximately 10 minutes elapsed. I knew it worked since I got a permission request from Outlook to allow access. I set the allow access for 10 minutes. I then checked the Sync history in the Sync Center, the new test contact and the new calendar event. Worked great.
Great App for Outlook users. The best Outlook and Android sync app I have used so far.
Fix the AutoSync crashes issue on Android 5.0