The Rare Bird Alert app provides birders with up-to-the-minute news of Vagrant, Rare and Out-of-Range Bird sightings for all of Southern Africa's Bird species. The project has been run by Trevor Hardaker since 2005 which started with bi-weekly Email Newsletters. The app now provides birders with the opportunity to receive up-to-date Push Notifications of New sightings as well as the latest Confirmations of previously recorded sightings allowing birders to know if the rarity is still present for them to find.
All sightings are initially vetted by Trevor before being pushed through to everyones phone to ensure only correct identifications are published, making the Rare Bird Alert app an indispensable tool for all birders
Designed by birders for birders, the app is packed full of useful features and ways to read and be alerted to the very latest birdnews.
• Breaking Bird-news sightings - Push notification alerts showing the latest up-to-date sightings recorded by the Birding public, as well as which Province or Country in Southern Africa and whether each sightings is a Provincial Rarity there or not.
• Last 100 Sightings map – see what the most recent birds are that have been seen on an interactive map
• Distance Out-of-Range (km) from recognized species ranges
• History – close to 10,000 Out-of-Range sightings from nearly all of Southern Africa's Bird species
• Species maps – see where Vagrants and Out-of-Range birds have been seen on an interactive map
• World-wide Range maps for all of Southern Africa's 971 species
• Manage your own Personal Rare Bird Sightings (contact Trevor to update your Username to the History Database)
• Submit a sighting – record your sightings quickly and easily, attaching photos to help Trevor confirm your ID
• Confirm Previous Rarity sightings by others to show that the bird is still present