* Access in one of nine different languages (Arabic, Bahasa Indonesia, Chinese, English, French, Hindi, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish) from any place in the world.
* Locate the projects in your neighborhood financed by the Bank, including the major awarded contracts.
* Receive Procurement/Tender Notices and follow business opportunities in more than 100 countries
* Get updates on pending projects in the pipeline, as well as latest approved projects
* Check the disbursements data, updated monthly, and the contributions to Trust Funds
* Engage with the Bank by sharing, following its projects and investments, or reporting back.
Transparency and accountability are essential to the development process at the World Bank Group and central to achieving the Bank's mission to alleviate poverty.
This mobile app complements the World Bank Group Finances (WBGF) open data website (http://finances.worldbank.org).
For more information about the World Bank's CAPI system please visit http://www.worldbank.org/capi
Solutions to many of the existing and evolving development challenges faced across the globe are hampered by the poor availability of critical spatial and temporal data. There are many new high-quality datasets (e.g. from earth observation and systematic collation and analysis of national data) available from a number of institutions (e.g. UN agencies, NASA, NOAA, CIESIN, IRI, The World Bank, etc.) that still are little-known especially in the developing world. The World Bank has committed to improving data transparency and open data platforms, including the enhanced use of mobile App platforms for promoting sustainable development that have benefitted from a series of World Bank Apps and App competitions organized by the World Bank.
The “Spatial Agent” Mobile App has been developed to take advantage of new capabilities to visualize this growing range of spatial and temporal development-related data on mobile platforms. The App demonstrates a simple but extremely powerful approach to visualize a range of public-domain spatial datasets through interactive maps and charts to allow for data visualization at different scales and ranges. The approach literally puts the globe in the users hands and allows one to access a burgeoning group of public-domain multi-sectoral datasets (including at global, regional, and national levels) being developed for use by various development-related institutions and governments across the world. So whether you are interested in water resources or climate change, disaster management or general development, this is a must-have App for you! The simplicity of use and wealth of information is sure to appeal to you – whether you are a student, development professional, or a Minister!
All the questions that enquiring minds want to know are now at your fingertips:
Which areas in the Middle-East have experienced rain in the last 3 hours? What does the global snow cover look like today? What is the population distribution in the Sahel? How have humans changed the landscape globally since 1700? What is the seasonal and year-to-year precipitation pattern in Entebbe? Which areas in the Caspian Sea have high chlorophyll concentration? What is the difference in the climate model projections for rainfall in the next century across models? Which areas are susceptible to earthquakes in Chile? Which areas in India have high child malnutrition? Which areas in Madagascar are susceptible to potential flooding? Where are the protected areas in Tanzania? How does Vietnam's GDP per capita growth compare with that of Ethiopia in recent years? What is the current level of the Aswan reservoir and Lake Victoria? How fast is the population in Lagos rising? How do the Niger Basin countries compare in terms of the % women in their parliaments? Which areas of eastern Asia have recently experienced Category 5 tropical cyclones? The list is endless…
We do hope you like this first release of this product - please do use the information with caution as many datasets are still evolving. Please do send us your suggestions for improvement, and especially new public-domain data services or functionality that you would like us to feature!
There are four distinguished features that add value to the World Bank’s current product portfolio:
• WB MacroStats combines data access on the go with an appealing visual analysis. The app was exclusively designed for mobile platforms, and it features dynamic bubble charts and customizable tables that can be easily exported by the user. • WB MacroStats uses a simple algorithm with two customizable criteria (per default, GDP per capita and population) and adjustable weights that allows for the automatic selection of peer countries.
• The app is automatically populated with the latest data available by connecting to the World Development Indicators API. Once the data is loaded to the app, no internet connection is needed.
• In addition, the app provides the user with up-to-date World Bank projections for key economic variables such as GDP growth and Current Account Deficits.
The app features include a quick access to the indicators – by theme or by country. The Advanced Query feature allows for customized displays of the data. App users can view data in tables, charts or maps, and share them through Email, Twitter and Facebook.
The App is available in English, French, Spanish and Chinese; select the desired language in your device’s Settings.
This tool is designed to provide all those interested in Africa with quick reference and a reliable set of data to monitor development programs and aid flows in the region.
The AFRICA DataFinder will be of use to students, professors, economists, researchers, and anyone looking to learn more about economic indicators and trends in the continent.
App users can access HNP data by country, topic, or indicator, and view the resulting data in tables, charts or maps that can be easily shared through email, Facebook and Twitter.
The HealthStats DataFinder will be of use to researchers, policymakers, professors, economists, students and anyone looking to learn more about HNP indicators and trends.