Queerstory: Mapping Toronto’s Queer History
Explore the sites and sounds of Toronto’s vibrant and storied queer history with the free locative app Queerstory. Take to the streets and navigate through more than 30 locations across Toronto’s diverse downtown neighbourhoods.
Uncover hidden stories about the political, cultural and social history of Toronto’s queer community in the places they occurred. Experience mini-docs compiled with rare archival footage and site interviews with a colourful cast of characters. Meander through two sites where artists lead you on their mediated interpretations of queer history.
For out of town visitors with limited data roaming plans One Zone offers competitive day rates:
Year Zero One YZO
in collaboration with
Idea Shoppe + Lost Time Media
This project was made possible with the generous support of the Ontario Trillium Foundation, the Ontario Arts Council and the Toronto Arts Council
• Using the map on your GPS enabled smartphone navigate though over 30 points of interest in Toronto’s walkable downtown neighbourhoods.
• View the story closest to your location at the top of the list format
• Experience queer history through two new locative media works by artists Keith Cole and Caitlin Fisher
• Explore hidden Stories where the events occurred through rare archival material and compelling site narratives
• Easily share each point of interest through your social network