Checkin to Foursquare Venues using NFC tags!
But wait: should know that this app is a little pet project. Consider it beta quality and let me know if you encounter issues before rating so we can together improve the app!
Here's what you get:
- Link to your Foursquare.com account
- Search for venues, write venue data to NFC tag
- Long-click on a venue to directly checkin
- Tap a written NFC tag to automatically check in
- A beep signals the NFC checkin and a status bar notification shows up. Clicking the status bar notification links to the venue web page.
This is an experiment using NFC (Near Field Communication) and Foursquare (see foursquare.com). I am not affiliated in any kind with Foursquare.
Here's what I use it for: for frequently visited venues, I created nfc tags using this application. I put the tags (stickers, really) at the entrance door of my favorite restaurant, at the coffee machine at work or... I think you get it. Keep in mind you first need to create the venues using the foursquare app before you can search and write them to a nfc tag using this app. Once you have tagged your locations, you can simply tap the tag to checkin instead of having to search for the venue, click a couple times, etc.
You need tags? Good places to buy them are tagage.net, smartcardfocus.com or nfc4me.com. I recommend to choose NFC-Forum Type 2 Tags, e.g. the Mifare Ultralight.
What's planned for the future:
- make tags read-only once written (Mifare Ultralight only)