This app contains John’s Gospel from the EasyEnglish Version of the Bible.
‘Gospel’ means ‘good news’, and John’s Gospel is one of the four Gospels that tell us about Jesus’ life on earth. John was a close friend of Jesus and he tells us many stories about Jesus and many of the things that Jesus taught.
You can read the Gospel from the EasyEnglish Bible and listen to it being read by Professor David Harris.
You can use the app on an Android phone or tablet. One you have downloaded it, you can use it without an Internet or Wi-Fi connection.
This app is completely free with no in-app purchases. You can share it with your friends and family.
The EasyEnglish Bible is one of the easiest Bibles to read. It uses short easy sentences with simple grammar. It is based on a vocabulary of 1200 common English words. Any special Bible words are explained in a glossary. It is ideal for people who speak English as a foreign language or want to learn English.
Some of the rules we followed when translating the bible are:
• Short sentences
• Only one topic per paragraph
• No passive verbs
• No split infinitives
• No idioms
• No rhetorical questions
• No ambiguous pronouns
• Not more than two clauses per sentence
• Not more than two prepositional phrases per sentence
The EasyEnglish Bible has been translated by MissionAssist – part of the Wycliffe Global Alliance.
The EasyEnglish translation team includes:
• Translators – People who translate the Bible text into EasyEnglish.
• Writers - People who write notes in EasyEnglish.
• Linguistic Checkers – People who check the linguistic consistency of the work. Our linguistic checkers normally have a degree in Linguistics or English (or similar) and a TEFL qualification. Experience of the developing world is also useful.
• Theological Checkers – People who check the theological accuracy of the work. Our theological checkers have a degree in theology (or a similar qualification).
• Editors – People who check drafts and final output for accuracy and consistency.
The main features of the app are:
• Friendly, clean and fast interface
• Completely free – no in-app purchases
• Offline use – you don’t need an Internet connection or Wi-Fi
• Compatible with Android Phones and Tablets
• Notes to help you understand the Bible
• Glossary of Biblical words
• Search for words or phrases
• Tap on search results to go to the verse
• Night mode – ideal for reading in the dark without tiring your eyes
• Works in portrait or landscape view
• Formatted text displayed on screen – one chapter per page
• Scroll up and down within a chapter
• Swipe smoothly between chapters
• Pop-up to select chapters
• Adjustable font size to make it easy to read
• Three colour themes (light, dark or sepia)
• High quality audio – listen to the Bible on your phone or tablet
• Audio toolbar
• Forward (>) and Back (<) between phrases
• Forward (>>) and Back (<<) between section headings
• Tap on verse number to move the audio selection
• The phrase is highlighted when you listen to the audio
• Share link to app on Google Play Store