The app will be closed the next 1 April 2018
It is distributed in Beta, meaning it can contain some mistakes. Meanwhile we will continue working to improve and expand its functionality, and to correct errors that appear.
What is CloseToYou?
It is a free service to locate and track friends and family. But always based on privacy. No one can see our the location.
In addition, battery consumption is reduced to a minimum, thanks to the use of Google services as GCM, and the services and functions of Android API.
How does it work?
Once installed, you just have to follow the following steps:
1. We use the google account associated with our mobile (google accounts are used to grant permission to see our location to others and that others grant us permission to see their locations). Our account may be for example "firstname.lastname@example.org".
2. To grant permission to someone else to see our location, go to the menu "Grant permissions", then "Add" and write the google account of the person we know, for example "email@example.com". In this screen you can also remove the permission granted.
3. To send an invitation to a person use the "Invite" menu.
4. The other person once the application has been installed follows step 2 and write our Google account. In this example is "firstname.lastname@example.org".
5. Once that person has granted us permission, in the display "Contacts" we can see "name@ gmailcom".
6. Select "email@example.com" from the list of contacts, the screen "Contact" opens, and in that screen we can
- Locate that person pressing the button "Where are you?", and in about 15 seconds we will receive the location.
- Once we receive the location we can see it on a map pressing the button "Open Map"
- Send our location pressing the button "I am here".
Where I can get more information and help?
You can find it in http://bigjoe.es/closetoyou
Who can be useful this application?
For people who are outdoors or traveling and have family or friends concerned about them.
What do I need to use CloseToYou?
Internet access and have GPS enabled.
What happens to the data of our location when someone request it?
We use a small server that acts as an intermediary between your mobile phone, Google Services as GCM, and the mobile of the person who has requested our location. We never store any data.