It connects to the Raspberry using SSH and uses omxplayer to reproduce the movies. So both programs must be installed.
To install ssh type "sudo apt-get install ssh".
Raspbian "wheezy" already has omxplayer installed, but this version doesn't work well with subtitles.
You can download a version that works with subtitles here:
Or you can install it by typing:
1- "wget https://github.com/downloads/torarin/omxplayer/omxplayer_3~experimental~git20121208~ebfa6fc6_armhf.deb"
2- "sudo dpkg -i omxplayer_3~experimental~git20121208~ebfa6fc6_armhf.deb"
The differences between this free version and the premium one are:
- The premium version has no adds
- The premium version has some configuration options, you can configure if you want to adjust the framerate and resolution to the TV (by default in this version) and if you want the audio to use the standard output or HDMI.
- The premium version has buttons to change the speed (ideal to fast forward the intros) and a button to turn off the raspberry
- The premium version has the option to change the audio language if the video has more than one.
- The premium version has a subtitles menu that allows to turn On/Off the subtitles, to add/adjust a delay in the subtitles and to change the subtitles stream if there is more than one.
Any problems or sugestions please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you don't own a Raspberry Pi, or you don't know what it is, keep moving, there is nothing to see here... If you do, stay tuned!
What is it?
- a simple way to watch videos on the Raspberry Pi with minimal overhead
- all you need is an SSH server (you will probably have this anyway) and OMX Player (naturally)
What is it not?
- a full-blown media player
- a generic SSH client
- a remote control for any other things on the Raspberry Pi, like GPIO pins, system monitor, etc.
I want to know more!
- large remote control for convenience, with alternative layouts
- supports hardware volume buttons
- keep browsing files while watching videos
- OMX Player connection running in the background to free up your device to do other things
- quick access to remote control via notification
- subtitle support
- optional "screen" support to re-attach lost connections
- password based SSH login only
- support "killall" as a last resort to get rid of a running OMX Player that you somehow have lost control over (try the "screen" option if your connection is prone to drop frequently)
- reboot/shutdown and TV on/off functions for convenience
- integrated IMDb lookup (IMDb app needs to be installed)
Help, I'm stuck!
- if you cannot get a file listing, try to log in to your Raspberry Pi using a generic SSH client with the same connection and user details
- if you get a file listing but cannot play any files, try to run OMX Player manually on the Raspberry Pi
- if that does not help, drop us an email
Oh, by the way, thanks for reading this far, and of course...
have a nice day ;)
More from developer
Sitting on the sofa at your home using Remote Shortcuts to listen to music, watch a movie in the company of your friends, view photos of your last trip or even submit a proposal for a conference. These are just some of the features offered by the Remote Shortcuts.
YouTube Channel(tutorial configuration):
Install RemoteSServer on your computer by going to: www.remoteshortcuts.eu
Setup is easy. Just download the free PC Server,start the server, follow the instructions on our website:
Bluetooth and WiFi connection.
The computer you want to control must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the device running Remote Shortcuts or with Bluetooth connection.
The program works through the simulation of the keys of the keyboard.
Every program started on the computer provides shortcuts that allow the execution of actions, through the use of shortcuts.
The FREE version has 5 standard profiles that allow you to control the following programs:
- Window Image Viewer
- Linux Image Viewer
- MediaPlayer Classic
The FULL version contains several standard profiles and the ability to create your own custom remote control with a maximum of 15 buttons with which to associate the shortcuts you want.