TrafficSense is a mobile phone application that collects data of travel behavior, offers daily guidance and encourages travellers towards more energy-efficient mobility habits. In particular, the application provides you feedback on energy efficiency and carbon footprint of your trips.
In addition, by using this application you help in creating data driven transport planning and assessing impacts of various new mobility services.
TrafficSense application collects data of the trips made and the mode of transport used (walking, biking, driving, public transport).
1) After learning your public transport usage, TrafficSense notifies you of public transport disruptions on the lines and times you use (available for Helsinki Regional Transport).
2) After learning where you drive, TrafficSense notifies you of traffic disorders, such as traffic accidents, at the locations and during the times you move (available in Finland).
3) TrafficSense displays your most likely next destinations from your current location and jumps to Google Maps navigation.
4) TrafficSense allows viewing of past routes and travel modes, as well as editing or confirmation of automatically detected travel modes.
5) TrafficSense displays and allows sharing of a personal energy certificate, which shows your average CO2 emission per km and ranking among other users of the application.
6) Allows to view the current traffic situation.
Public transport recognition currently only works in the greater Helsinki area. Public transport recognition is based on time and location, so please do check that your phone is in correct time.
The following permissions are needed:
1) "Precise location (GPS and network-based) and activity recognition" to record mobility and current activity.
2) "Full network access, view network connections" to upload the data to our research server. The background data usage is fairly low, but we do recommend a flat-rate data subscription.
3) "Add, remove, find accounts on the device" to be able to log you in to the service with your Google account. We do not ask or store your Google account or your contacts, but only an anonymous unique identifier provided by the Google sign-in functionality. With this anonymous identifier we can show you your data both in the application and the web-service we provide when you sign-in to them with the same Google account.
4) "Run at startup" to be able to restore measuring after the phone has been switched off. The application main menu has a "Service stop" selection. If it is selected, no more data is collected and the application does not start before "Service start" is manually selected from the application.
5) "External media storage" to save the energy certificate for sharing.
Additional battery consumption caused by the application depends on other software accessing the same services like precise location. According to our latest measurements the increase when the phone is still is negligible, and only about 4% during mobility.
We have observed that the power-saving features of especially Huawei devices turn off background services (including TrafficSense) by default. If this happens, please activate the setting from "Settings > Advanced settings > Battery > Protected apps > TrafficSense".
Do note that according to Finnish road and traffic law it is forbidden to use a mobile phone while driving by holding the phone in hands.
Additional information available from the web page of the TrafficSense project.