xbeam.me lets you transfer files between two devices via app or web browser. It doesn’t matter what kind of devices you use: you can send files from PC to smartphone, send files from smartphone to PC, send files from PC to Mac and so on. This way you can backup files like photos, music and documents, without an usb cable or share your pictures or documents with your friends. The cool thing about it: The file transfer is peer-to-peer (*), if both devices are on the same network (e.g. your home wifi), you can utilize its full bandwidth (superfast)!
***How to use it***
- On the second device visit the web site xbeam.me with your browser
- Both devices now have an unique ID (the six digit code on top)
- Type the partners ID on one of the devices
- Both devices will now start to establish a connection (may take 5 - 15 seconds)
- When the connection is up, you can begin to transfer files
- compatibility: You do not need to have a certain application installed on your computer/smartphone. A modern browser (i.e. Firefox, IE Edge, the pre-installed browser app) is all you need and should be available for every pc, mac and mobile device.
- super easy: just type the ID (six digit code) in one of the devices, and you are ready to send files.
- very fast: if both devices are on the same network (e.g. your home wifi), then the files will not leave this network and transmission is very fast.
- secure: the connection is end-to-end encrypted.
- wireless: you do not have to plug an usb cable, everything works wirelessly. Just open the app and send your files.
- multiple files: you can select multiple files at once, e.g. to backup all your photos. For your convenience, multiple files are packed into .zip archives.
***Why choose this app over cloud storage?***
- You may have heard of "the fappening" where hundreds of intimate pictures where stolen from celebrities, as hackers broke into their cloud storage accounts. This cannot happen if you transfer files with xbeam.me, because your files are not saved on any server! This is a big advantage, since no one can hack your account.
- Also your files will not be sent over the internet, but will stay in your local network (*)
- In your local network, transferring files is superfast
(*) In some cases where a direct connection is blocked by your network/firewall/NAT, the transmission is forwarded by a relay server (not as fast, but still good). Your files are not saved permanently on this server, and are end-to-end encrypted via DTLS.