Show Me for Emergencies is an essential free app for emergency workers and people with communication needs - like difficulty understanding English, hearing impairments, and cognitive disabilities. It uses easy-to-understand icons for two-way communication during an emergency.
Tailored icons for Emergency Shelters, Emergency Dispensing Sites (also called Points of Dispensing or PODs), Sheltering-in-Place, and Evacuating help emergency workers give clear directions. General communication icons for medical needs, personal needs, and feelings and support give people a way to express what they need - and help workers gather important information.
During an emergency, first responders and first receivers need to give information to and gather it from disaster victims. Show Me for Emergencies will help. Just pass the phone or tablet back and forth to show exactly what you mean.
- Communicate quickly during an emergency with a research-based augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) tool
- Overcome language barriers with clear, understandable icons
- Use the app even without mobile phone service or WiFi
For people with communication issues:
- Be prepared for any emergency - and confident that you’ll be able to get help
- Use big, easy-to-press buttons designed for people with physical impairments
For staff and volunteers:
- Get custom icons for different emergencies - blizzards, fires, hurricanes, disease outbreaks, and others
- Help people in need get around a confusing emergency shelter or other location
- Use the app as a conversation aid to save time, reduce confusion, and earn trust during an emergency
Developed by the Office of Preparedness and Emergency Management of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.